Are YOU Frugal?

Tools    

Hi Stirch. A "peel out" is when someone floors or nearly floors the accelerator of their car when the car is in a stopped or nearly stopped position - this usually causes the tires to screech loudly, creates smoke (either from the tire friction or out the tail pipe), leaves marks on the road and (IMO) makes the driver look very immature.

Some people will do this at stop lights to try to "beat" traffic, intimidate other drivers, make believe they are a drag racer (or something) or they feel that the smoke & noise "peeling out" creates makes them look "cool" and will impress others - when all it really does it reveal them as a gas waster, someone who adds needless wear & tear to their vehicle (especially their tires), and a reckless driver.
Captain, thanks! Gosh, I hate this kind of driver. As a male friend of mine always says “Is this really necessary?” when we’re taking a walk together & some idiot (never a woman) is peeling out. (I feel so cool now for using this term.)

I'm thinking it could be a noun or verb depending on usage.

To perform "a peel out" would be a noun, but if you said "Hey, let's peel out, man!" then that would be a verb.
Totally correct.

The opposite of an adjective.

You are a noun, Rules.

That's not quite right either... "Citizen Rules" is a noun; more specifically it's a "proper noun."

While "you" is a pronoun (that is of course if you support nouns, but if you are against nouns then you are an anti-nouner).

Enjoyed reading @Citizen Rules takes on his frugality.

I can't say I'm frugal, but people around me say I'm too frugal, my colleges, my mother.

Obviously, they don't say that when:
1. I spend a paycheck on a present, or give away what usually three people give in a wedding;
2. Pay my share and other people's share to the guy driving his own car/gas on a 150km journey, in a country with one of the lowest minimum wages and most expensive gas prices;
3. I take it personally when the dinner bill comes and they want to divide the wine price between them and not with me since I didn't drink wine, it's a dinner, I don't mind the bill be split equality. Although I don't like getting invited to dinners because I eat well at home;
4. I don't ask and even forget the money I lend.

I don't like to spend money, and people nowadays like to spend money, maybe because they have a lot of places to spend money. When I spend money, I try to buy quality, the price is important but is almost secondary. Food is in what I most spend money on quality. Also, it's like Tarantino said: I like to taste my coffee.

I also like to dress in average quality clothes, brands like C&A or Springfield when the prices are 35-50% discont. Just bought this jacket for 40€, the price was 70€. The last jacket I bought from this brand lasted more than 10 years. If 40€ lasts another 10, that's 4€ a year, you can't buy a decent jacket for that price. Also, I usually do an investigation of what I like from these two brands, I've been searching for a rain jacket that is thin for almost three years now, I hate the two pockets in the front but I'll have to live with it.

If I go to the movies, which I don't, I can get them all online, for free, the tickets are overpriced anyway, but if I go to the movies, I don't buy the Coca-Cola and popcorns, if I want popcorns I go to the supermarket, get them for 1/5 of the price, sneak them inside, and eat them. The Coca-Cola is full of ice, and overpriced as well. Nowadays the only place concerning this that I spend money without crying for it is in independent movie houses. Usually there's a day in the week that the entry is free, I try to take advantage when the movie is suitable, last week was Portrait of a Lady on Fire, I skipped it.

I don't go to fast food chains because it takes a lot of food for me to be satisfied, the food is good in the mouth, not in the body, is expensive when you add stuff around it, the drinks, the dessert, the chips full of salt, and it doesn't feed, I get thirsty all day long. In my lifetime I went five times to a fast-food chain, still, I'm fat, go figure.

I don't go out and take a breakfast, or go to the pub. We have the greatest breakfast places in the world, everyone says our bread is from the gods. But you pay for it, 1/3 of the cost of eating in a bakery is eating in there, take the bread home. The same goes for pubs, you're paying everything doubling because someone is serving you, and you are in the designated place to be drunk, go be drunk at home.

I try to drive my vehicle the less as possible, this means I have a notebook with the places I need to go. I use Google Maps to see how each route can collide. It's not of my liking to drive around, I stop the car somewhere and go walking, good exercise and I can see what's around slowly. All my activities to do on my own are free. The ones I feel compelled to do are the ones I pay money, they involve company, mostly from work, that I tend to avoid, and that's why they call me cheap.

