What are the best films from the first half of the decade?

Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
Seven Psychopaths was very good, If it wasn't for The Way Way Back that might have been my favorite Sam Rockwell performance
Have you seen Moon?

What about The Green Mile? I haven't seen it in a while, but when I was younger I thought his character in that movie was hilarious.

Have you seen Moon?

What about The Green Mile? I haven't seen it in a while, but when I was younger I thought his character in that movie was hilarious.
Moon wasn't a bad film at all, but i'm a bigger fan of Rockwell's comedic roles more. I've seen Green Mile a couple times but it was a while ago. I may have to watch it again, i may not have known who he was when i first saw it so i forgot he was in it.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

I had a few other movies...until I realized they were prior to 2010.

Just saw Birdman today. Very good! Up high on my list along with Whiplash.

Saw Fury also, not quite as good as the other 2 I previously mentioned but a good watch. 3.5/5

Wolf of Wall Street
Harry Potter last movie
King's Speech
Looper
Rush
Kick-Ass
Social Network
Behind The Candelabra (soooo unappreciated)
Dark Knight Rises
Kill The Irishman
Disconnect
The Master
Shame

My top 10 of 2010
1. Last Airbender
2. Sorcerer's Apprentice
3. Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows pt 1
4. A Nightmare On Elm Street
5. Wolfman
6. Karate Kid
7. True Grit
8. Alice In Wonderland
9. Let Me In
10. Tron Legacy

my top 10 of 2011
1. Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Pt 2.
2. Pirates Of The Caribbean On Stranger Tides
3. Green Lantern
4. Priest
5. Straw Dogs
6. Fright Night
7. Real Steel
8. Red Riding Hood
9. Season Of The Witch
10. Transformers Dark Of The Moon

my top 10 of 2012
1. Dark Shadows
2. Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter
3. Ghost Rider Spirit Of Vengeance
4. Dark Knight Rises
5. Red Dawn
6. Men In Black 3
7. Snow White & The Huntsman
8. Amazing Spiderman
9. Underworld Awakening
10. Hobbit An Unexpected Journey

My top 10 of 2013
1. Texas Chainsaw 3D
2. Oz The Great & Powerful
3. Iron Man 3
4. Jack The Giant Slayer
5. Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters
6. World War Z
7. Man Of Steel
8. Insidious Chapter 2
9. Carrie
10. Lone Ranger

my top 10 of 2014
1. 300 rise of an empire
2. Noah
3. Amazing Spiderman 2
4. Godzilla
5. Maleficent
6. Guardians Of The Galaxy
7. Exodus gods & kings
8. Dracula Untold
9. Interstellar
10. No Good Deed

1. Taken 3
i admit this is a biased because i saw all of these films in theatres...well all of them except Lone Ranger. Alice In Wonderland. Karate Kid and Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters

Much that once was is lost
Not sure to remember all the movies I liked, but I supposed it would be something like this:
Inception
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
The Artist
Django Unchained
Zero Dark Thirty
Guardians of The Galaxy
Birdman
Wild Tales (Relatos Salvajes)

And my biggest disappointment: The Hobbit. Such a betrayal to the book.

That Wild Tales is left for me! I have to watch it before the Oscars. But i know its gonna go to Leviathan!

Make a better place
here are mine, not in a particular order

Blood Ties

Labor Day

Boyhood

The Way Way Back

Nightcrawler

Cold in July

Prisoners

World War Z

Django Unchained

a Dame to Kill For

The Paperboy

The Experiment

American Sniper

Killer Joe

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Midnight in Paris

The Devil's Double

The Ledge

Gangster Squad

Recently saw American Sniper and Nightcrawler. AS was very good but Nightcrawler I really enjoyed, I would probably put it in my top 10.

Just got done seeing The Tree of Life and wow—that film was absolutely mesmerizing. Terrence Malick was already one of my favorite directors seeing his first four films but now seeing ToL solidified his place a lot more. I only watched it once and didn't fully understand everything but I think it's absolutely one of the best of 2010-2015.

