Avengers: Age of Ultron Crazy 1st Day #'s

Tools    

I have to return some videotapes.
That I really wanted to write about the first $100 million single-day this morning doesn’t negate the fact that Avengers: Age of Ultron made an obscene amount of money yesterday in the form of a $84.46m Friday gross. That it only barely bested the $80m opening day of The Avengers and didn’t quite top the $91m opening day of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part II only means that The Boy Who Lived gets to keep his single-day record for a little while longer (I’m not sure that $43.5m midnight/Thursday record is ever going down).
http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmen...84-46m-friday/

Which surprises no one.

I wonder if it will surpass Titanic or even Avatar. I just don't know if it can top $2 billion. It's almost a quarter of a way there and I'd say it easily tops $500 million by the end of the weekend, but I just don't know. It would be nice to see at least one movie in between James Camerons juggernauts.

This one will be front loaded. I don't think it will have the legs the original had. I expect it to bow somewhere in the same area, maybe a bit shorter in the long run.

Cameron is still king of the world.

So, this is interesting.

As of today, the four day total for Avengers 2 is $204 million while the first Avengers was at $226 million (domestic). There were some people in the Avengers thread in Upcoming Films forums saying Avengers 2 was the most hyped film of the year and it was going to blow away all kinds of records (I still think Star Wars is more hyped and will smash Avengers box office).

I'm not saying Avengers: AOU is doing poorly, but it's not on par to match the first.

So, this is interesting.

As of today, the four day total for Avengers 2 is $204 million while the first Avengers was at $226 million (domestic). There were some people in the Avengers thread in Upcoming Films forums saying Avengers 2 was the most hyped film of the year and it was going to blow away all kinds of records (I still think Star Wars is more hyped and will smash Avengers box office).

I'm not saying Avengers: AOU is doing poorly, but it's not on par to match the first.
Within 2012's The Avengers' 5 months of release it made a worldwide gross of $1,518,594,910. Avengers: Age of Ultron's worldwide gross in 2 weeks is $677,132,476. If Avengers: Age of Ultron does well enough within it's release, which I don't see why it shouldn't, the sequel will most likely surpass the first.

I'm not sure if the first film opened early in foreign markets like this one did, though. And box office grosses are usually front-loaded, so the fact that it's got 4 1/2 months left to meet that mark doesn't tell us a lot, since the last month or so the money'll just be trickling in. And sequels are usually even more front-loaded that the originals, so we'll see.

Also worth noting that even the same gross would actually be a regression, due to inflation.

Within 2012's The Avengers' 5 months of release it made a worldwide gross of $1,518,594,910. Avengers: Age of Ultron's worldwide gross in 2 weeks is $677,132,476. If Avengers: Age of Ultron does well enough within it's release, which I don't see why it shouldn't, the sequel will most likely surpass the first.
Two things:

It still has to make almost $1 billion...

And I was referring only to the domestic gross, which is what Box Office Mojo counts in these face off's that they do. That's where I got the info.

Two things:

It still has to make almost $1 billion...

And I was referring only to the domestic gross, which is what Box Office Mojo counts in these face off's that they do. That's where I got the info.
I'm sure it will make a billion really soon. And I can see you were referring only to the domestic gross. I was just bringing out an observation about the worldwide grosses, from Box Office Mojo. Where I got my info from.

I'm sure it will make a billion really soon. And I can see you were referring only to the domestic gross. I was just bringing out an observation about the worldwide grosses, from Box Office Mojo. Where I got my info from.
That's where we differ. Obviously it will make a lot of money, but, given that it has a slower pace than the first, I'm still doubting that it will surpass Avengers.

It definitely won't surpass Star Wars.

If The Force Awakens makes more than The Avengers, it will be the first Star Wars film to beat the 500 million dollar mark in total gross.
Not when you adjust for inflation.

Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and Phantom Menace sold enough tickets to top $500 million today. It extremely unlikely that Avengers 2 will beat Ep 7 and, IMO, unlikely that it will top Avengers 1. I assumed all along that Star Wars would beat Avengers 2, but I'm surprised at the difference between the two Avengers films.

If The Force Awakens makes more than The Avengers, it will be the first Star Wars film to beat the 500 million dollar mark in total gross.
Not to mention there aren't nearly as many young Star Wars fans as there were back in the day.

Plus a lot of the die-hard adult Star Wars fans didn't like the prequels, so I bet a lot of them won't be too eager to see any more sequels.

I'm very highly doubting that Avengers 2 tops the first in either world wide or domestic. To be honest, a month ago I would not have said that.

It almost has to double its domestic take to make it and it's still $500 million off the first in global box office. I doubt either will happen, especially since Pitch Perfect 2 and Mad Max are out this week and we've got Tomorrowland and San Andreas coming out in the next two weekends.

I'm feeling more confident in my prediction that Star Wars would be the box office winner of the year, though I'm surprised by Furious 7's massive numbers.

Well, it's settled now: Age of Ultron is winding down its gross and it's still nearly $200 million short of the first film. Without even taking inflation into account.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Not when you adjust for inflation.

Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and Phantom Menace sold enough tickets to top $500 million today. It extremely unlikely that Avengers 2 will beat Ep 7 and, IMO, unlikely that it will top Avengers 1. I assumed all along that Star Wars would beat Avengers 2, but I'm surprised at the difference between the two Avengers films.
The first Star Wars made $775 million in 1977 which adjusted for inflation puts it up there with Titanic and Avatar, probably around $2 billion+ in todays money without getting an inflation calculator on the case.

All from a budget of $11 million( Empire having $20-30 million budget and taking $550 million), whereas today's successful blockbusters may pull in $1 billion but they have a budget of $200-250 million.

Well, it's settled now: Age of Ultron is winding down its gross and it's still nearly $200 million short of the first film. Without even taking inflation into account.
I really think it's a sign of people's waning interest in non stop comic book movies. Avengers 2 hasn't been helped by some poor movies inbetween, Iron Man 3, Captain America 2 and Thor 2 all being fairly underwhelming.

The first Star Wars made $775 million in 1977 which adjusted for inflation puts it up there with Titanic and Avatar, probably around $2 billion+ in todays money without getting an inflation calculator on the case.

All from a budget of $11 million( Empire having $20-30 million budget and taking $550 million), whereas today's successful blockbusters may pull in $1 billion but they have a budget of $200-250 million.
In fact I did the calculation and it's basically $3 billion for Star Wars: A New Hope.

Should add that a lot of those Star Wars taking were from the re release in the 90's so you have to factor that in.