How big of a difference is Blu-Ray compared to DVD?

Tools    

I have to return some videotapes.
I'd like to hear your guys' thoughts. Just recently started buying them, and I'm wondering if i'm better off going the cheaper route.

Is there a huge quality difference?

The difference is enormous imo. If you can't see the difference you need a better set-up.

Nah but for real, I actually have a hard time watching DVDs now because I know how good a Blu-ray can look.

Watch this if you need convincing:

Blu Ray does make a huge difference, but you do not need to buy EVERY movie in Blu Ray. I have a lot of comedies on DVD. A fair amount made by Kevin Smith. That being said, I am not really in the rush to buy Clerks or Clerks II on Blu Ray. Because as much as I love Kevin Smith, he is not a visual director. He is a dialogue guy. And HD does not enhance the laughs when Dante asks his girlfriend Veronica how many d***s she has sucked. If I want a movie on Blu Ray it is because I want to enhance the visual experiance. Hence why my first Blu Ray purchases were the likes of Taxi Driver, Apocalypse Now, Blade Runner, Jurassic Park, and Terminator 2.

Now I will get Clerks and Clerks II on Blu Ray anyways, but that is more me trying to get my Top 25 favorite films on Blu Ray. But if a film is not really that much of a visual wonder of some kind, I think I will just skip the Blu Ray and save a few bucks with the DVD.

I'd say pretty big difference, especially with older movies, they look a lot sharper on Blu Ray. Also the sound is much better. If I have a DVD I have to put on the subtitles half the time because I can barely hear it.

You can also get many Blu Rays at pretty decent prices nowadays, so I'd say it's worth it.

If I can't find one on Blu Ray though, I usually don't hesitate to get the DVD. I had to do that with '71 just last week.

Massive difference. For instance, T2: Judgement Day. Top is DVD and bottom is Blu-Ray.

Is that a joke? The picture on the bottom looks terrible.

These comparison screens you're posting are brutal, jrs. Blu-ray is much better than DVD in all but a few select cases but you're not doing it justice at all with these compressed images. No clue where you got that T2 one, must be a joke. A proper comparison will be in full resolution and in png format.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Care for some gopher?
I can recommend the follwing site: http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleich...i_overview.php

There you can compare the Blu-ray version of a movie with the DVD version. Take a look on the Ben Hur example: http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleich...=212&lossless=

Blu-ray is far better than DVD. I still like DVDs, but in most cases, Blu-ray blows the picture quality seen on DVDs far away. And yes, JRS' pictures are a total joke.

The difference is more in the details of the image, not the color. There's a lot more detail. Blu-rays, when viewed on a good TV, make it look like you can reach out and touch the people and things in the movie. It makes you feel like you're actually there.

RoboCop on Blu-ray.

RoboCop on Blu-ray.

RoboCop on Blu-ray.

And these even look much better when viewed on a TV.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	9334_22_large.jpg
Views:	2093
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	22217   Click image for larger version

Name:	9334_23_large.jpg
Views:	2293
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	22218   Click image for larger version

Name:	9334_14_large.jpg
Views:	2211
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	22219  

But that was part of the charm of RoboCop... the fact that Verhoeven filmed it with a grainy look.
He did the same with Starship Troopers.

JRS' pictures are a total joke.
Those are direct image comparisons of DVD and Blu-ray. I was showing the differences between the two visually. Which you can obviously see.

I can make changes like that on my TV contrast settings.
That's a joke.

If you want a good test - try Avatar. Watch a scene on blu-ray, then go back to the dvd(on a normal dvd player) and watch the same scene. You will be disgusted with how the dvd looks compared. DISGUSTEDDDDDDDDDD.