Gooble gobble, one of us!
Yeah I think Tree of Life and Shame is two of the greatest films of this decade. Birdman and Whiplash I have seen both 3 times already might up there as well.

Yeah I think Tree of Life and Shame is two of the greatest films of this decade. Birdman and Whiplash I have seen both 3 times already might up there as well.
I haven't seen Shame yet but agreed on the other 3!

I found it to be extremely unfunny (Except for the one scene where Gustav runs away from the police when they first come to the hotel wanting to arrest him, which was spoiled in the trailer.), hated the characters, pacing and the plot was just so jumpy. I didn't find it pleasant to sit through at all.

I agree with all of this. It was one of those films where they used up all the trailer gags in the first half hour.

The problem with TGBH is it's style but no substance.The initial premise is funny but Anderson can't stick to a plot so he throws up these 'adventures' (i.e. throwing various things at a wall and seeing what sticks) that add up to nothing. Then at the end he remembers that there's a war and so tries to throw in some political musings and nostalgia about an era gone with the wind, but this theme does not run throughout the film- it's simply tacked on at the end so people wouldn't dismiss it as a trifle.

I found the screenplay and dialogue very weak, neither funny nor clever although Anderson seemed to think they were both. He hired a lot of good actors and then wasted them; some of them are in it so briefly that you'd forget they were in it. Jude Law was wasted by the frame story, which seemed like a good idea but as the story is nothing to do with his character or very much to do with F Murray Abraham's character, they are redundant (and why on earth has Zero changed race as he got older?!).

Obviously aesthetically it is accomplished and Ralph Fiennes is wonderful in it but were it not for these factors, no one would pay it any attention apart from cult fans.

From what I have seen so far, I would say (in no particular order):

Django Unchained
Interstellar
Birdman
Lone Survivor
Gone Girl
Rush
Inception
Gravity
The Wolf of Wall Street
Drive
Life of Pi
Prisoners
End of Watch

The Wolf of Wall Street

Movies I've seen so far this decade that I can remember. Still have some to catch up on from last last year (Birdman, Whiplash)

Cedar Rapids
Win Win
Wolf Of Wall Street
Inception
Guardians of the Galaxy
Django Unchained
Social Network
Girl With A Dragon Tattoo
Gone Girl - Good run for Fincher I'd suppose.
The King's Speech
Dallas Buyer's Club
Inside Lleywen Davis
True Grit

And hands down my favorite of the decade so far Silver Linings Playbook. That movie is right in my wheelhouse. Great performances, wonderful writing, accessible and genuine. Had an palpable energy to the film you could feel. Felt like the movie moved effortlessly. Many memorable moments. Think it also had a great lesson, throw yourself into something, happiness finds you when you are to busy to look.

Pprobably tons more I can think of off the top of my head.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Movies I've seen so far this decade that I can remember. Still have some to catch up on from last last year (Birdman, Whiplash)

Cedar Rapids
Win Win
Wolf Of Wall Street
Inception
Guardians of the Galaxy
Django Unchained
Social Network
Girl With A Dragon Tattoo
Gone Girl - Good run for Fincher I'd suppose.
The King's Speech
Dallas Buyer's Club
Inside Lleywen Davis
True Grit

And hands down my favorite of the decade so far Silver Linings Playbook. That movie is right in my wheelhouse. Great performances, wonderful writing, accessible and genuine. Had an palpable energy to the film you could feel. Felt like the movie moved effortlessly. Many memorable moments. Think it also had a great lesson, throw yourself into something, happiness finds you when you are to busy to look.

Pprobably tons more I can think of off the top of my head.
Saw True Grit in the theater and it was surprisingly good, one of the few remakes that was actually worth doing.

Definitely check out Birdman and Whiplash as soon as you can. I'm sure that at least one of them will make your list.

1. Snowpiercer (2013)
  2. Gone Girl (2014)
  3. The Town (2010)
  4. Prisoners (2013)
  5. Avengers Assemble (2012)
  6. Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol (2011)
  7. Thor (2011)
  8. Looper (2012)
  9. Young Adult (2011)
  10. The Cabin In The Woods (2012)