What do you think of people who pirate film/tv shows?

Tools    

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules
I completely disagree with your premise that it's OK for the poor to break the rules but the rest of us can't.

If as you say viewing movies on the net is illegal piracy, then the same rules need to apply equally to the poor and the middle class.

Modine your post is unclear. Are you saying the poor have a right to pirate movies but the rest of us don't? By that standard the poor are entitled to dine at expensive restaurants and then slip out the back door without paying.

I'm saying all laws have to be applied equally to everyone or not applied at all. Either watching a movie on the internet is wrong or it's OK. But it can't be OK for some and not OK for others.

BTW I disagree that viewing a movie on the internet from an established web site is piracy in the first place.
Yeah sorry. I was agreeing with your post and I think anyone who justifies stealing by claiming poverty needs to have their head examined. There are other justifications for pirating that I disagree with although I really hadn't considered yours. Watching streaming from an established site is okay I guess, but we need to settle on a definition of piracy to really have an informed discussion here.

My line of thinking is that they wouldn't have lost a sale anyway.
I can see how that might be strange, but the harm from piracy comes when it's someone that wants to see it and would have otherwise paid to see it.

Basically what I'm saying is.. if It were my movie that you pirated, I would go after you if you had money. If you didn't have money and were on food stamps, I would not make you serve jail time. I'd let that one pass. But if you had money.. yeah you'd either be in jail or paying me in a court of law.

Is that so wrong? That I wouldn't punish a dirt poor guy that couldn't afford my movie and saw it anyway
I don't think watching movies online makes you a serial killer although your justifications have enough holes to start a donut factory. I sometimes watch movies online and don't pay for them so relax, I'm not going to tell on you.

Pirating has led work that would have otherwise died off in obscurity to be known and respected by people around the world, music, films, or otherwise. Especially in a world where the art demanded is pathetic overall, it's really expensive to "import" what you want, so there's no reason you shouldn't be able to test things out before spending money on it.
The way things are, copyright laws are apparently obsolete. They are anachronistic laws that cannot be enforced today.

Thanks Modine for explaining

And on a different tangent. I've heard it said that many of the DVD boxed TV show sets at major retailers are boot legged Chinese copies. I have NO idea if that's true or not? But it gets mentioned all the time on boards.

BTW for clarity, since some people seem to be confused on my stance, I am not talking about what I think the laws should be. I am talking about my own personal stance on piracy and how I judge others. The topic of the thread. I personally would not look down on someone poor pirating, but I would look down on someone rich pirating.

I think anyone who justifies stealing by claiming poverty needs to have their head examined. .
Wow.

I suppose you think Aladdin deserved to have his hand chopped off in the beginning of that movie, since he was starving and stole a loaf of bread to eat. I suppose also you would let your children starve if you couldn't afford to feed them. After all, poverty is no excuse to steal

BTW for clarity, since some people seem to be confused on my stance, I am not talking about what I think the laws should be. I am talking about my own personal stance on piracy and how I judge others. The topic of the thread. I personally would not look down on someone poor pirating, but I would look down on someone rich pirating.

Wow.

I suppose you think Aladdin deserved to have his hand chopped off in the beginning of that movie, since he was starving and stole a loaf of bread to eat. I suppose also you would let your children starve if you couldn't afford to feed them. After all, poverty is no excuse to steal
I am pretty sure that his / her comment was made in the context of the piracy issue and whether it was okay to pirate movies because you are poor.

After all there is a huge difference between stealing to eat and pirating movies.

There are more fundamental differences. When you pirate something -I am talking about downloading/streaming now- you are not stealing it. You are consuming a copy. A fake. The originals still exist and they still produce benefit. This is essentially why I can't take seriously the over-the-top comparisons AKA "would you steal a car????". What am I stealing? Property rights? No. Concepts? No. They exist, they belong to the author, I am just consuming a copy that the author didn't allow.

I get stuff from "illegal" (with the amount of legal vacuums in this matter I feel the need to put this in quotations) sources. And I do it because I can, because my activity is not penalized, and because I get a clear benefit. I am not only talking about money here, but availabilty in any sense of the word. Why should I wait for decades to have the whole Kaurismaki work edited in Spain, or rely on physical editions from other countries that I will get days or weeks later, or wait till the occasional streaming site (I envy you guys and your Netflix) decides that the author is relevant enough to focus on him; when I can just type his name in Google and download his whole filmography in one day. The industry has to compete with that. I can be blamed for moral reasons but if there's something I can't be blamed for is picking the easiest way. Because that is what clients have always done with the products they consume.

I like your dolls.
Once I buy a pirated "PIRATES OF CARIBBEAN ON STRANGER TIDES" and all i got was indescribable.

PS- BURN THEM

I have never in my life bought a pirated movie. And I won't, if I want the movie I'll get it in the best possible quality.

