Do you see these movies being rebooted?

Tools    

I know Robert zemeckis and bob gale have both said that they will never reboot back to the future plus Zemeckis has said he won’t reboot the franchise over his dead body I don’t know if he was being serious about that or not this seemed a bit over exaggerated. Zemeckis and Gale has said they will block any attempt of anyone trying to reboot the franchise I know that’s their right but don’t you think it’s kind of selfish to not give another new director a chance? Spielberg has firmly recently said no to a jaws reboot but with all of the shark movies that are recently coming out like the shallows, the Meg, 47 meters down, deep blue sea and coming up Great White starting Katrina Bowden it’s odd that Jaws hasn’t been touched you don’t think we will ever see a reboot of jaws ever. I mean a replica model of Bruce the shark is being put up in the Academy Of Motion Pictures museum opening up in late 2021 and it happens to be the last shark from the junkyard so why would they go out of their way to put this in a new academy museum plus this shark model has been reconstructed. ET will we ever see a reboot of this? Waterworld? Will Close Encounters of the Third Kind ever get a reboot? 20,000 leagues under the sea? The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? Alien? Poltergeist? Terminator ever get a reboot just asking. I’ll even go with Titanic any classic hit movie do you think will ever get rebooted? How about the Goonies?

To answer the question in the second sentence, no, I don’t think it’s selfish in the slightest. People should make their own ****ing art from scratch or not bother turning up to the party. If anything, vetoing reboots stimulates the new generation’s creativity.

I certainly wouldn't mind if they tried rebooting back to the future. The original is great, but not without its faults. I'd love to see a version that is taken seriously enough that I can buy into the premise.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
I know Robert zemeckis and bob gale have both said that they will never reboot back to the future plus Zemeckis has said he won’t reboot the franchise over his dead body I don’t know if he was being serious about that or not this seemed a bit over exaggerated. Zemeckis and Gale has said they will block any attempt of anyone trying to reboot the franchise I know that’s their right but don’t you think it’s kind of selfish to not give another new director a chance? Spielberg has firmly recently said no to a jaws reboot but with all of the shark movies that are recently coming out like the shallows, the Meg, 47 meters down, deep blue sea and coming up Great White starting Katrina Bowden it’s odd that Jaws hasn’t been touched you don’t think we will ever see a reboot of jaws ever. I mean a replica model of Bruce the shark is being put up in the Academy Of Motion Pictures museum opening up in late 2021 and it happens to be the last shark from the junkyard so why would they go out of their way to put this in a new academy museum plus this shark model has been reconstructed. ET will we ever see a reboot of this? Waterworld? Will Close Encounters of the Third Kind ever get a reboot? 20,000 leagues under the sea? The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? Alien? Poltergeist? Terminator ever get a reboot just asking. I’ll even go with Titanic any classic hit movie do you think will ever get rebooted? How about the Goonies?
Back to the Future simply can't. It's way too impure by today's standards. The current cultural climate is much too violent and too unforgiving for it.

Jaws, that would be pointless. The million sharks movies that followed (and the other monster movies it inspired) are already everything that a "reboot" would be : essentially the same story, with other actors. Having the same character names would not add anything.

E.T., I doubt it. It's possible, but again, we have many stories about stranded benevolent aliens, so, the plot can be re-told and declined without a reboot.

Waterworld, yes, that would be nice. That movie is a failure, but the concept of Mad Max on the ocean is great. Play it less stupidly messianic, less absurdly mutant-ish, and don't
WARNING: spoilers below
retroactively spoil the universe's feel by showing land at the end
, and it is an opportinity that may be not missed that time.

Close Encounters, I doubt it. Many first contact movies, no sense in naming it the same way and showing the same exact barebone story nowadays.

20000 Leagues, yes. This is a very rich novel that can afford a lot of takes, a lot of designs, a lot of styles. There should be (even) more versions of it.

LXG, possibly. The first two volumes are absolutely brilliant, and the movie has nothing to do with them. So why not a more faithful adaptation ?

