Upcoming Rule Changes

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Kewl, thanks for 'splaining Yods - think I understand. I've absolutely no interest in taking part in 'confrontations' either here or anywhere else on t'interweb so I should be ok then. I'll just try to make it even clearer when I'm being daft (that's most of the time really ).

Carry on .... and anything that helps keep this a nice, harmonious place is fine by me
Ha! And here I was about to ask Yoda for a sparring dojo so I could cork your thigh a few times, Chyp.

All looks good to me.

OK, I won't debate the point of intent, as you stated that you don't want to debate this too much, and I respect that request......Which brings me to another behavior that has lead to problems on the board...thecontinual nit picking under the guise of debate by one person, on another person who doesn't want to engage in arguments. Some members use this as a form of aggression.

Maybe they can't stop themselves, or maybe they don't realize how hurtful their behavior can be, but it is a problem. We seen someone complain about that on The Trump thread recently.
If you can link me (privately, I would prefer, just to keep this thread clean for now) to an example I can give a better response. But I will say that I'm also considering some kind of rule about forcing debate. Which is to say, everyone gets the right to respectfully decline an argument without being continually harassed about it. There would have to be caveats about actually removing yourself from the dialogue (IE: you can't say "I'm not debating" but then continually affirm the things you won't debate), but I think this would help with the kind of thing you're talking about.

That said, keep in mind that we're not going to be able to eliminate every annoyance or "form of aggression." People are still going to grate on each other, nitpick each other, or annoy each other somtetimes. We just want to stop it from spiraling out of control.

There would have to be caveats about actually removing yourself from the dialogue (IE: you can't say "I'm not debating" but then continually affirm the things you won't debate),
That makes a lot of cents.

How do you distinguish that from honest questions? Can't a person just say "I'm not interested, please stop tagging me in mentions" or something?
A honest question, or a honest debate if fine...but...when and if a a persons says: "I through discussing this!"...then the other person needs to stop hammering them. Over use of aggressive debating is an underhanded disingenuous way of attacking someone.

A honest question, or a honest debate if fine...but...when and if a a persons says: "I through discussing this!"...then the other person needs to stop hammering them. Over use of aggressive debating is an underhanded disingenuous way of attacking someone.
Hard to debate somebody who's not arguing back.

....But I will say that I'm also considering some kind of rule about forcing debate. Which is to say, everyone gets the right to respectfully decline an argument without being continually harassed about it. There would have to be caveats about actually removing yourself from the dialogue (IE: you can't say "I'm not debating" but then continually affirm the things you won't debate), but I think this would help with the kind of thing you're talking about...
That's is very helpful. (BTW I'm not suggesting anyone gets in trouble for aggressive unwanted debating, but a PM from you asking them to stop would go a long way in preventing problems).

These changes sound great, although, you might have your hands full.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Kewl, thanks for 'splaining Yods - think I understand. I've absolutely no interest in taking part in 'confrontations' either here or anywhere else on t'interweb so I should be ok then. I'll just try to make it even clearer when I'm being daft (that's most of the time really ).

Carry on .... and anything that helps keep this a nice, harmonious place is fine by me
Basically, it's 'play the ball not the man' or 'attack the post, not the poster'.