10 Years Ago: Your Movie Memories of 2007?

Tools    

I was 14. I remember for some reason i went out of my way to see the Best Picture Nominees before the Oscars but some of those may have been in early 2008. Either way There Will Be Blood became one of my favourite film it still is and i didn't like No Country still don't. Also really liked Juno until i rewatched it about two years later. My top ten was probably:

01.There Will Be Blood
02.Superbad
03.Knocked Up
04.I Am Legend
05.Juno
06.The Simpsons Movie
07.Blades of Glory
08.The Bucket List
09.Halloween
10.Spider Man 3.

Don't like most of those anymore.
I remember my Mom calling me after she saw Superbad in theaters. "Don't watch it, it's too explicit!" Even though she never once restricted me from watching anything, I was watching South Park at probably age 5. I immediately watched it when it came out on DVD. She was for some reason really triggered by something in it initially.

Ah, the good old days. I started dating my wife in 2007, which meant watching far fewer movies, but I have a journal from then that shows I saw 33 in the theatre, which is high for me. Our town tried their hand at a film festival, where I saw films like Manda Bala (Send a Bullet) and Careless. I also got dragged to the cinema to see some real crap by the girlfriend and I saw 3:10 to Yuma with a friend and my brother, and when it ended I said more loudly than I intended "Are you kidding?" which quite annoyed my brother.

Anyhow at the time this would have been my favorites of the year:

There Will Be Blood
No Country for Old Men
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Chop Shop
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
Atonement
The Darjeeling Limited
The Counterfeiters

I remember my Mom calling me after she saw Superbad in theaters. "Don't watch it, it's too explicit!" Even though she never once restricted me from watching anything, I was watching South Park at probably age 5. I immediately watched it when it came out on DVD. She was for some reason really triggered by something in it initially.
Just noticed this. My brother in law got me into South Park as a kid, all my parents knew about it was that it was animated which i think was why they didn't bother finding out more thinking it was just a harmless kids show. Then one time when i was about 10 my brother in law bought me a video of it and my mum took one look at it and lost her mind because one of the episodes was called Cartman's Mom Is Still A Dirty Slut

In 2007 I started to rate films. I wasn't much of a movie fan back then, but I had found out that classic stuff could be cool thanks to Chaplin and the Marx brothers, was a fan of Jim Carrey (the poor guy has gone nuts lately but hey, I'm still kind of) and Little Miss Sunshine was the best thing since sliced bread for me. Comedy was my favorite genre and my reaction to streaming or downloads would have been a "YOU CAN DO WHAT WITH THE COMPUTER??". I was having fun with the medium, but almost two years would pass before I started to actually watch movies regularly.

Good times.

Just noticed this. My brother in law got me into South Park as a kid, all my parents knew about it was that it was animated which i think was why they didn't bother finding out more thinking it was just a harmless kids show. Then one time when i was about 10 my brother in law bought me a video of it and my mum took one look at it and lost her mind because one of the episodes was called Cartman's Mom Is Still A Dirty Slut

Oh, my parents knew the material. My Dad was a fan, he even had South Park stickers around his garage. I remember he rented Bigger, Longer, and Uncut on pay per view, or something like that, and I specifically remember my Mom being like "nope, we're not watching any more of this" halfway through, and we just kept switching channels back, and forth to see if it got less explicit. They rented the South Park racing game for the N64 for me once, and I just kept naming off every single swear word used in the game immediately after playing it, they thought it was the funniest thing in the world.

Oh, my parents knew the material. My Dad was a fan, he even had South Park stickers around his garage. I remember he rented Bigger, Longer, and Uncut on pay per view, or something like that, and I specifically remember my Mom being like "nope, we're not watching any more of this" halfway through, and we just kept switching channels back, and forth to see if it got less explicit. They rented the South Park racing game for the N64 for me once, and I just kept naming off every single swear word used in the game immediately after playing it, they thought it was the funniest thing in the world.
haha. I don't remember a South Park racing game for the 64, don't think i was aware it existed. I do remember and loved at the time the South Park snowball throwing game for the N64. Looking back on it that game was garbage but it was the South Park characters so i had to love it, if i played it now i'd probably enjoy it purely for nostalgic reasons. The first time i got it was on one of my birthdays and it went missing that day, i was devastated haha. My parents bought me a new one right away but i've always wondered what happened to it.

Edit; Actually just looked that game up: South Park Rally and the cover is definitely familiar. Don't think i ever played it though or i at least didn't own it.

haha. I don't remember a South Park racing game for the 64, don't think i was aware it existed. I do remember and loved at the time the South Park snowball throwing game for the N64. Looking back on it that game was garbage but it was the South Park characters so i had to love it, if i played it now i'd probably enjoy it purely for nostalgic reasons. The first time i got it was on one of my birthdays and it went missing that day, i was devastated haha. My parents bought me a new one right away but i've always wondered what happened to it.