Alien, no way, I think. Again, if they want to "do" Alien, all they have to do is, jaws-like, a movie about another spaceship finding another egg. But that original is already so tight, so artsy, so giger-y, re-doing it would be as pointless as a Gus Van Sant Psycho.

Poltergeist, why not, given how many Amityville we got, it's almost like re-telling a legend. I'm surprised they didn't already remake it (and shoehorned the two abject scammers in it). There's something about ghost movies that lends itself to direct remakes for some reason.

Terminator, I could imagine it having a semi-ignored remake à la The Thing or Total Recall (or even Robocop, an interesting take that still won't get out of the original's shadow). But I think Terminator is a film that worked because of its stylistic perfect storm, and any change would bring it down to generic cyborg B-movie level. I don't like Schwarzenegger much a an actor (and way less as a person), and I think even his machine-like acting is overrated (he still has facial expressions that a robot wouldn't), but still, he's a presence that makes the film work, and I couldn't imagine its success with, say, the originally planned Henriksen, or whatever Vin Diesel or Dwayne Johnson they'd put in the role.

Titanic, yes of course. There's many films about the Titanic, there will be many more. It doesn't have to feature the same love story or framing device though. Still, it will be hard to out-titanic it, in the sense of showing how it really looked like (the main appeal to Cameron's take).

The Goonies, no idea. I don't really see why not.

In fact, I'm curious about the next cinema takes on Dracula and Frankenstein (sooner or later). I hope we'll have, some day, a high quality, high production level attempt at faithful adaptations. For real, this time.

Hate to see anyone messing with Back to the Future...that film is perfect screen entertainment.

The more I think about it, the worse that movie seems. There's something off about all of the characters, that doesn't mesh well with the script. It's like somebody wrote it to be played straight, but Zemeckis gave each actor a huge snort of cocaine before yelling "Action!"

Then can we really ignore the cringe? The fish under the sea party where Marty is allowed to play guitar for the band starts out as a complete train wreck because Marty doesn't have any fingers. The after they muddle their way through that song, he's asked to do another one, so he... yuck! I've heard of Johnny B. Goode, but that was Johnny B Bad! His solo sucked, sliding around on the floor was just plain stupid, and then he ends it by kicking what is obviously a practice amp.

Is the power of love really a good song? No! It's sappy and stupid. are the skateboard scenes exciting? I felt embarrassed for him the entire time, except the last few seconds before Biff hits the manure truck. And while we're on the subject of Biff, did anybody really buy it when Marty knocked him out? Or for that matter, his dad?

The main problem with the movie is that it suffers from a horrible case of 80sitis. There were some good movies made in the 80s that have stood the test of time. Back to the future is not one of those. e.g. The Abbot and Costello routine between Marty and the guy at the diner suffers from stale outdated jokes like "I'll have a pepsi free". I'm as confused as the guy at the ice cream shop!

I think I speak for at least myself when I say that we deserve a good reboot of back to the future. Especially considering how many times I've watched it, without once realizing how much torture I was putting myself through.

It's probably for the best that no one remembers that they actually did reboot Poltergeist a few years back. No one saw it. No one should see. Except Insane. He should watch it all the time.

The trick is not minding
While upon rewatching it a year ago for a HOF, I did note the band scene hadn’t aged well for me, but other then that minor quibble, it’s still a classic.

I was one of the unfortunate souls that saw the Poltergeist remake in the theaters.
Caveat emptor 🙁

I've often thought of a Logan's Run remake - there are a lot of ethical topics to be explored in the story and the ideas that things we think are taboo might one day be acceptable (and vice versa) could be very relevant to our current social / cultural / political climate.

The original is great for what it is, but some parts seem a bit dated and it's rather a mix as far as special effects are concerned.

The more I think about it, the worse that movie seems. There's something off about all of the characters, that doesn't mesh well with the script. It's like somebody wrote it to be played straight, but Zemeckis gave each actor a huge snort of cocaine before yelling "Action!"

