Do you see these movies being rebooted?

Tools    

I've often thought of a Logan's Run remake - there are a lot of ethical topics to be explored in the story and the ideas that things we think are taboo might one day be acceptable (and vice versa) could be very relevant to our current social / cultural / political climate.

The original is great for what it is, but some parts seem a bit dated and it's rather a mix as far as special effects are concerned.

Logans run is dated i think enough to be remade.
Do you think movies like back to the future call for a remake i think its still very relatable and dosnt feel out of place for a modern viewer.

Logans run is dated i think enough to be remade.
Do you think movies like back to the future call for a remake i think its still very relatable and dosnt feel out of place for a modern viewer.
Part of the success of Back to the Future which makes it a "modern classic" is the comedy (something that's not a big part of film like Logan's Run) and the success of the comedy & entertainment value was due to the cast (M.J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd and the rest).

Since it's doubtful that kind of on screen chemistry could ever be recaptured for the same characters then I say no to a remake of Back to the Future.

I've often thought of a Logan's Run remake - there are a lot of ethical topics to be explored in the story and the ideas that things we think are taboo might one day be acceptable (and vice versa) could be very relevant to our current social / cultural / political climate.

The original is great for what it is, but some parts seem a bit dated and it's rather a mix as far as special effects are concerned.
I don't usually like reboots but Logan's Run might prove to be the exception. I'm curious as to what ethical topics it might explore...did you have any ideas in mind?

I wouldn't say no to a Waterworld remake tbh.

I mean, the original movie was hit with huge budgetary problems, and then fighting between Costner and director Reynolds caused the director to walk out and Costner then had to finish the movie.

The budget problems basically caused almost 3/4 of the script to be thrown out and streamlined into the story we got.
They had loads of factions in the story, not just smokers and sailors.
They also had loads of sea-creatures and more action scenes, but it was all thrown out because of the mounting costs.

I reckon the original Waterworld could easily be pushed to a trilogy of 4+ hour movies.

With today's tech as well, they could do it too.

Think of all of the potential for Back to the Future. You could take our sexual politics back to 1991 (e.g,. George falls in love transitioned Marty) with cheap Vanilla Ice jokes every 5 seconds.

I don't usually like reboots but Logan's Run might prove to be the exception. I'm curious as to what ethical topics it might explore...did you have any ideas in mind?
Obviously the main topic from the original - forced euthanasia for anyone over 30.

But there were others touched upon in the original that have seen a lot of evolution over time (in one direction or another) in our real world since the time of the film...

Such as: plastic surgery, youth culture, ageism, a self-contained & isolated society, wave powered energy, religion, a sexually free & promiscuous culture, social media & on-line shopping (where in Logan's world you could order up anyone who put themselves on the "circuit" - a.k.a. the net - for sex), law enforcement, underground revolutionaries, runaway technology ("Box"), cloning, a non-parental society where children are raised by the state (that one really has some recent relevance), and a load of various political issues concerning freedoms.

Obviously the main topic from the original - forced euthanasia for anyone over 30.

But there were others touched upon in the original that have seen a lot of evolution over time (in one direction or another) in our real world since the time of the film...

Such as: plastic surgery, youth culture, ageism, a self-contained & isolated society, wave powered energy, religion, a sexually free & promiscuous culture, social media & on-line shopping (where in Logan's world you could order up anyone who put themselves on the "circuit" - a.k.a. the net - for sex), law enforcement, underground revolutionaries, runaway technology ("Box"), cloning, a non-parental society where children are raised by the state (that one really has some recent relevance), and a load of various political issues concerning freedoms.

Yep, it all fits.

Not to change the subject, but I just started thinking about wave-powered energy. Now I realize it wouldn't be practical for inland areas, but why not for coastal cities? The tides never stop (due to our moon). It's a constant source of energy. Why don't we have coastal plants built on shorelines with generators that could turn the never ending waves into energy?

I was thinking of how I would re-envision Logan's Run if I was the script writer/director. And I would do more! By that I mean I'd explore more of the concepts and ideas that were merely touched upon in the movie, like you just said!

