I'm Buying A House!

Tools    

i know you say it with tongue and cheek, but i was legit creepily trying to find house photos that McClane was posting just so i could be like "i found that house MoFo!". Don't trust the internet!
Yeah, it was entirely in the spirit of fun, but only half in jest.

It's never a good idea to post personal info (or photos that may contain personal info) on the net. Obviously, any threat probably would not come from the MoFo, but from people who surf the net looking for that type of info.

Duplicate Account (locked)
Yeah, it was entirely in the spirit of fun, but only half in jest.

It's never a good idea to post personal info (or photos that may contain personal info) on the net. Obviously, any threat probably would not come from the MoFo, but from people who surf the net looking for that type of info.

i thought it was creepy to know that Zillow literally posts all house pictures on the web that they can find, i wasn't able to find that one picture of a house that John McClane posted, so i don't know what kind of harm that can do to post a picture of your house...probably not much.

i thought it was creepy to know that Zillow literally posts all house pictures on the web that they can find, i wasn't able to find that one picture of a house that John McClane posted, so i don't know what kind of harm that can do to post a picture of your house...probably not much.
Right, just a photo of a house would be harmless - but a house number with a street name could potentially be traced to a precise location. (Very difficult without knowing town or state, but enough info may already be on this site for some weirdo to begin narrowing it down.)

Duplicate Account (locked)
Right, just a photo of a house would be harmless - but a house number with a street name could potentially be traced to a precise location. (Very difficult without knowing town or state, but enough info may already be on this site for some weirdo to begin narrowing it down.)
Well, if someone is driven to find out info on someone, then there are all sorts of methods for this. The prying nature of the web overall seems to be a bigger issue than the wierdos. Overall, you're probably fine if you're careful about your real name, address, phone number, credit card numbers, bank account numbers, and the bureaucratic identifiers like SSN and TIN. I think facebook overall is just incredibly dangerous and bad, because it conditions people to be comfortable with putting their intimate info online for everyone to see. I guess i'm not so worried about all these companies who collect info about the stuff i like because i'm already careful about where i buy stuff online anyways...and the ads have little effect for me.

You ready? You look ready.
Putting in an offer on a house today. We'll see how it goes.
Ditto.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
You read it here, folks! "Yoda In Bidding War with Long Time Shoutbox Count Rival!" Are there no depths!?

(don't ban me)

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I offered. They countered. I accepted.
There goes the neighborhood.

What's left to do:
  • FHA appraisal
  • Pull money out of retirement
  • Sign papers

What I will need to do before I feel comfortable moving in:
  • Insulate attic
  • Make a few modifications to ductwork and then insulate
  • Install a GFCI outlet in the kitchen
  • Look into getting the outlets grounded properly
  • Sand and finish hardwood floors
  • Bring existing fence to the back of the house
  • Stain and seal concrete in the basement
  • Patch an open hole from the basement to the attic (old chimney location most likely)
  • Paint, paint, paint.

Things I will need to do in the coming years:
  • Replace all the windows
  • Replace the exterior doors
  • Replace the kitchen cabinets
  • Update the bathroom flooring
  • Redo the retaining wall for the driveway
  • Redo the deck

⬆️ What the heck is a GFCI outlet?

When you varnish your hardwood floors (such a pain) make sure the outside temperature is conducive to the floor drying overnight. Husband has once or twice rushed this & varnished on completely the wrong day & caused the floor barely to dry at all. Tricky, this part IMO. Especially when one has pets, which we do & you do too.

I have a concrete basement floor. Is it important to stain & seal it? Which we’ve never done.

Are you planning to paint by yourself?

You’re super-efficient I must say. Commendable.

⬆️ What the heck is a GFCI outlet?
Ground fault circuit interrupter. It's those outlets with the test/reset buttons. Anywhere that's near water (kitchens/basements/outside outlets) should have an outlet of this type.

"The ground-fault circuit interrupter, or GFCI, is a fast-acting circuit breaker designed to shut off electric power in the event of a ground-fault within as little as 1/40 of a second. It works by comparing the amount of current going to and returning from equipment along the circuit conductors."

When you varnish your hardwood floors (such a pain) make sure the outside temperature is conducive to the floor drying overnight. Husband has once or twice rushed this & varnished on completely the wrong day & caused the floor barely to dry at all. Tricky, this part IMO. Especially when one has pets, which we do & you do too.
If all goes well I should have a full 2 weeks to get the floors refinished. I won't be moving in until the floors are 100% finished, and I am going to overestimate on the time to dry. So I'm looking at a month to get the floors done.

I have a concrete basement floor. Is it important to stain & seal it? Which we’ve never done.
Main purpose is to eliminate dust because unfinished/sealed concrete stays dusty. It'll also give it protection from water and foot traffic. And it just looks way better than unfinished concrete.

https://allthingsflooring.com/2018/0...ncrete-floors/

Are you planning to paint by yourself?
I might have help from my dad when he visits for Christmas. Otherwise, yes, I will be doing all of this by myself.

You’re super-efficient I must say. Commendable.
Haha, how so? Just for making a list?

Ground fault circuit interrupter. It's those outlets with the test/reset buttons. Anywhere that's near water (kitchens/basements/outside outlets) should have an outlet of this type.

"The ground-fault circuit interrupter, or GFCI, is a fast-acting circuit breaker designed to shut off electric power in the event of a ground-fault within as little as 1/40 of a second. It works by comparing the amount of current going to and returning from equipment along the circuit conductors."
Interesting. The only test/reset button I have come across is the one with our sole AC unit.

If all goes well I should have a full 2 weeks to get the floors refinished. I won't be moving in until the floors are 100% finished, and I am going to overestimate on the time to dry. So I'm looking at a month to get the floors done.
This sounds like a plan. Yes, it’ll be much easier than when one is living there. I think we’ll hire a pro next time. For sure, I am done varnishing floors.

Main purpose is to eliminate dust because unfinished/sealed concrete stays dusty. It'll also give it protection from water and foot traffic. And it just looks way better than unfinished concrete.
It sure does. Our unfinished basement is my husband’s domain. All his tools & whatnot are down there. Other than my washer/dryer I don’t need to be down there. What do you think you’ll use yours for?

Haha, how so? Just for making a list?
Never under-estimate the power of a solid bullet points list. You’ve got your thoughts together & you have a doable plan. 😎