Then can we really ignore the cringe? The fish under the sea party where Marty is allowed to play guitar for the band starts out as a complete train wreck because Marty doesn't have any fingers. The after they muddle their way through that song, he's asked to do another one, so he... yuck! I've heard of Johnny B. Goode, but that was Johnny B Bad! His solo sucked, sliding around on the floor was just plain stupid, and then he ends it by kicking what is obviously a practice amp.

Is the power of love really a good song? No! It's sappy and stupid. are the skateboard scenes exciting? I felt embarrassed for him the entire time, except the last few seconds before Biff hits the manure truck. And while we're on the subject of Biff, did anybody really buy it when Marty knocked him out? Or for that matter, his dad?

The main problem with the movie is that it suffers from a horrible case of 80sitis. There were some good movies made in the 80s that have stood the test of time. Back to the future is not one of those. e.g. The Abbot and Costello routine between Marty and the guy at the diner suffers from stale outdated jokes like "I'll have a pepsi free". I'm as confused as the guy at the ice cream shop!

I think I speak for at least myself when I say that we deserve a good reboot of back to the future. Especially considering how many times I've watched it, without once realizing how much torture I was putting myself through.
Sounds like somebody's never felt the power of love. It's strong and it's sudden, it can be cruel sometimes, but it might just save your life.

Sounds like somebody's never felt the power of love. It's strong and it's sudden, it can be cruel sometimes, but it might just save your life.
Next you'll be saying the heart of rock and roll isn't still beating. But from what I've seen I believe them.

It's probably for the best that no one remembers that they actually did reboot Poltergeist a few years back. No one saw it. No one should see. Except Insane. He should watch it all the time.

Where is that damned thumbs down button?

Reboot the following;

Catch 22
Citizen Kane

They are all classics and we need to see some modern versions since the originals are way too old.

I think they rebooted Catch 22 & 1984 as TV series, but they need to reboot these movies.

The trick is not minding
Reboot the following;

Catch 22
Citizen Kane

They are all classics and we need to see some modern versions since the originals are way too old.

I think they rebooted Catch 22 & 1984 as TV series, but they need to reboot these movies.
1984 was already a rebooted, back in 1984. The first version had been released about 1956 I think?
But it is one of those films that can be re adapted every few decades because it simply is timeless.

So once again you don’t see any of this classic and iconic movies ever being rebooted in our lifetime ever I mean it is weird that Spielberg would touch west side story but not do anything with Jaws or ET I think Robert Zemeckis not letting anyone reboot Back to the Future as much as ions him as a director is kind of selfish he should give another director a opportunity to do another version of this classic franchise plus I think the other classic movies that are fine by other iconic movie directors would be cool to see or directors that are great like M Night Shaylaman, Martin Scorcese, Michael Bay, Christopher Nolan can you imagine Nolan doing Jaws, Close Encounters, or even a Back to the future or ET his version would be dark I think another take on the novel of Jaws would be good since the movie is different.

So once again you don’t see any of this classic and iconic movies ever being rebooted in our lifetime ever I mean it is weird that Spielberg would touch west side story but not do anything with Jaws or ET
It's not weird actually. Spielberg is rebooting someone else's work, not his own. Artist often don't like to redo their own material, so I'm not surprised Spielberg doesn't want to see his work rebooted.

I think Robert Zemeckis not letting anyone reboot Back to the Future as much as ions him as a director is kind of selfish he should give another director a opportunity to do another version of this classic franchise
I'd venture a guess that most of us MoFos don't want Back to the Future rebooted. I sure don't. Back to the Future is perfect as it is, it doesn't need a reboot. Why do you want a reboot of it?

I think another take on the novel of Jaws would be good since the movie is different.
Now I could see that, going back to the original source material...but in that case it's not a reboot of Jaws but a re-envisioning of the novel Jaws.

On a long enough timeline, everything gets rebooted.

The real question is, which reboots will get rebooted?

On a long enough timeline, everything gets rebooted.

The real question is, which reboots will get rebooted?

On a long enough time line, every reboot gets rebooted too.

Not selfish at all, they probably realize its most likely going to be a crap remake especially with the current state of hollywood. Also think they are beloved enough to just leave alone.