American Gods

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
That scene is fairly early in the book, and the first really jarring thing that happens. But it didn't necessarily *confuse* me. It just made me think, "Well, that escalated quickly."

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Such a typical trope. I;m surprised Bryan ran with it in the show. He's very much a feminist.

This might just do nobody any good.
^ it'll trigger the usual suspects. If I were Bryan I'd'a kept in as well, just to watch them turn.

Side note: those short breaks in the story, detailing the other gods' experiences and survival in America, were my favorite bits.

The one about the leprechaun brought some tears to my eyes.

The one about the leprechaun brought some tears to my eyes.
I saw a mention of the leprechaun being tall. What is this sorcery??? Leprechauns are teeny.

I'm about to watch this.

It may take me a minute to settle into Fuller's super stylized version since the movie I made in my head while reading the book was very muted.

Okay...

Edit: yep. Right away, one of my favorite bits from the book got Fuller-ed.

Edit (2): pretty good introduction to the series. All the main players made the right impressions but take into account that I was in for this long ago so...

I'm wondering if network tv restraints on violence where a blessing to Fuller. Some of the stuff here is ridiculous but mileage may vary.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I just watched it here. (If you have Starz, you can watch new episodes of their shows on demand the day they air, usually right at midnight, instead of waiting till the stated evening viewing time.)

I agree with you, Saunch. I think they have the tone right, and the casting so far is good. Mostly the way I pictured everyone, and everything. The opening bit with the Vikings was great fun, too.

So far, I'm in. Gotta love McShane. Absolutely perfect for Mr. Wednesday.

After all my revving up for the pilot I forgot and watched a movie instead. Derp.

Ian was always going be great (though I pictured Stellan Skarsgard while reading).

And I know I sound like a broken record now (annoying) but another thing I need to settle on is Ricky Whittle being more intense than how I read Shadow. He's got the soft spoken personality but there's much more in his eyes.

For me Shadow was a reluctant protagonists, a pacifists of sorts, but here they seem to be going for "man releasing his turmoil". Someone who probably enjoys the conflict more than he should.

It's going to be interesting.

I'm wondering if network tv restraints on violence where a blessing to Fuller. Some of the stuff here is ridiculous but mileage may vary.
Can you clarify your comment about restraints and Bryan, Saunchy>

So on a scale of 1-10, how would you two rate the pilot?

By restraint I mean violence portrayed through network tv limits.

Here, he's free to show heads exploding with axes but in Hannibal you'd (more often than not) get the implication of violence rather than the full, stylized act. Or the aftermath.

Like I said, mileage may vary.

By restraint I mean violence portrayed through network tv limits.

Here, he's free to show heads exploding with axes but in Hannibal you'd (more often than not) get the implication of violence rather than the full, stylized act. Or the aftermath.

Like I said, mileage may vary.

I found his only restraint in Hannibal was T&A. I mean think about the scene with Will reimagining the first murder scene, or the death of the nurse. That was pretty violent, or some of the caca that happened to poor Chilton.

I will say, however, that I was very happy STARZ picked this up. Looking forward to seeing how out there Bryn gets. Cant wait.

Yeah.

Again this is me having an annoying adherence to my own idea of how this should be adapted that I'll get over by episode three or so.

Yeah.

Again this is me having an annoying adherence to my own idea of how this should be adapted that I'll get over by episode three or so.
Now I'm in quandary. What first - Better Call Saul or American Gods. OMG first world issues. HALPPPPPP.

Very odd, hauntingly beautiful, and that sex scene was so unsettling. Loving the chemistry between Ian and Rick.

Interesting review of THE SCENE *cue ominous music*.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/4/30/15...de-1-sex-scene

The Stand, I adore that book.
That would be a great tv show as well!

I'm hoping this succeeds (in more ways than Hannibal) and gets us a step closer to a Sandman series.

(Tatiana Maslany as Death!)

I hope it's a success as well, and breaks the Fuller curse. I already want to read the book but will wait for the season to be over.

I feel this is going to suck me back into the insanity of Bryan's head. It's a place of joyful nightmares.

The first review I read on imdb gave me goosebumps

I recall a review of Westworld where it was suggested that the entire medium of television had just entered a third cycle. The first was the 50s, the second was the 90s (major improvement in writing, imagination, use of technology) and the third is now. Where every possible mix of acting, dialog, SFX, etc. is now being used with just one single intention. To get inside the viewer's head, and make the viewer have a good time.

I am pretty sure this is another example of TV 3.0, as are other recent shows like Legion (which I still do not understand, but love) and Outcast (which I sort of understand, and also love.) American Gods seems determined to take this to an entirely different level. Even if you are die-hard fan of VIKINGS (guilty), the opening sequence here in episode 1 where the first Viking to set foot in America is literally "arrowed to death" is, well, unforgettable.

I have no idea where this series is headed but, like the others mentioned, it is addictive and unpredictable. More, please.
Yup!!! I didnt dream about this last night but it felt like a very quiet, brooding presence in my head somewhere. I would say I'm hooked.