Friends list

Tools    

You're such a cynic, dude.

At the moment, the benefits have to do with privacy. There's a new option called "Profile Privacy" which allows you to block certain elements of your profile from people who aren't on your friends list, if you like. Naturally everything is public by default.

Other than that, it's just a way to keep track of some people a little easier than others, which admittedly matters less on moderately-sized boards, but matters a great deal as boards get larger and more active (which we have, over the last few months). I think there might be an option to send mass PMs to your buddy list, and things of that nature, as well.

Beyond that, I have a handful of ideas designed to extend the functionality of all this, such as receiving updates on friends, and maybe some kind of notification system when a friend posts a review/thread/whatever. And perhaps a way to more easily identify them on the Who's Online page, etc.

There are a lot of other things that need to be done first, but eventually I see this as a) a way of organizing certain people as the board gets busier, and, relatedly, b) letting people get more of the updates, and fewer of the ones they don't.

Lol, it was a genuine question youz guyz. Some lovely people have been adding me recently and I was beginning to get paranoid that I was missing something. I'm too retarded to figure these things out for myself...

Sorry, my bad. I just assumed it was meant to be a suggestion that it had no use. I hereby retract my rejoinder.

Anyway, as described above it is, of course, of moderate use. Most of the value just comes from the social gestures involved, but I do hope to make it more tangibly useful. I've wanted to do something like this for a solid year, and was on the brink of expanding the old, threadbare pre-upgraded "Buddy List" system, before I heard the next official release would be doing that on its own. The timing was pretty remarkable, actually.

Well, i'm glad he asked. Thought Yoda had had an affair with facebook or something
Don't worry, we won't get too social networky. Your Facebooks and MySpaces have a few useful concepts implemented, though, so we'll gladly take the good and leave out the bad. A fine line, maybe, but I don't expect the core functionality to be interfered with. I'll try to make sure that, whatever options are available, everyone will retain the choice to just read and post without too many things getting in the way.

Lol, it was a genuine question youz guyz. Some lovely people have been adding me recently and I was beginning to get paranoid that I was missing something. I'm too retarded to figure these things out for myself...
Well . . . OK, I did think that it was your way of saying you didn't like that part of the update. I was thinking, "Here he's worked so hard on making it better, and . . . "

It's not like I told you off!

My life isn't written very well.
Oh Gosh How FUN! Are we soon going to be able to download worthless applications ala Facebook and inundate our MoFo freinds with them...?! :sarcastic: :wink:

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'm glad adi asked this.

Still don't get it though - I thought EVERYONE was friends here! It's the law!

I'm glad adi asked this.

Still don't get it though - I thought EVERYONE was friends here! It's the law!

RightUpTheLittleTramps@ss !
It makes thing easier when trying to pm someone. Don't need to go searching for that member. I'm talking about members you have known for a good while.

* Keeps starring at Nebbits avatar. *

* In a Joey Carp way. *

Arnie Cunningham- Right up the little tramps @ss!

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Hey Yoda, what about an enemies option?

oh loner, I like you already! Its the one thing Facebook fails to have.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
oh loner, I like you already! Its the one thing Facebook fails to have.
I like you too mack...

...for now!