How I see MovieForums and You

Tools    

So you say youre a movie buff?

Imagine the mentality of a true cinephile. The deepest imagination, able to conceive which normal minds never even could daydream about, and able to recognize originality, plus the weight in how its all told.

Firm opinions. We are the wisest person in our group of real life friends, and who they go to when settling an argument about a film, or even taste itself.

Now we have found a place of people like ourselves. For me, it has been an education of film, Im humbled people half my age know & have seen twice as much. I try to be raw and real, no pretenses, and original. Thats how I see this site, and you. We should treat each other more respectfully, insist on it, as we are now amongst those like ourselves.

What say you?

You ready? You look ready.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Well said, Rob.

Meanwhile, that GIF: as a user, I love it. So smooth and pretty.

As a developer: "OMG THAT'S GOTTA BE LIKE 4MB NOOOOOO"

EDIT: just checked. 4.6.

So you say youre a movie buff?

Imagine the mentality of a true cinephile. The deepest imagination, able to conceive which normal minds never even could daydream about, and able to recognize originality, plus the weight in how its all told.

Firm opinions. We are the wisest person in our group of real life friends, and who they go to when settling an argument about a film, or even taste itself.

Now we have found a place of people like ourselves. For me, it has been an education of film, Im humbled people half my age know & have seen twice as much. I try to be raw and real, no pretenses, and original. Thats how I see this site, and you. We should treat each other more respectfully, insist on it, as we are now amongst those like ourselves.

What say you?

Even though some of my own faves are frowned upon by you guys... MoFo has turned me into a bit of a knob when the time comes to talking about film with my friends

Like, R.I.P.D (that pile of garbage Ryan Reynolds made) for instance... I hated it... but, had I not been on MoFo all these years, I probably would have liked it. Then a friend of mine said he watched it and really enjoyed it and I was all "You liked that? Really? Dude!"

Thanks, MoFo... you turned me into a movie snob

I agree with Tongs though... I am the go-to guy amongst my friends when they get stuck or want someone to settle an argument.

I feel exactly the same as you brother. In real life I am the movie guy. On Mofo people in their 20's are more refined cinephiles. People who should be my peers like Mark and Holden, I can't ever imagine aquiring their movie knowledge. That's Mofo , I'm grateful I found it. Adds some work and accountability to my hobby and that makes me a more well rounded movie guy.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Are you spying on me Tongo??? I'm exactly like that!!!

Thank you MoFo for making me the most special kind of snob I know in real life. And thank you for never letting me forget I know nothing when compared to you!

What a bunch of crock!

I was wondering when this was gonna get a sequel. I knew it would be fast tracked.

Oh, sure, TONG!

I love you, too! AHAHAHAHAHA!
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Peg.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	29600  

So far Blix is prolly my movie soulmate. Cites Mario Bava as best director ever...GOT SUCH A LADYBONER tbh.... omg. Thought I would be loooong in the grave before a post like that was made.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Glad u are still here Sexy.

I'm very well versed in cinema compared to what I used to be. But I've still only cracked the surface. Talk to me in 30 years.

So far Blix is prolly my movie soulmate. Cites Mario Bava as best director ever...GOT SUCH A LADYBONER tbh.... omg. Thought I would be loooong in the grave before a post like that was made.
I just spent like ten minutes pondering that.

Nice idea for a thread, Tongo. We could use more positive threads like this.

I've learned a lot about cinema since coming here, but that's not my main draw to MoFo. It's the comradery of sharing a passion for movies with like minded people. You just can't do that in the real world, but at MoFo you sure can.

Well said, Rob.

Meanwhile, that GIF: as a user, I love it. So smooth and pretty.

As a developer: "OMG THAT'S GOTTA BE LIKE 4MB NOOOOOO"

EDIT: just checked. 4.6.
omg do you wince every time we gif?

In July, it will have been 8 years since I joined here. I wouldn't say that MoFo has turned me into a movie snob at all. When left entirely to my own devices, I still choose movies primarily for their entertainment value, but participating in HOFs and preparing for decade and genre lists in particular have really expanded my viewing horizons. Taking direct recommendations from MoFos has helped me to discover some big favorites as well. So I've definitely learned a lot from my time here. But that's not what I value most about it.

For me this place is a way to connect with like minded people and not just in terms of movies. I've had a lot of interesting and engaging conversations with a lot of people here. Even though I've never met any of you in person, I consider the friendships I've forged here to be just as valid and just as valuable as many of those I've forged in real life. Even many of the MoFos that I don't consider friends I still look at with admiration and respect and I truly enjoy being in their virtual company. And that's why, even though there have been a number of times when I've become disenchanted and have considered leaving, even though this place has at times left me in tears or screaming obscenities at the screen, I stick around anyway.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I agree with Vicky, I never in a million years would come across films like Perfect Blue had it not been for you beautiful bitches.

I also got exposed to loads of new songs on here as well. Whitesnake's "Is this love" is now one of my favourite songs now that I listen to a lot and I only came across it because of a song tournament.

I also agree in that I've met an array of wonderful people here. Some to the extent that if they left, I'd probably be a lot less active around here.

If we're gonna get sappy, you know I'm gonna chime in.

The most significant thing this forum has done for me is to help get me out of my shell. Some of you know this already, but when I returned to the forum in… 2013, was it?… I was still the reclusive socially anxious weirdo I had been throughout my life, with the added bonus that I was recovering from a mental breakdown. While I have no fear posting whatever comes to mind now - which might not be a good thing for some of you - at the time, I had always been nervous posting my thoughts on here. Not sure why. That was the first way I pushed myself, and even if it was a virtual push, I’m glad I did. I gained a lot of friendships here that continue to this day, and felt valued and appreciated. Honestly - I have NEVER felt that way until I joined this forum. Never. The best shtick I’ve gotten socially all my life was third wheel. For some reason though, most of you guys embraced me. It boosted my confidence immensely.

When I moved, I was afraid of losing the one real life “friendship” I had, with this dude who seemed to value me less and less every day. But he was my only connection to the outside world. I didn’t want to lose that. Thank goodness I went with the move though, because when I got here my passions led me to get out there, meet people and gain friends, two of whom I consider like brothers now, and one of those being literally the best friend I’ve ever had. And my social anxiety, at one time crippling, is disappearing now.

I think I have this place to thank for that. Yeah this place has caused me paranoia and stress at times. There are people here who straight up don’t like me. There’s a lot of bickering amongst some of us, and I hate that. I hate that I contribute to it, that I’m so pathetic at times to play a part in breaking my ties with people. But I’ve realized I’m still figuring the social game out, and if my intentions are to be on good terms with people, even if I fail completely, well that’s all I can do.

If this thread is about the goodness of MoFo, and if my humanity means anything to anyone, then I guess the point of this post is to show you how much it’s helped someone. Without this place, I’d still be hidden away in a corner. I truly believe that. MoFo has allowed me to learn and be creative but, more importantly, grow as a person.