Frugality is something you learn, things like:
  • How to spend less water taking a shower, the army shower, showerheads that drip less water. Learn what human parts you suppose to spend time cleaning;
  • Buy in bulk, everything you can, hair washer, everything you can;
  • The energetic efficiency of the electronics you buy;
  • Buy extension cords with a switch, easily unplug appliances you're not using;
  • How to save gas driving a vehicle... the essentials to maintain it, take care of your tires;
  • How to take advantage of internet investigation to fix things around the house;
  • How to make meals that are nutritious with the cheapest vegetables;
  • Drink water with your meals, if you like juice, take a lemon and cut it, don't squeeze it, if you cut it and just add water it last much longer. If you like wine, the price doesn't tell how good the wine is;
  • Learn what appliances spend less doing more. Pressure cooker, slow cookers, rice cookers, electric kettle, the list goes on and on;
  • Where to buy your fish, what fish to buy, for instance, sardines are the most nutritious fish around, a can of sardines is cheaper, also, frozen sardines are not as bad as people think;
  • How to take care of your boots, the leather conditioner is not expensive;
  • A garden is a great way to see things grow and also eat what comes out of it;
  • Dryer is a electricity magnet, it consumes so much electricity, hang clothes on a clothesline to dry;
  • Everything you do, do it when it's full, washing dishes, washing clothes, make it full;
  • Whatever you use to eat the water to take a shower, insulate it;
  • Don't use anything disposable. Those who shave frequently, buy a Safety Double Edge Razor with some Russian Blades, it's more comfortable, shave better and much less expensive long term;
  • Don't give money to the banks, it's okay to buy stuff and pay it for three months, take a look at how much they're going to take for themselves;
  • Renegotiate every contract you have, internet, cellphone, television. Nowadays you almost just need internet.
There's so much you can save, ask your grandmother, she'll probably know better than me or anyone here. What's most important in all this is: Learn to value what you have, if you do, you'll probably question if you need anything else, that's called gratitude, it's born out of awareness and it's scientifically proven to be the key to happiness. What more do anyone needs?

I should probably look at the cost of things more. Went to buy Sensodyne toothpaste from CVS & noticed if I bought 2, one would be half-price. Then I looked at the price of this stuff that I have used forever & was surprised to see that a tube costs $10. Too lazy to get up & see the size of this stuff that I bought, but, basically, a largish tube.

I had no idea that a tube of toothpaste could cost $5 let alone $10. I’m very out of touch.

Enjoyed reading @Citizen Rules takes on his frugality.

I can't say I'm frugal, but people around me say I'm too frugal, my colleges, my mother.

Obviously, they don't say that when:
1. I spend a paycheck on a present, or give away what usually three people give in a wedding;
2. Pay my share and other people's share to the guy driving his own car/gas on a 150km journey, in a country with one of the lowest minimum wages and most expensive gas prices;
3. I take it personally when the dinner bill comes and they want to divide the wine price between them and not with me since I didn't drink wine, it's a dinner, I don't mind the bill be split equality. Although I don't like getting invited to dinners because I eat well at home;
4. I don't ask and even forget the money I lend.

I don't like to spend money, and people nowadays like to spend money, maybe because they have a lot of places to spend money. When I spend money, I try to buy quality, the price is important but is almost secondary. Food is in what I most spend money on quality. Also, it's like Tarantino said: I like to taste my coffee.

I also like to dress in average quality clothes, brands like C&A or Springfield when the prices are 35-50% discont. Just bought this jacket for 40€, the price was 70€. The last jacket I bought from this brand lasted more than 10 years. If 40€ lasts another 10, that's 4€ a year, you can't buy a decent jacket for that price. Also, I usually do an investigation of what I like from these two brands, I've been searching for a rain jacket that is thin for almost three years now, I hate the two pockets in the front but I'll have to live with it.

