American Gods

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
I've read the book, but I've been watching these episodes and wondering what people think who haven't read it. Does it feel too disjointed to follow properly? The book goes back and forth between the old-gods narratives/flashbacks (for lack of a better term) and the main story of Shadow and Wednesday quite smoothly, but even I (knowing the story) kinda feel as if the scene shifts can be a bit jarring, making one regroup and settle in to the new change in scenery and characters every so often.

Having said that, I'm finding the casting and the sets to be almost exactly the way I pictured them as I read the book. Couldn't be happier with those sorts of choices. The only thing that feels like it's missing is getting in Shadow's head, which is always tough to translate from book to screen anyway. Our Shadow seems a bit blank in spots where I really want him to show us what wheels are turning in his head as things happen all around him.

What say you, non-book-readers? Hard to follow? Paced all right so far?

You can't win an argument just by being right!

What say you, non-book-readers? Hard to follow? Paced all right so far?
Hola MamaYods!

For me the pacing is fine. I just feel like someone slipped acid into my tea pot. Great looking show, though.

Ha, okay! Yeah, it does have that quality, doesn't it?

I absolutely ADORE Cloris Leachman in this. So great.
I think they;re all doing a stellar job.

This might just do nobody any good.
Did Bryan and co. just reference Dylan?

Laura's the joker, Shadow the thief. She's looking for a way out...

... nah.

Edit: actually, maybe. The episode certainly calls back imagery from All Along the Watchtower.

"... princess kept her view
While all the women came and went, barefoot servants too..."

"Outside in the cold distance a wild cat did growl.
Two riders where approaching, the wind began to howl."

Ep 4 is out over there, Saunchy?

Got the Starz app. Early upload.

You tricky devil.

Any more sex scenes that will flip people out?

May the gods smite you.

Hilarious meltdown on fb. One guy is demanding they cut the sex scenes because he watches it with his young kids (WTH?) and because he thinks everyone who watches the show is straight so they don't want gay sex scenes. I told him he'll go blind because the showrunner is a proud gay man.

Well that was odd. Especially walking

WARNING: spoilers below
around with her arm

I need the book readers in here. I have a million questions. OK maybe not a million.

I recently read the book, so ask away. Not sure I can answer anything too deeply theological/philosophical about the book since I haven't spent all that much time absorbing it, but I think I did pick up a few things along the way as I read...

I recently read the book, so ask away. Not sure I can answer anything too deeply theological/philosophical about the book since I haven't spent all that much time absorbing it, but I think I did pick up a few things along the way as I read...
I was hoping you would drop by mamayods. OK will put in spoilers just incase someone isnt caught up.

WARNING: spoilers below

1. Who is Laura to get the egyptian god - Cleopatra?
2. Why did she have superhuman strength when she was dead?
3. What was with carrying around her arm or was that just Fuller quirkiness?
4. Why was she so empty?
5. Why did Shadow love her so much?
6. How did he become zombie sunshine, or was that just her seeing him from the other side?

OK that will do for now.
I can say I am officially hooked.

I'm pretty sure a lot of those questions are TV-version add-ons. I didn't get a sense that...

WARNING: "spoilers" spoilers below
...Laura was Cleopatra or any other god. To me she seemed more of an aspect of Shadow's larger story, which will become clearer as things go on. The show seems to have chosen to lump a lot of "Laura" stuff in one episode, and for TV I think that works better than having her flit in and out of Shadow's story the way she does in the book. That works in a book but might make an otherwise disjoint TV show seem even more disjointed.

As for her own emptiness versus Shadow's ongoing love for her ... I don't think the book answers that question, either. Just as Laura herself tries to explain it to Shadow -- it's not HIM, it's just that she sees their lives as failures, perhaps because she wanted to have accomplished more than the simple happiness with another person that seems to be enough for Shadow.

Since I know a little more about where Shadow's story continues to go, I won't say more for now. I don't think this particular episode needed too much overthinking in terms of the larger story.

I'd love to hear from other book readers here myself ... since, as I say, I haven't mused too long and hard on the deeper aspects of Gaiman's thinking here.

Thank you, MamaYods. OK I'm satisfied with that. I have seen other non readers on the official AG page saying they don't know what's going on and the person manning the page keeps saying it will all come together.

She got pretty wild, didn't she.

I wasn't sure about the fly either.

The fly, I think, merely indicates that she is decomposing, which would attract flies. They show us the one when she is alive, well, just to set up that continuity. But notice at the end of the episode, she puts up fly paper in the hotel room because she's aware of the flies following her around. Ew. LOL

Thanks again, MY.

Pretty little thing, isnt she.

I think it's those doe eyes of hers.
Yes!

In the book, why was the god angry with her?

Yes!

In the book, why was the god angry with her?
Honestly, I don't recall even if it happened that way in the book. I think I may have read it too fast, too early in the mornings, all so I could finish it before the show started. LOL

Apparently I'll be rereading it soon.