And Yoda you had to delete comments because it turned into an argument when in reality it was a simple question. The question of what they think about people who do that, not who does or who doesn't, not if it's right or wrong.

Is it wrong? Hell yeah. Many movies have been doomed of a second part because of both no one going to see them and no one buying them.

Now the other question, do we buy pirated movies? Most of us not. Do we stream them? Most of us, yes.

Be in Spain and tell me if it's worth traveling 1 and a half hour to the first big city just to find out they don't have the film because a) it's too old and not mainstream, b) simply because it's not known, or c) Simply because it's in a "weird" language.

Is my excuse based by facts that I use for streaming. Not saying it's okay at all, not streaming and sure as hell not selling.

Pirating movies is the reasons sequels aren't made? I think I've just been convinced to pirate movies. I have no interest in most of the stuff that's produced, but if I download it there won't be any sequels?

BRING ON THE PIRATES!!!!!

This is essentially why I can't take seriously the over-the-top comparisons AKA "would you steal a car????".
It was a joke.

Watch this ad.

I dont support selling pirated movies, but please understand the movie and music industry arent losing a penny on it because they just hiked their prices accordingly. All businesses do that whenever theres a drainage of profits occuring. Just like the tobacco industry didnt lose a penny due to govt penalties cause they just raised their prices to cover it. In the entertainments fields case they didnt do anything wrong, but believe it that they arent going poor over it either.

I dont support selling pirated movies, but please understand the movie and music industry arent losing a penny on it because they just hiked their prices accordingly..

You think the music industry hasn't lost a penny??

Do you have a single number to back this up, because honestly I really feel like you're talking out of your ass here.

According to you the prices are hiked, but in reality the price of music is cheaper than it has ever been

Do you have a single number to back this up, because honestly I really feel like you're talking out of your ass here.

According to you the prices are hiked, but in reality the price of music is cheaper than it has ever been
The industry has clearly lost money, but the problem is that, as someone said earlier, the suits will be the last ones to lose out on money. However. Who gives a **** about the music industry anymore? Bands (smart ones at least) are finding ways to sell their products directly without a middleman. I always support bands that have earned my support. Music is just faaaaaar simpler to access in terms of shipping around the world and whatnot, you can't just make a film available in every country (well, I'm sure you could but it's probably illegal or something because of those stupid region codings)

The problem is the movie industry has no way of tracking losses due to piracy. They can say they have evidence to support it, but they can't say it was exclusively due to piracy. For example, do you know what else has taken off in the age of piracy? Streaming. Netflix makes up something crazy like 1/3 of all internet traffic in the US at peak times. How can the industry put a number loss to piracy when things like streaming have taken off? How many theater goers have they lost over the last 15 years that don't pirate films but just find it easier to stay at home and get it on Amazon Prime or Netflix or even out of a Redbox?

I understand that the film industry has lost revenue to piracy, but I'd say the home theater experience combined with easier access to content is the real thing driving down box office and ticket sales no matter how much the film industry wants to point the finger at pirates.

The music industry on the other hand, they totally lost that fight and Napster won in the long run...kinda.

Home office is a big part of it I'm sure. Personally I don't go to the movie theatre anymore.
The last film I saw in theaters was the avengers, and even then it was a rare occasion because all of my friends kept talking about it. (What a let down, lol)

Also another part of it is that even if you get on netflix, you hardly get any money for that.
I've heard for most new releases they only buy about 20 copies nationwide of the DVD. Then they put everyone on "long wait" until one of those 20 copies becomes available.

Almost every movie I watch is through the netflix DVD program.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Download a car... haha

I download, and don't mind those who share, whether its Peer-to-Peer, or BitTorrents. The way I see it, the studios aren't starving, and most of us probably wouldn't pay for it, but since we saw a film for free, we might be tempted to see and pay for other stuff, future stuff, etc..

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Nah, I don't buy that premise.

All over America, stores and businesses have cut employes. Making their remaining employees work all the harder. In retail stores this makes for longer check out lines, inconveniencing customers.

Younger people might not notice this change. But there was a time, decades ago, when stores highered enough people to properly handle the customers needs.

The news article link, is just a line of bull from overpaid CEO's blaming their desire to up profits by cutting their work force.

Go to any supermarket, out of a place I go to with 40 lines, 38 of them are automated... I still wait in the line to see a human being, and even with the self-automated fascist toy, you always need someone because computers aren't human, and problems always arise.

...Also another part of it is that even if you get on netflix, you hardly get any money for that.
I've heard for most new releases they only buy about 20 copies nationwide of the DVD. Then they put everyone on "long wait" until one of those 20 copies becomes available.

Almost every movie I watch is through the netflix DVD program.
I'm pretty sure Netflix pays a hefty licensees fee to the movie production companies. Otherwise it would be illegal for them to rent them.