First....in the movie people at 30 went to Carousel and hoped to be one of the those who were lucky enough to be renewed (reborn). In the movie no one seems to doubt this concept, except Logan. I'd have a society deeply divided between the devout believers in renewal and those (anti establishment- runners) who believed Carousel was mere euthanasia. I'd make that the focus of the film and show the turmoil it causes the society as this anti Carousel idea grows. We'd see a society that's about to crumble and lose it's techno-perks due to the growing belief that society has lied to the people.

Second....I'd explore what takes place in the section of the city that houses those who live outside of the norm. I believe they were called cubs? I'd explain them as genetically inferior people (but only from the elitist city dwellers viewpoint). These outcast live out a normal life span and in doing so achieve a mature and wisdom that the self serving, spoiled rich of the main city never achieve. The cubs have means to infiltrate the city and can pass themselves off as dome dwellers. They support dissension against a life of consumerism and self absorb-ness that the humans in the main domes have embraced.

Third....under the city and unknown to the people, are the techno-mechanisms in which food is created to feed the masses above. Below the city is a living hell where fish and food from the sea is mass produced by cloning technology and kept in inhumane tanks until killed and processed for protein. This underworld would be a good place to put an updated Box in.

Outside of the sealed domes is supposedly an ecological catastrophe where an engineered virus destroys any life that comes in contact with it. Thus anyone becoming a Runner and hoping to leave the city is terminated by a Sandman before they can escape....The rub is that outside of the domes the world has healed itself and no one needs to die at 30. That truth would be revealed in the ending by Logan.

I was thinking of how I would re-envision Logan's Run if I was the script writer/director. And I would do more! By that I mean I'd explore more of the concepts and ideas that were merely touched upon in the movie, like you just said!

First....in the movie people at 30 went to Carousel and hoped to be one of the those who were lucky enough to be renewed (reborn). In the movie no one seems to doubt this concept, except Logan. I'd have a society deeply divided between the devout believers in renewal and those (anti establishment- runners) who believed Carousel was mere euthanasia. I'd make that the focus of the film and show the turmoil it causes the society as this anti Carousel idea grows. We'd see a society that's about to crumble and lose it's techno-perks due to the growing belief that society has lied to the people.

Second....I'd explore what takes place in the section of the city that houses those who live outside of the norm. I believe they were called cubs? I'd explain them as genetically inferior people (but only from the elitist city dwellers viewpoint). These outcast live out a normal life span and in doing so achieve a mature and wisdom that the self serving, spoiled rich of the main city never achieve. The cubs have means to infiltrate the city and can pass themselves off as dome dwellers. They support dissension against a life of consumerism and self absorb-ness that the humans in the main domes have embraced.

Third....under the city and unknown to the people, are the techno-mechanisms in which food is created to feed the masses above. Below the city is a living hell where fish and food from the sea is mass produced by cloning technology and kept in inhumane tanks until killed and processed for protein. This underworld would be a good place to put an updated Box in.

Outside of the sealed domes is supposedly an ecological catastrophe where an engineered virus destroys any life that comes in contact with it. Thus anyone becoming a Runner and hoping to leave the city is terminated by a Sandman before they can escape....The rub is that outside of the domes the world has healed itself and no one needs to die at 30. That truth would be revealed in the ending by Logan.
Excellent, Rules!!!

I'd think we could extrapolate from the original that Runners (and those in the underground trying to help them) either don't believe or are unsure about Renewal which is why they are running in the first place.

But I really like your advancement on the idea!

I looked up the book (which I never read) and found they changed the age of termination from 20 in the book to 30 for the movie. So, in the book it was REALLY a youth culture - basically a society run by children with teenagers as the elders.

(Reminds me a little of a certain Star Trek episode!)

Bonk! Bonk!

Excellent, Rules!!!

I'd think we could extrapolate from the original that Runners (and those in the underground trying to help them) either don't believe or are unsure about Renewal which is why they are running in the first place.

But I really like your advancement on the idea!
That's what I was thinking, that the runners believe they will die in Carousel so...you know they don't like that and run!

I was going to write more based on your post, there's a lot of concepts you mentioned that could be worked into the movie (it's just getting late for me).... But for example the whole change your face/cosmetic surgery bit could be expanded to change your look or even change your sex...very topical and could be used by Runners trying to escape. Though Sandmen would have the ability to scan the palm crystals from a distances for correct ID, so escape is hard.

That's what I was thinking, that the runners believe they will die in Carousel so...you know they don't like that and run!

