LIMITED SERIES & MINI-SERIES

Tools    

Re-watch of this British limited series on HBOMax. Brilliant cast & an excellent original storyline.

No clue where this new show from Denmark on HBOMax is going, but I’m along for the ride so far.
Loved this mini-series. Lead actress really excellent. Finished it yesterday.

New 4-parter on HBO based on a true story, but, strangely, playing as somewhat of a black comedy.

Rather good & the two leads are, of course, fantastic together.

I think it's such a bizzare story (bizzare in it's banality not the crime itself) that black comedy is really the only way to go and tell the story. Otherwise it'd have to be an arthouse thing with nothing happening, a crime and then nothing happening again for decades.

I think it's such a bizzare story (bizzare in it's banality not the crime itself) that black comedy is really the only way to go and tell the story. Otherwise it'd have to be an arthouse thing with nothing happening, a crime and then nothing happening again for decades.
I just watched the first ep of Landscapers, and am captivated by it. The story is strange enough, but it is the acting that is sensational, especially from David Thewlis. Olivia Colman is superb as well.

I'll watch anything that Thewlis is in. He, along with Mark Rylance and Anthony Hopkins, are my favorite Brit actors. Hopkins and also Colman were stunning in The Father (2020).

True as regards black comedy. But is it fair to make comedic the murder of a real couple? Who most likely still have some family members still alive? Seems a tad tasteless to me.

True as regards black comedy. But is it fair to make comedic the murder of a real couple? Who most likely still have some family members still alive? Seems a tad tasteless to me.
I'd argue that's not what they're doing though. That is, from what I've heard because I've not watched it yet. TMK they're not making the murder of the people comedic.

But if that's not what happens or how you see it then that's fair enough. I disagree but I understand why you'd think that. I mean, it was her parents they killed. I don't know if she had siblings or not but, if not, everyone else will probably be dead as well as...

WARNING: "True Crime Spoiler" spoilers below
The crime was only discovered because they kept claiming their benefits and when the father was/would've been 100 they wanted to actually see him and they left the country

I'd argue that's not what they're doing though. That is, from what I've heard because I've not watched it yet. TMK they're not making the murder of the people comedic.

But if that's not what happens or how you see it then that's fair enough. I disagree but I understand why you'd think that. I mean, it was her parents they killed. I don't know if she had siblings or not but, if not, everyone else will probably be dead as well as...

WARNING: "True Crime Spoiler" spoilers below
The crime was only discovered because they kept claiming their benefits and when the father was/would've been 100 they wanted to actually see him and they left the country
Let’s discuss after you’ve seen it. Got the impression you had.

Watched all four episodes of Landscapers. Although the true crime story itself was a foregone conclusion, because of those who haven't seen the entire miniseries, I won't comment on the particulars of the path the series took.

In the main I really enjoyed it. As mentioned above, the acting was superb. The first episode was a little strange, but fairly straightforward and fascinating. At the start of the second episode onward, it was pretty heavy art-house, although it never remained full on into the absurd or surreal, but rather folded in different aspects of the story and illustrated the way the principals may have seen it.

The story line, cinematography, and editing were fresh and absorbing. Advertised as a black comedy, IMO there were very few examples of comedy-- black or otherwise. The title itself was certainly a bit of gallows humor, yet there was far more fantasy in the production than there was humor. The production within a production portions were surprising yet digestible.

It seemed to pretty well cozy up to the real life story, although the financial motive for the crimes was not really emphasized. The writers and director certainly came up with an interesting approach to telling the story, and the memorable acting took it over the finish line.

⬆️ Wonder how he got to see all 4 episodes when only one has dropped on HBOMax so far. One drops every Monday evening.

It seemed to pretty well cozy up to the real life story, although the financial motive for the crimes was not really emphasized. The writers and director certainly came up with an interesting approach to telling the story, and the memorable acting took it over the finish line.
They felt that she had been cheated out of her inheritance by her mother. Which was more or less true. And I guess she wanted some of that money to finance her Gary Cooper collection among other things.

Finished it. Very strange & a good amount of effort was put into this 4-parter based on a rather slim true story. But, whatever.

Mindless reality show, but I enjoy watching people who are unlike myself.

Seems okay, but not my cuppa tea. Bailed out of the pilot.

I'm thinking mostly of @Stirchley but others may also enjoy this.

A Very British Scandal

I thought it was OK, but I really expected more... Dirt? Scandalous behaviour? Nastiness? Something. It just felt underwhelming to me, but in terms of how it's made and the acting it's first class. I don't know if it's the treatment or the story itself which I have a problem with?

I'm thinking mostly of @Stirchley but others may also enjoy this.

A Very British Scandal

I thought it was OK, but I really expected more... Dirt? Scandalous behaviour? Nastiness? Something. It just felt underwhelming to me, but in terms of how it's made and the acting it's first class. I don't know if it's the treatment or the story itself which I have a problem with?
Is this A very British sex scandle?

Not unless it has that title in the US, no.
I found it. It’s on prime here. Yes, I would like this, but I am currently overwhelmed with my streaming library. I don’t think I can add another show to it.

Watched a few of these on Hulu. “Adventurers” who put themselves in the most ridiculously dangerous situations & then jeopardize the lives of their rescuers. And so many of them (mostly men) brag at how their near-death experience has only made them want to have more “adventures”.