Edit; Actually just looked that game up: South Park Rally and the cover is definitely familiar. Don't think i ever played it though or i at least didn't own it.
Oh yeah, none of the early South Park games are very good, Stone and Parker famously hate them. I do have a soft spot for the one you're referring to though. It's really repetitive, but it's stupid fun. The Stick of Truth is great, however.

I believe circa that years we often sneak to rent CD/DVD - right when someone smuggling a DVD player - ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) - and tv still provide sh*t without much censored - lot of "social commentaries" with my roommates xD even horror become a comedy movie lol

Don't play video games any more so i've not played The Stick of Truth, would like to at some point.
It's essentially an interactive season of South Park, they get the look down perfectly. Also, the fan service is astounding.

To keep it on topic while staying on South Park. 2007 was Season 11; still in the golden age for me (3-13). Top three from the season:

01.Guitar Queer-O (was obsessed with Guitar Hero at the time so this was amazing)
02.Imaginationland (three episodes telling the one story, there's some misses here and there but overall it's very well done)
03.With Apologies To Jesse Jackson (hilarious, love Randy)

Worst:

D-Yikes (this is still funny but Garrison episodes are hit and miss)

Off the top of my head: the year of There Will Be Blood, Juno, Zodiac, and Grindhouse. In some ways, it felt like a departure from the previous years. In a sense, the beginning of the current era. For better or worse.

To keep it on topic while staying on South Park. 2007 was Season 11; still in the golden age for me (3-13). Top three from the season:

01.Guitar Queer-O (was obsessed with Guitar Hero at the time so this was amazing)
02.Imaginationland (three episodes telling the one story, there's some misses here and there but overall it's very well done)
03.With Apologies To Jesse Jackson (hilarious, love Randy)

Worst:

D-Yikes (this is still funny but Garrison episodes are hit and miss)
Season 11 is pretty damn solid. With Apologies to Jesse Jackson is one of my favorite episodes of the whole series, I think it's some of the most sharp, unique, unapologetic commentary they've ever done on any subject, it might just be Randy's definitive episode. The only weak links I think are Lice Capades, and The List, they'd be pretty low if I ranked them all. I really like D-Yikes, but I almost always love episodes centered around Garrison.

I was 22 years old and I did not go to the movies as much as I do now. I recall going to the movies with my sister to watch Spider-Man 3 early in the morning and there were some kids laughing at inappropriate moments.

I went to see The Simpsons movie early in the morning and there was already a line. I was so exited to finally see one of my childhood TV shows on the big screen that I had to go early to see it! I saw it twice on the movie theater: Once English with Spanish subs and later with a neighbor in Spanish.

American Gangster I went to see it without even knowing the story behind it. I loved the movie, but I haven't seen it since.

Season 11 is pretty damn solid. With Apologies to Jesse Jackson is one of my favorite episodes of the whole series, I think it's some of the most sharp, unique, unapologetic commentary they've ever done on any subject, it might just be Randy's definitive episode. The only weak links I think are Lice Capades, and The List, they'd be pretty low if I ranked them all. I really like D-Yikes, but I almost always love episodes centered around Garrison.
Lice Capades is usually seen as one of the weakest episodes but i don't agree, i really love it. The absurd action movie lice story is amazing, sorry can't apologize "KELLAYYYY"!! Kenny getting blamed for the lice is hilarious too. I do agree with The List being one of the weakest though, probably has the least laughs in the season the only reason i have D-Yikes below it is that Garrison annoys me more in it. Actually WIth Apologies To Jesse Jackson is my favourite of the season too, somehow forgot about the Cartman and the dwarf subplot which while not as good as the main one elevates it. Cartman being able to beat the dwarf easily when it's built up as if he was about to learn a lesson was perfect. I'd go:

01.With Apologies To Jesse
02.Guitar Queer-O
03.Imaginationland (counting this as one of course)
04.Cartman Sucks
05.Le Petit Tourette
06.Lice Capades
07.Night of the Living Homeless
08.Fantastic Easter Special
09.The Snuke
10.More Crap
11.The List
12.D-Yikes

Unsurprisingly, my clearest movie memory of 2007 is Order of the Phoenix. The hype, the frenzy, the excitement. Even though it ended up being the weakest Harry Potter film in my book, the elation of going to the cinema for a Potter film is something I'd give a lot to relive.

No country for old men
Sunshine

I don't actually wear pants.
I remember seeing 300 in 2007 around my birthday. I also remember seeing the same bus driver getting to uni, then to the cinema, and then getting home. I hate driving, so I let other people do it.