What's most important in your life?

Tools    

Friends, Family, Health, Studying every subject I can get my hands on, (being a pathophile in that sense), Film especially. Creating things. Filming things. And theory. Lots of theory.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Are you telling me that you are satisfied with the bare minimum it would take for you to survive? You have a certain degree of luxury in your life at this point. I'm sure of it. Take going to a restaurant every now and then. Take a car instead if public transport. A holiday once in a while. Take even more basic things like eating steak instead of veggies and potatoes and eggs all the time. Jesus, take watching movies at the theater or even having a TV.

Just imagine if all of a sudden all of those 'superfluous' things I just mentioned (and there are many MANY more you don't strictly need for survival) would no longer be a part of your life. Your standard of life as you know it today would go down by a LOT. If you can tell me that your life would then still be as qualitative, satisfying and fulfulling as it is today, then you're either lying or insane.

And don't tell me everything I said above doesn't constitute 'wealth'. It does.
Actually, yes, I could get rid of all of those things. My children are more than enough to satisfy my basic emotional needs. I don't need my TV/PS3/DVDs/cable TV/etc. In fact, if it wasn't for my family loving that crap so much I would sell all of it, except this laptop. My computer is the only superficial thing that I really love because of the connections it offers me.

And, for the record, my family does live on the absolute bare minimum. We consolidated all of our debt about three years ago and are trying to pay it off in about four years instead of the fifteen it would have taken otherwise. We also have a little child which means I have to work only 32 hours a week. We are purposely living tight so we can live a little looser later in life when we are older.

I honsetly do not need any of those things to be happy.

Creating and appreciating beauty then sharing it with those who I deem worthy. Might sound bad, but I can honestly say that's the truth.

I have a book about human psychology and it says that the biggest human need to be happy is self-realization.So I would say that the most important thing is to find your way in life.Haven't found mine yet,but I'm young and looking for it. ^^

Actually, yes, I could get rid of all of those things. My children are more than enough to satisfy my basic emotional needs. I don't need my TV/PS3/DVDs/cable TV/etc. In fact, if it wasn't for my family loving that crap so much I would sell all of it, except this laptop. My computer is the only superficial thing that I really love because of the connections it offers me.

And, for the record, my family does live on the absolute bare minimum. We consolidated all of our debt about three years ago and are trying to pay it off in about four years instead of the fifteen it would have taken otherwise. We also have a little child which means I have to work only 32 hours a week. We are purposely living tight so we can live a little looser later in life when we are older.

I honsetly do not need any of those things to be happy.

I was a 24-7 Dad, had a mortgage, car, job, expensive telly, gold jewellery etc.
5 years ago I ended up homeless and without my kids due to unforseen circumstances and ended up in a hostel on suicide/alcohol watch.
I remember sitting watching a fuzzy black and white telly, trying to watch snooker. I had a kettle and some teabags, a mug and a tap. No milk or sugar.
Yet I remember thinking I was quite content to watch snooker on a black and white telly and drink black, bitter tea.
At least I had them. I could have been sitting there with nothing. If I had been though, I would have dealt with it.

About two months ago I sent my driving license back as I couldn't afford the £20 to replace the photo on it.
I still have no work and am still watched by my doc on the suicide watch.

Even though I do now have material goods, a telly, DVDs, a home, some money in my pocket to go play pool with () and it is nice to have them, I do know that material goods aren't important and I could quite easily live without if I had to.
Let's face it, I sent my license back and sold my rust bucket of a car. Can't afford it? Get rid, no regrets.

What's important to me in my life now?
Seeing my kids whenever I can and as long as I have my pool cues for a night out, I'm happy.
To be honest, I could live under a bridge right now, as long as I had my cues and could see the kids regularly.

I was a 24-7 Dad, had a mortgage, car, job, expensive telly, gold jewellery etc.
5 years ago I ended up homeless and without my kids due to unforseen circumstances and ended up in a hostel on suicide/alcohol watch.
I remember sitting watching a fuzzy black and white telly, trying to watch snooker. I had a kettle and some teabags, a mug and a tap. No milk or sugar.
Yet I remember thinking I was quite content to watch snooker on a black and white telly and drink black, bitter tea.
At least I had them. I could have been sitting there with nothing. If I had been though, I would have dealt with it.

About two months ago I sent my driving license back as I couldn't afford the £20 to replace the photo on it.
I still have no work and am still watched by my doc on the suicide watch.

Even though I do now have material goods, a telly, DVDs, a home, some money in my pocket to go play pool with () and it is nice to have them, I do know that material goods aren't important and I could quite easily live without if I had to.
Let's face it, I sent my license back and sold my rust bucket of a car. Can't afford it? Get rid, no regrets.

What's important to me in my life now?
Seeing my kids whenever I can and as long as I have my pool cues for a night out, I'm happy.
To be honest, I could live under a bridge right now, as long as I had my cues and could see the kids regularly.
Sounds like freedom to me. Well, some of it anyway.

If I could support myself financially, I'd get rid of my house and take my kids and travel the world. Unfortunately work has me tied to one spot for now. Maybe one day I can get rid of these chains and just see the world. I'd love to see my kids reactions to the Grand Canyon and Tokyo, places I've been fortunate enough to see in person but they haven't.

As much as I put down the film Fight Club, there's a line that I love in that film; "The things you own end up owning you". I'm tied to this house and this city and I long to get out.

One day...

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
my friends and football!