Disney plans at least 5 more Star Wars movies

Tools    

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/n...films-20130206

This is interesting - apparently they're not stopping with just the 3 trilogy films; they plan on making at least 2 spin-off films based on characters' backstories.

I get that Star Wars isn't as popular today as it was back in the day, but it's still a popular franchise with a lot of "expanded universe" media (ex. books, video games etc) geared toward the fans, so I think if pulled off right this could be good for Star Wars fans..

They won't be using the expanded universe though. It's been officially thrown out by Disney.

They're releasing 20 new books though that are set between Jedi and Awakens, to fill in the years, much like the animated series was set between Sith and Hope.

I think based on the new trilogy's success, they'll be making eps 10, 11 and 12 as well.

A system of cells interlinked
Rumor was that Orphan Black's Tatiana Maslany (one of my favorite actresses working today) was up for the lead in one of the spin-off flicks, but now rumors are swirling that it may be someone else. If true, that's a shame, because Maslany has ridiculous skills.

Haven't even watched the last one yet. To me all the new episodes just don't have the same vybe like back in the day.

Isn't this old news though?
It's wicked old news. The article in the first post is from 2013...

Forgetting the EU (cause it's glorified fan fiction anyway), the property is perfect for spin-offs and sequels. Lucas inadvertently created an entire universe of potential, despite trying his hardest to poop all over said potential. I'm all in.

For those with tons of free time, listen to the Cracked podcast about their ideas for the new Star Wars films. Some of their ideas are actually really cool.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Well they didn't pay $4 Billion just to make one trilogy now did they. Hopefully the best possible result is that we get a great Star Wars movie every 3 years or so, and maybe some great spin offs too.

Well they didn't pay $4 Billion just to make one trilogy now did they. Hopefully the best possible result is that we get a great Star Wars movie every 3 years or so, and maybe some great spin offs too.
The plan is to release a Star Wars film every year...

The plan is to release a Star Wars film every year...
Which is a bad decision, IMO - if they're planning to 'just release a bunch of films' without even seeing how the new films did, then that shows they're doing this with cash in mind more than anything else - probably hoping to catch onto similar success as the Marvel films.

Which is a bad decision, IMO - if they're planning to 'just release a bunch of films' without even seeing how the new films did, then that shows they're doing this with cash in mind more than anything else - probably hoping to catch onto similar success as the Marvel films.
First off, the film business is still a business. Of course they're going to maximize the release schedule.

Second, you will pay to see every one of them in the theater along with millions of other people regardless of quality. What do they care if some of the films aren't good?

Third, they have different teams working on different films. It's not like J.J. Abrams is going to make Episode 7 this year and a Boba Fett movie next year. They can release one a year under different creators and still make solid films. In fact, you're the one who cited Marvel and they are still putting out good stuff. Or did we already forget Guardians of the Galaxy?

First off, the film business is still a business. Of course they're going to maximize the release schedule.

Second, you will pay to see every one of them in the theater along with millions of other people regardless of quality. What do they care if some of the films aren't good?
I won't be seeing any of the others if the first one isn't any good, that's for sure. Speak for yourself.

Third, they have different teams working on different films. It's not like J.J. Abrams is going to make Episode 7 this year and a Boba Fett movie next year. They can release one a year under different creators and still make solid films. In fact, you're the one who cited Marvel and they are still putting out good stuff. Or did we already forget Guardians of the Galaxy?
The Marvel films aren't "bad" but they're generic and predictable cash grabs which follow predictable and "safe" plot cliches - definitely not on the same level as the original Star Wars films which tried to do something different.

Wait. It this information verified? 5 new Star Wars movies?

Wait. It this information verified? 5 new Star Wars movies?
There's an IMDB page for the first spin-off film...so yes, it's verified.

90sAce, did you watch Episode 3 in theaters?

There's an IMDB page for the first spin-off film...so yes, it's verified.

90sAce, did you watch Episode 3 in theaters?
I didn't think the Phantom Menace was as bad as a lot of die hard fans apparently do (even though it is my least favorite Star Wars film) - Episode 3 I enjoyed pretty well.

I never expected the prequels to be the same as the original trilogy anyway (which is the main gripe that a lot of fans have against them); I always thought of them as more of a 'backstory' to Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker which I thought did a pretty good job of it.

I don't like the idea of spin-off movies. I think it sounds gimmicky and will cheapen the Star Wars brand. I was also thinking that a May 2017 release date for Episode VIII is too soon after the release of VII. The other films had more time between each release.