I was going to write more based on your post, there's a lot of concepts you mentioned that could be worked into the movie (it's just getting late for me).... But for example the whole change your face/cosmetic surgery bit could be expanded to change your look or even change your sex...very topical and could be used by Runners trying to escape. Though Sandmen would have the ability to scan the palm crystals from a distances for correct ID, so escape is hard.
When I looked up the book, part of the synopsis said (ironically enough) that "Francis" (Logan's friend & fellow Sandman) was actually in his 40's, but due to a malfunctioning palm crystal and PLASTIC SURGERY was able to maintain a deception of his age - and had a secret identity as he worked undercover to help Runners.

Apparently, he was a very different character than the villainous "frenemy" from the movie!

Not to change the subject, but I just started thinking about wave-powered energy. Now I realize it wouldn't be practical for inland areas, but why not for coastal cities? The tides never stop (due to our moon). It's a constant source of energy. Why don't we have coastal plants built on shorelines with generators that could turn the never ending waves into energy?

There is abunch of them that have been built applying different techniques
Not enough funding maybe countries dont take it serious

Liking all the ideas behind a LR remake...

This though ^^ stood out to me as an extension from WALL-E and They Live.

Inside the dome, the main core of society, there's billboards everywhere with messages telling the masses to, well, Buy'n'Large.
Basically obey, buy stuff, spend your hard earned credits and make yourself happy with consumerism before you reach 30.

All the while, there's the secondary society that nobody really knows about, living to old age, getting rich and living comfortably.

I’ve just never heard of a director and producer saying that they would never let another director reboot or do a sequel to one of their film franchises. This is a first for me maybe they have been others. But basically we are saying that we will never see another back to the future film in our lifetime or as long as Bob Gale and Robert Zemeckis are alive. Zemeckis has said over his dead body that another sequel would happen that seems a bit dramatic if you ask me. I might have thought Universal has the power to and authority to determine they would reboot movies such as E.T, Jaws, or Back to the future, even Waterworld for instance. Spielberg has said no actually he said a firm no to a Jaws remake but I don’t know if the studio again has control over Spielberg to make a reboot or Jaws 5 sequel happen it’s too bad we won’t ever see new tales and versions of these great movie franchises happen in our lifetime I’d like to see a long awaited sequel to E.T but it won’t happen. People say that their are great shark movies but Jaws is in a league of its own I guess I can understand why it wouldn’t be touched but I’d like to see a version more based on the book because I heard the book was a lot more bloodier than the movie itself which was surprisingly rated PG. I guess that would be worth exploring of Jaws if they made it like the Peter Benchley novel. At some point you wonder when certain movies will get rebooted or remade in our lifetime. Twister is actually getting remade not sure if that’s good or not it’s being made by Universal this time. I want to see a new version of Moby Dick or 20,000 Leagues Of The Sea even a new Greek mythology movie franchise I think they should another reboot of Clash Of The Titans or Jason and the Argonauts, or Eighth Voyage Of Sinbad, I feel like we need more Mythology films not just Greek but that’s the one that definitely comes to mind at first since they’ve done so well making Greek Mythology bringing them to cinema the older ones not the new ones today I’ll say 300, Kingdom Of Heaven, Troy were all very good ancient type war movies don’t mean to rant but we haven’t seen any of these types of films for awhile they’re fading I want to see a comeback Gods Of Egypt (2016) is the more recent one I can remember with Gerard Butler. BTW lastly disaster films like Twister should make a comeback.

[b]........

In fact, I'm curious about the next cinema takes on Dracula and Frankenstein (sooner or later). I hope we'll have, some day, a high quality, high production level attempt at faithful adaptations. For real, this time.
I'd be curious to see either of those. It's interesting to see how movie versions hijack an original story and, in both cases the book is quite different from the well known movie versions with that name. Also, in both cases, I prefer the book version.

If somebody DID go back and make a fairly faithful movie version of either, would audiences accept it or have previous movies claimed the name to the extent that people would not accept the originator of the franchise. I don't know the answer to that, but I'd like to see someone take a multi-million dollar gamble and make a Frankenstein version where the monster is actually literate and contemplative like the literary character.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
If somebody DID go back and make a fairly faithful movie version of either, would audiences accept it or have previous movies claimed the name to the extent that people would not accept the originator of the franchise.
I don't think it would be an issue : so many loose adaptations have taken a "fresh take" on the material, deviating from previous movies is a norm. The baffling thing is how none of these new takes have tried to deviate from the movie towards the book. At least not very far. Yet, they love to claim they do ("Bram Stoker's..", "Mary Shelley's..."), so, marketing-wise, it seems a valued direction. See also all the successive "this time we get a james bond closer to the books" (also implying it's necessarily a good thing).