If I go to the movies, which I don't, I can get them all online, for free, the tickets are overpriced anyway, but if I go to the movies, I don't buy the Coca-Cola and popcorns, if I want popcorns I go to the supermarket, get them for 1/5 of the price, sneak them inside, and eat them. The Coca-Cola is full of ice, and overpriced as well. Nowadays the only place concerning this that I spend money without crying for it is in independent movie houses. Usually there's a day in the week that the entry is free, I try to take advantage when the movie is suitable, last week was Portrait of a Lady on Fire, I skipped it.

I don't go to fast food chains because it takes a lot of food for me to be satisfied, the food is good in the mouth, not in the body, is expensive when you add stuff around it, the drinks, the dessert, the chips full of salt, and it doesn't feed, I get thirsty all day long. In my lifetime I went five times to a fast-food chain, still, I'm fat, go figure.

I don't go out and take a breakfast, or go to the pub. We have the greatest breakfast places in the world, everyone says our bread is from the gods. But you pay for it, 1/3 of the cost of eating in a bakery is eating in there, take the bread home. The same goes for pubs, you're paying everything doubling because someone is serving you, and you are in the designated place to be drunk, go be drunk at home.

I try to drive my vehicle the less as possible, this means I have a notebook with the places I need to go. I use Google Maps to see how each route can collide. It's not of my liking to drive around, I stop the car somewhere and go walking, good exercise and I can see what's around slowly. All my activities to do on my own are free. The ones I feel compelled to do are the ones I pay money, they involve company, mostly from work, that I tend to avoid, and that's why they call me cheap.

Frugality is something you learn, things like:
  • How to spend less water taking a shower, the army shower, showerheads that drip less water. Learn what human parts you suppose to spend time cleaning;
  • Buy in bulk, everything you can, hair washer, everything you can;
  • The energetic efficiency of the electronics you buy;
  • Buy extension cords with a switch, easily unplug appliances you're not using;
  • How to save gas driving a vehicle... the essentials to maintain it, take care of your tires;
  • How to take advantage of internet investigation to fix things around the house;
  • How to make meals that are nutritious with the cheapest vegetables;
  • Drink water with your meals, if you like juice, take a lemon and cut it, don't squeeze it, if you cut it and just add water it last much longer. If you like wine, the price doesn't tell how good the wine is;
  • Learn what appliances spend less doing more. Pressure cooker, slow cookers, rice cookers, electric kettle, the list goes on and on;
  • Where to buy your fish, what fish to buy, for instance, sardines are the most nutritious fish around, a can of sardines is cheaper, also, frozen sardines are not as bad as people think;
  • How to take care of your boots, the leather conditioner is not expensive;
  • A garden is a great way to see things grow and also eat what comes out of it;
  • Dryer is a electricity magnet, it consumes so much electricity, hang clothes on a clothesline to dry;
  • Everything you do, do it when it's full, washing dishes, washing clothes, make it full;
  • Whatever you use to eat the water to take a shower, insulate it;
  • Don't use anything disposable. Those who shave frequently, buy a Safety Double Edge Razor with some Russian Blades, it's more comfortable, shave better and much less expensive long term;
  • Don't give money to the banks, it's okay to buy stuff and pay it for three months, take a look at how much they're going to take for themselves;
  • Renegotiate every contract you have, internet, cellphone, television. Nowadays you almost just need internet.
There's so much you can save, ask your grandmother, she'll probably know better than me or anyone here. What's most important in all this is: Learn to value what you have, if you do, you'll probably question if you need anything else, that's called gratitude, it's born out of awareness and it's scientifically proven to be the key to happiness. What more do anyone needs?
I missed this post first time around. Lots of good stuff here. Thanks!

I am saving money for retirement, but I must prioritizes the essentials. Food, rent, high powered firearms, and plenty of ammunition.

Remember all them canned goods for the zombie apocalypse, kids. So buy Chef Boyardee!

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Frugality is definitely open to interpretation, but I don’t think some of the rationales listed are frugal and that’s fine.

My definition is basically “want” vs. “need”. In the true spirit, wants are eliminated regardless of how good a deal they are. Then you value shop the need.