Welcome To Our Nightmare: A Terror and Wooley Horror Show

Tools    

BLOOD FROM THE MUMMY'S TOMB (1971)

Finished off the Hammer mummy series with the final entry. I won't say a lot about this one in case Mr Wooley decides to rewatch it also, but interested readers should be advised that this one does not include any actual mummies. Instead it's the story of an ancient Egyptian queen who is reincarnated in the 1970s as an unreasonably attractive person. Many throat wounds ensue, along with an occasional severed hand. This has more of an occult vibe than a mummy-movie vibe, so I'd recommend it if that's your bag.

Been awhile since I'd seen this one, but it's another solid one from Hammer. (It's streaming on Plex)

This will (probably) be my last mummy-related post in this thread

Victim of The Night

BLOOD FROM THE MUMMY'S TOMB (1971)

Finished off the Hammer mummy series with the final entry. I won't say a lot about this one in case Mr Wooley decides to rewatch it also, but interested readers should be advised that this one does not include any actual mummies. Instead it's the story of an ancient Egyptian queen who is reincarnated in the 1970s as an unreasonably attractive person. Many throat wounds ensue, along with an occasional severed hand. This has more of an occult vibe than a mummy-movie vibe, so I'd recommend it if that's your bag.

Been awhile since I'd seen this one, but it's another solid one from Hammer. (It's streaming on Plex)

This will (probably) be my last mummy-related post in this thread
As I alluded to earlier, it is so hard for me to tell whether or not I actually like this movie because I am so entranced by Valerie Leon. I'm pretty sure I like it. But Valerie Leon.

Victim of The Night
Took this video last night at the big Halloween house on St. Charles Avenue here in New Orleans:

Don't know what these two old dudes are talking about but the presentation is cool.

As I alluded to earlier, it is so hard for me to tell whether or not I actually like this movie because I am so entranced by Valerie Leon. I'm pretty sure I like it. But Valerie Leon.
Yeah, having just watched it again I'm comfortable calling it a "good movie", with or without the sex appeal. So long as the viewer is ok with vintage occult shenanigans, of course. I'm sure a certain audience would find it dull, but that audience is not likely visiting this thread.

Victim of The Night

This is one of two movies I now watch every October. Maybe there's a more-Halloween Halloween movie out there (that doesn't actually suck) but I haven't seen it.

If there's anyone out there that still hasn't seen it, this film is an omnibus of four stories that are happening simultaneously in the same small town in Ohio on Halloween night. The stories don't have as much of a "wraparound" like others in this sub-genre but rather are intertwined. In some cases it's merely a chance passing between the characters from different stories, in others there is more crossover. This includes my favorite story, with Anna Paquin as a naive Little Red Riding Hood trying to find a date for the party her sisters are throwing.

There is an incredible attention to detail as, on my eleventh viewing last night I actually found two more nuggets I hadn't noticed before. There is also just a fun almost-for-kids vibe to the movie except that then people get their Achilles' tendons slashed in one of several small homages to other horrors, from animatronic horrors of the 80s to Buffy The Vampire Slayer moments.
This is always some of the most fun I have in October and one I look forward to every year. I got the pleasure again this year of showing this to someone who'd never seen it and of once again having that person really like it.

I love Trick 'r Treat. Outside of Creepshow, it's my favorite horror anthology.

Hmm, never saw it...

There is an incredible attention to detail as, on my eleventh viewing last night I actually found two more nuggets I hadn't noticed before.
I probably told this story in a previous 'Thon, but my first viewing was with a guy who wasn't into it at all, so my first impression of the film was that it was just ok.

Inspired by your enthusiasm for it I gave it a second shot a couple of years ago, and was really impressed with the level of detail regarding the various connecting threads. I consider myself a fan now, even though I haven't watched it often enough to have guessed the still from your horror quiz.

Captain Terror and his minions, 1983

I didn't know you were Danny DeVito's older brother.

Victim of The Night

Captain Terror and his minions, 1983

Wow, there's a lot to unpack here. My "costume" appears to be Charitable Canadian Bookworm Zombie?
Yikes
I dunno, man, I'm diggin' that Saints snow cap.

HAUSU (1977)

So here's one that I've wanted to see for many years but just never got around to it until now.
The latter-day marketing for this one seems to focus on the cheesy effects and promises the film equivalent of one of those "WTF Japan?" memes.

It can certainly be enjoyed on that level but I wasn't prepared for some of the underlying stuff that comes with it, like The Bomb or the relationships between teens and step-parents. So it's wacky if that's what you came for, but if you're inclined to dig deeper there's some stuff to chew on.

But what impressed me most was the utterly alien approach to editing/continuity. I haven't seen anything else by Obayashi, so I don't know if this is his usual MO. It's jarring at first but I'll always admire when someone manages to produce something that is so unique. Liked this one even more than I was expecting to. This is a future BluRay purchase for sure.