False Writer's 57 Favorite Movies by Year (1960-2016)

→ in
Tools    

This rep is for Dog Day Afternoon...I did a list of my favorite Pacino performances and this is # 1. I'm one of the few people on the planet that thinks Pacino should have won the Oscar for this over Jack Nicholson for Cuckoo's Nest.
Same year as Cuckoo's Nest? Damn, I have never heard of this movie.

This rep is for Psycho and The Great Escape.
This rep is for Dog Day Afternoon...I did a list of my favorite Pacino performances and this is # 1. I'm one of the few people on the planet that thinks Pacino should have won the Oscar for this over Jack Nicholson for Cuckoo's Nest.
Thanks for checking out the list Gideon. Next set will be up shortly!

1984: The Terminator

Arnold is absolutely amazing as the bad ass cyborg villain in this awesome and bloody sci-fi action flick!

1985: Back to the Future

Rewatched this again recently and is still an amazing movie. It's impressive how well it holds up. I believe that even 50 years from now it will still hold up. Truly a timeless classic!

1986: Platoon

A riveting account of a US soldier making it through the Vietnam war. It's a film that effectively shows the horror of war but is also undeniably entertaining to watch.

1987: Full Metal Jacket (VCS: The Princess Bride)

Another movie about the Vietnam war, but this one focuses more on the soldiers themselves than the actual war. '87 is the year where the Very Close Second is extremely close. With FMJ being a top 10 favorite while Princess Bride is a top 20 favorite for me. Both movies are absolutely phenomenal!

You should definitely check them out! I like FMJ a bit better but if you're new to Vietnam films Platoon might be a better one to start with.

You should definitely check them out! I like FMJ a bit better but if you're new to Vietnam films Platoon might be a better one to start with.
Maybe this helps, I tend to drift away from "military bureaucracy". I don't like seeing drama oriented around the beat-you-over-the-head authority stereotypes, I prefer action, tactics, or personal character development.

1988: My Neighbor Totoro

1989: The Killer (VCS: Glory)

1990: Goodfellas

1991: Terminator 2: Judgement Day

I got
feelings towards Goodfellas and Totoro, and I can't remember anything about The Killer save it's final shootout (and that's only because you included it in that top ten list). I like Terminator 2.

Not a fan of Totoro. i seem to like The Terminator films less each time i watch them but they are still fun. Goodfellas would be my 1990 pick as well, it was my favourite film at one point. Haven't seen The Killer.

1992: Reservoir Dogs (VCS: Hard Boiled)

1993: Nightmare Before Christmas (VCS: Jurassic Park)

1994: Pulp Fiction (VCS: The Lion King and Shawshank Redemption)

1995: Seven (VCS: Braveheart)

1996: Fargo (VCS: Primal Fear)

1997: Princess Mononoke (VCS: LA Confidential)

1998: American History X (VCS: Saving Private Ryan)

1999: Fight Club (VVCS: Office Space)

*The only instance where 2 of my top 10s are in the same year*

Damn, you should change your name from False Writer to Fast Writer! I feel like I'm gone from this thread in 2 seconds and BAM! you've posted a huge bunch of films.

Many good picks here, I will comment further when I find the same.

2000: The Patriot

2001: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (VCS: Donnie Darko)

2002: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (VCS: Spirited Away)

2003: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (VCS: The Last Samurai)

2004: Dawn of the Dead

2005: Jarhead

2006: Silent Hill (VCS: Pan's Labyrinth)

2007: Hot Fuzz (VCS: No Country for Old Men)

2008: Meet the Spartans

2009: District 9

2010: The Town

2011: The Raid: Redemption (VCS: Drive)

2012: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (VCS: Wreck-It Ralph)

Okay, what just happened??

The Hobbit? Well, fine then...

MEET THE FREAKING SPARTANS? Excuse me? what? How? Why? When? Where in the hell!!?? Is this some kind of trick to get people posting in here or what?

2013: Prisoners (VCS: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug)

2014: Birdman or: The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance (VCS: The Raid 2)

2015: The Revenant (VCS: Mad Max: Fury Road)

(first half of) 2016:

Zootopia (VCS: The Jungle Book)

Okay, what just happened??

The Hobbit? Well, fine then...

MEET THE FREAKING SPARTANS? Excuse me? what? How? Why? When? Where in the hell!!?? Is this some kind of trick to get people posting in here or what?
For me 2008 was kind of a down year. There wasn't many movies I really liked from then. I knew it might've shocked some readers but I actually do think Meet the Spartans is a really funny movie.