There's both a promoted authenticity, and a reluctance to it. It's confusing. Maybe a marketing calculation of the "don't give the public what it thinks it want because it doesn't" kind, with a touch of "but still do pretend to give it what it thinks it wants". Or maybe the filmmakers who care to deviate from movie clichés are also those who prefer to shape their own personal version.

And to be fair, if you go back at Dracula, the title character does indeed appear very few times. He's more like Jaws' shark or the Alien. Maybe that would be frustrating for the audience. The BBC adaptation of 1977, with Louis Jourdan as Dracula, was charmingly faithful(-ish), but also a bit boring. But I still think a beautifully-haired, vaguely translucently skinned, high-brow creature of Frankenstein would make for an interesting movie, though. At least not less so than all the wonky experimental versions there's been.

I don't think it would be an issue : so many loose adaptations have taken a "fresh take" on the material, deviating from previous movies is a norm. The baffling thing is how none of these new takes have tried to deviate from the movie towards the book. At least not very far. Yet, they love to claim they do ("Bram Stoker's..", "Mary Shelley's..."), so, marketing-wise, it seems a valued direction. See also all the successive "this time we get a james bond closer to the books" (also implying it's necessarily a good thing).

There's both a promoted authenticity, and a reluctance to it. It's confusing. Maybe a marketing calculation of the "don't give the public what it thinks it want because it doesn't" kind, with a touch of "but still do pretend to give it what it thinks it wants". Or maybe the filmmakers who care to deviate from movie clichés are also those who prefer to shape their own personal version.

And to be fair, if you go back at Dracula, the title character does indeed appear very few times. He's more like Jaws' shark or the Alien. Maybe that would be frustrating for the audience. The BBC adaptation of 1977, with Louis Jourdan as Dracula, was charmingly faithful(-ish), but also a bit boring. But I still think a beautifully-haired, vaguely translucently skinned, high-brow creature of Frankenstein would make for an interesting movie, though. At least not less so than all the wonky experimental versions there's been.
I've seen some, though not all of the Frank and Drac movies and indeed some are closer, but none get the details right nor, given the limitations of a two hour movie, do they indulge as many details as there are in the books. That's always true of horror movies where you have a couple hours with an audience that came for some cheap thrills.

It's especially hard in a movie universe where the bean counters are constantly recalculating their demographics and marketing strategies. That's when Vlad the Impaler somehow gets out of Wallachia, changes race, nationality and/or ethnicity and starts preying on cute victims from the nice part of town, rather than middle Euro peasants with donkey carts.

Given the mercenary mindset of film producers, I have to admit that my favorite among Dracula movies is Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula. The details differ, but, if you go back to Stoker's book, it's about as dripping with Victorian sex as you could get in that time and place. Gary Oldman's over-the-top performance and evocation of Prince Vlad, coupled with topless Vampire-ettes, seems like a decent updating of the original and its lurid but implied sexuality. The vampire even pronounces his name as "Drakulya", like the original 15th century boogieman, AKA Vlad Dracul.

Similarly, the 90's Frankenstein with Robert DiNiro as the monster is one I recall well, although I have not seen it for a long time....need to revisit it.

ET will we ever see a reboot of this? Waterworld? Will Close Encounters of the Third Kind ever get a reboot? 20,000 leagues under the sea? The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? Alien? Poltergeist? Terminator ever get a reboot just asking. I’ll even go with Titanic any classic hit movie do you think will ever get rebooted? How about the Goonies?

Those reboots might only happen after Zemeckjis and Spielberg die. But League is DEFINITELY gonna get a reboot closer to the source someday. Alien's getting sequels that will ignore 3 and Resurrection, Poltergeist already got rebooted, and there's little reason to reboot Titanic. Bryan Singer's working on his own 20000 Leagues as we speak. As a Bryan Singer fan who's favorite novel just so happens to be 20,000 Leagues, I'm looking forward to this.