Do you consider GoodFellas one of the GOATs?

Tools    

Seriously? People go on about Goodfellas all the time. Personally, I don't like it, not a goat for me.
Yeah I know that it is praised as a great film, but we're talking about being praised as one of the greatest of all time. A shame you didn't like it, do you not like crime/gangster films in general?

Taxi Driver > The Godfather > Goodfellas
That would be very tough for me to do, since all three of them are
for me and I do believe that they are upper-echelon films.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I think it doesn't come up very often because many people either (as evident here) think Scorsese has made better movies (Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, King of Comedy) or that there are better movies about similar subject matter, mainly The Godfather used as an example. Goodfellas might look worse in comparison to these for some people. When you make a top 10 list, you will probably think twice about a movie directly comparable to another on your list that you think is worse. As for me, I think it's far from being one of the greatest

A flawless film for me, and also has a rewatch value.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
A flawless film for me, and also has a rewatch value.
It is literally perfect. Perhaps highest rewatch value EVER! How often do we find ourselves watching it on TV when it's on, nearly every time.

The Godfather is the Mafia fairytale, Goodfellas is the Mafia reality. Both equally good imo, and both top 10 all time movies.

I really do think it is a flawless film on the level of The Godfather. De Niro, Liotta, and Pesci give some of the best performances ever, and I really do think it's Scorsese's best film (narrowly beating Taxi Driver, which I also think can be in the running)

I never really see it brought up in "greatest of all time" discussions though. It's number 1 on the 90's countdown, which I definitely agree with. I'm just wondering if anyone else thinks that it's really one of the best, like I do.
Personally, I think Goodfellas is better than The Godfather and is definitely Scorsese's masterpiece that was robbed of the Oscar for Best Picture of 1990.

Although I do not believe it comes anywhere near The Godfather or its sequel, Goodfellas is an incredible film. The plot moves beautifully through decades of stories driven by strong characters. I have heard/read the criticism that it is lacking a strong overall story but I think that was the idea. It wanted to give us a totally different impression of the characters each time we landed in their timeline. This is far more powerfully felt with the brilliant use of its soundtrack.

A system of cells interlinked
Goodfellas is one of my favorite Scorsese films and he is one of my favorite directors, so I must say yes!

The film GoodFellas is really great but I more like its story than how actors play

By the way, after seeing GoodFellas I was really pleased to find out that it was Ray Liotta who gave his voice to Tommy Vercetti from GTA Vice City

Goodfellas is a masterpiece. Simple as that.
There are so many I wanted to quote, but my dad has f* up the laptop as usual, so I'm quoting you so let's count this as the 888th f*.

Goodfellas is an awesome, awesome, AWESOME film. It's quite possibly the single most emotionaly powerful film ever made. Harry Potter the last, The Impossible, The killing fields, The elephant man are also, but in a different way. It's been my no5 ever since i saw it. I'm exceptionaly passionate about it. What can I say? The story and the characters are utterly realistic, the humor is out of this world, the acting is stratospheric (by all of them!), but the KEY is Martin's GENIUS for incorporating songs into a film, and this is in a leA STRATOSPHERIC LEAGUE OF ITS OWN! Another key is narration. My next-to-favorite scene is Layla, when Ray talks and the main theme goes. This is probably the only film that starts for me when it finishes. When everyone else considers it over, that's when it starts for me. The end. "Get to live the rest of my life like a schnuck." And then he bangs the door. And then...tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumREGRETS I HAD A FEW...it says how they all finished and the credits go, playing Eric for one last time. That's so f* emotional, I cried like a baby when I 1st saw it.

I think Goodfellas is definitely a GOAT...it is absolutely Scorsese's masterpiece, slightly edging out Taxi Driver and was DEFINITELY robbed of the Best Picture Oscar of 1990.

Yes. I think Goodfellas was robbed at the 1991 Oscars. Goodfellas had the originality, the energy, the direction, and the editing that a great film needs. The Godfather Part III was a travesty. How can a picture that won two Razzies for the performance in a major role win best picture over Goodfellas. They must have picked their winner before they watched either film.

I like it a little better than the Godfather.
Godfather is great, but it's hardcore crime drama.
Goodfellas has a lighter, "funner" feel to it (despite all the murder & mayhem). It's faster paced and the narration by Henry gives it a completely different feel. Both films were excellent in capturing the eras depicted. Goodfellas really captured the feeling of the eras changing & evolving.
The Godfather is rich in pathos, while Goodfellas is not.

Now some could argue that the Godfather is more realistic, what with it being so serious... and yet, Goodfellas is the one based directly on a true story and real people.

Goodfellas did what I didnt think could ever be done, and in my mind unseated The Godfather as the greatest mob movie ever made. Goodfellas is definitely one of the Greatest Of Our Time.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Do you guys ever find that when a very good movie is so overplayed and overhyped on TV, you end up feeling like it has become overrated? That is my experience with Goodfellas. I feel like I've seen it 100 times and I do not even own it. Whenever I crave a great mob movie, I never think of Goodfellas.

Do you guys ever find that when a very good movie is so overplayed and overhyped on TV, you end up feeling like it has become overrated? That is my experience with Goodfellas. I feel like I've seen it 100 times and I do not even own it. Whenever I crave a great mob movie, I never think of Goodfellas.
It probably has been lauded too much, but I read the book too and its one of those rare occurences where the film was better than the movie. JAWS was like that too. Sorry we ruined it for ya'