What do you think of people who pirate film/tv shows?

Tools    

It was a joke.

Watch this ad.

I prefer this version

It was a joke.

Watch this ad.

I know, I know, and wasn't referring to you (it was pretty clear that it was a joke )... but how anti-piracy adverts do use these kinds of arguments and comparisons.

This exact same ad is found in many Spanish DVDs, by the way (translated of course).

There are more fundamental differences. When you pirate something -I am talking about downloading/streaming now- you are not stealing it. You are consuming a copy. A fake. The originals still exist and they still produce benefit. This is essentially why I can't take seriously the over-the-top comparisons AKA "would you steal a car????". What am I stealing? Property rights? No. Concepts? No. They exist, they belong to the author, I am just consuming a copy that the author didn't allow.
Well technically you are violating the sell the copy on condition term of the contract (they make the product and sell a copy on the contractual condition that you will not make further copies). Though the people seeding the stuff that are doing that, pure downloaders are just taking the copy being offered.

So in a way you are violating property rights. But the fact is that in today's world it is impossible to enforce a contract of this type, making the contract a impractical joke.