Do You Prefer To Share Underrated Movies?

Tools    

Hey you suggest movies to me all the time, and I'm almost always grateful for every suggestion.
Thanks You're the only person on MoFo who I routinely suggest films to watch. There's been a couple of other people, but usually if I think someone might like a film I just seen, it's you!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Thanks You're the only person on MoFo who I routinely suggest films to watch. There's been a couple of other people, but usually if I think someone might like a film I just seen, it's you!

@Citizen Rules, I have a fairly long watchlist of movies that either you've recommended to me, or I read your review and it sounded like I would like it.

@Gideon58, I have a similar watchlist of movies from your lists and reviews too.

Yep. Some underrated films are surprisingly good compared to big budget blockbusters.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
I feel horror is very unrepresented on here, so I usually review horror, as well as action and comedy movies.

I feel horror is very unrepresented on here, so I usually review horror, as well as action and comedy movies.

Us Corrie folks love horror! Glad to see another horror fan here.

I agree this applies to horror more than perhaps some other genres, but also, ‘underrated’ is not a clear-cut term. I do tend to recommend soft or low-budget sci-fi that I’m quite sure no one has seen, but it tends to be reasonably well reviewed. As for the legitimately ‘underrated’ films I could recommend, there aren’t too many, and my fancy for them probably stems from childhood nostalgia. Would be something like Deceiver (1997) with Tim Roth. My point being, I don’t think ‘underrated’ has to be synonymous with ‘unknown’, though occasionally, it is.

I would agree with the original statement. But I would also add that there's an odd enjoyment and thrill in "discovering" a good/great film that few or no people talk about. It's like uncovering a treasure, and I think that translates in how we want others to experience the same.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I would add that this is more prevalent in a movie forum because you assume most have seen "The Godfather", etc.. I also think people like introducing a crowd to a great movie they haven't seen - like discovering gold.

"Under-rated" is a subjective term, but I do often like movies that are not rated well by what I consider to be mainstream reviewers. That's especially true with horror movies, which are the bane of lots of mainstreamers. On a five-popcorn scale, generally a horror movie gets one less just because it's a horror movie. I don't get that because other genre movies (police procedurals, espionage procedurals, action movies, etc) are just as stereotypic as horror movies and watching Tom Cruise climb a wall suspended from piano wire is no more believable than zombies, etc.