Travel bucket lists, memories and more.

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I had to google jeju isl. Looks lovely.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
It really is. I went out of season so everything was quiet. Well, except for my ex complaining about everything. The place was peppered with gimmicky tourist pits though, like some weird chocolate museum next door to a three-floor teddy bear/history museum. I should clarify that. It was not an historical accounting of the teddy bear, rather it was general world history ...with teddy bears, instead of people.

Seonim Bridge was intense. And dizzying.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...l_Heritage.jpg

Not sure how to link pics via mobile.

I went to korea a few times but only Seoul and Pusan for visa routes when I was in japan. Really liked it nd the people.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I forgot about this part, but while we were in Jeju Hotel Latte, there was a restaurant just past the parking lot where I had my first experience with Soju.

They sat us at a floor table sitting or kneeling rather than a standard western style booth with benches. We ordered Korean bbq: Pork belly and beef slices, default sides of sprouts, kimchi, and various other tasty things I didn't recognize, all spread out on our table circling the center burner.

I couldn't read the menu but wanted a beer. Looking back, I suppose my desire was lost in translation between my non-english speaking waitress and I, a non-Korean speaking tourist because though I pointed to what I assumed was beer, she returned with something very different.

My first notice was how much larger this bottle was compared to the average beer bottles I was accustomed to, but I dismissed it immediately. The second thing that caught my attention was the waitress providing us with what appeared to be two shot-glasses. I thought how awkward and troubling an effort to pour beer from a perfectly functional bottle into a small glass, but I again dismissed it as custom in a place I knew little about. I respectfully nodded as she poured my first glass.

My girlfriend at the time drank maybe three shots during our meal before ending her efforts to then order a coke. I was left with the remainder of the bottle. The meal was delicious and overwhelming, as I hoped it would be based on the price of each item! I drank another "shot" for as often as I could to pace the bottle with the meal.

I remember my girlfriend suggesting I not drink any more, but I was embarrassed to leave anything in the bottle: one because as a simple matter of practicality I had purchased an entire bottle apparently, so I refused to lose money on my investment; and two, because in my OCD mind, all I could think of were the surrounding tables of Korean diners watching me, judging me, ridiculing me as a "tourist" who can't even finish a single beer shared with his girl. No. Some bastardized sense of American pride (or classic American ignorance) began to swell in me. I needed to be manly. I needed to be American. I needed to represent and prove to everyone watching that I could at least down a single bottle of beer. And I did.

Let me explain my drinking habits of the time. I had no drinking habits at the time. I occasionally had a beer with friends at the pool hall or with a meal, but up to this point in my life that was it.

Eventually the bottle was empty, the food gone, and the bill paid. Then I realized that I could not move. My legs were asleep. I assumed it was just because they had been folded under me this entire time. We sat for a few minutes allowing my circulation back into my legs, then I attempted to stand up. I could not. At least not without the help of my ex. I remember getting to my feet, looking around, and a sudden rush of dizzying panic realizing that I may not be able to walk myself out the door. I took a moment to catch my breath, and decided to just focus one step at a time. With each step forward I offered a rotation of smiles, nods, waves, and acknowledgments of kamsamnida trying my best to look sober at the gawking staff and other dining guests. Looking back, I now imagine myself then as a happy Frankenstein's monster, slowly dragging my feet one after another with a dumbass grin across my face trying to be inconspicuous.

I remember making it to the door and saying thank you one last time before fading out.

It wasn't until weeks later retelling my story and expressing my confusion to an older Korean friend about how strong Korean beer is, that I learned my mistake. He laughed at me and just said, "Soju no beer."

No kidding.

Holy hell has anyone been to Malta?

Been to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Seoul, and Jeju Island. But. I'd love to find a nice depressingly grey stony pebble beach somewhere. That would make me happy.
Come to Europe then. We have plenty of depressingly grey stony pebble beaches here. People here like to bathe nude too. What's better than a nude bathe in a depressing beach

Come to Europe then. We have plenty of depressingly grey stony pebble beaches here. People here like to bathe nude too. What's better than a nude bathe in a depressing beach
Is that why they're so confronted by burkinis?

Interesting facts on turkey

http://turkeywelcomesyou.net/do-you-know-turkey/

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I don't hit women.

@Thread: I don't like travelling.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I don't hit women.

@Thread: I don't like travelling.
If you dont like travelling not much point being in a...urm...travel thread just to say you dont like travel. Not much I can do to help you there.

Holy hell has anyone been to Malta
I've always wanted to go there. They were amazing in WWII. However, my Brit SIL said the heat there was brutal.

@Elessar

Sending thoughts to your family and friends in Vietnam during this flood, my friend.

Thank you my friend. We have several destructive floods in Vietnam this year

Thank you my friend. We have several destructive floods in Vietnam this year
Seems you got out just in time

Time to slap my bug and shake him awake.

Why would you visit Turkey? Because you're a lil bit cray cray to miss it.

http://turkeywelcomesyou.net/why-visit-turkey/

You've got red on you!
I spent 17 days between Aug and Sept this year in England, Scotland and Ireland. I had such a wonderful time, I'm already planning my trip back. We spent about 5-ish days in each place so next time I would love to stay longer in just a few places. The highlights for me were Dorset, between Weymouth and Lyme Regis, Edinburgh, the Isle of Skye and County Kenmare in Ireland. The B&B at which we stayed on Skye is for sale so that would be a dream!

I spent 17 days between Aug and Sept this year in England, Scotland and Ireland. I had such a wonderful time, I'm already planning my trip back. We spent about 5-ish days in each place so next time I would love to stay longer in just a few places. The highlights for me were Dorset, between Weymouth and Lyme Regis, Edinburgh, the Isle of Skye and County Kenmare in Ireland. The B&B at which we stayed on Skye is for sale so that would be a dream!
I would love to see some of your photo log, Sylvie.