Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Shampoo (1975)

Okay, I'm going to do one of my few "just okay" movie ratings. Shampoo stars Warren Beatty, Julie Christie, Goldie Hawn, Jack Warden, and Lee Grant. Beatty stars as George, one of the top hair stylists in Beverly Hills and the story takes place on the eve of Richard Nixon's re-election and pretty much covers the twenty-four hours from morning to morning thereabouts. George is very popular in his job, mainly because he beds practically every lady whose hair he cuts. I guess it's a double entendre when George says, "You should let me "do" you." His whole life is chaos as his girlfriend, ex-girlfriend, and current mistress all cross paths while George is trying to get a loan from the husband of his mistress, so he can open his own salon. For me, Beatty's performance is just made up of stuttering and stammering and the inability to get anything out of his mouth when a woman corners him and asks him a point-blank question. This goes on throughout the movie and is basically the whole of Beatty's role. To say that the supporting cast acts circles around him is an understatement, but even they are not that great. That Lee Grant won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her role as George's mistress is pretty astounding. Sorry, but it's just an okay, smallish role that is far beneath other jobs she's done.

That Beatty and Robert Towne were nominated for Best Original Screenplay is a wonder, considering that it took them several years to complete it, and except for the settings for scenes, nothing really of note happens, except for the Election Night Party that most of the characters attend. I don't know if it was supposed to have any political point or if it was even supposed to take sides against Nixon (which it didn't seem to do at all). And it was billed as a comedy/drama: there was more drama than comedy, although there was one hilarious scene where a Senator makes a nonsensical speech, complete with Native American singing. The rest of the film was like a weak episode of "Three's Company" to me. Things happen for no reason in this film, like a scene where George's pushy boss has a tragedy happen in his family but is not even seen in the scene and George just shrugs it off and goes on to the next scene.

This was supposed to be a very popular film at the time, but I honestly don't know why. Most of the films of the 70's that were popular were pretty good, and still hold up, in my opinion (I went to movies A LOT in the 70's) but I guess I'll chalk this one up as to being only of its time. I've wanted to see this for a long time, so maybe the buildup over the years just led to a letdown. I don't know. If anyone has seen this and likes it, please give me your opinion of it and what you thought its point, if any, was. For me, it's just an "eh."

Still, I give it

Gunslinger, I give Vampyr probably the same rating you do. It was rather laborious at times, but watchable at least. I was glad to see it after hearing so much about it for so long. But it was nowhere near the classic I've heard it made out to be. Still, I did like the moodiness of it. But nothing I'd re-watch.

You guys who are watching the John Waters movies --

Check out
POLYESTER (1981)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082926/

It's the first John Waters movie I ever saw and it's pretty much my favorite.

It stars Divine from Pink Flamingos but it's not like Pink Flamingos. It's the first normal, mainstream movie that John Waters made. It's like watching Serial Mom -- it's not like watching Pink Flamingos.

Very good movie. Divine plays a woman who's life spirals out of control thanks to her family.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_m3t3yiwRR81qa409eo1_500.png
Views:	709
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	13354  

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I haven't been nearly as productive as usual over the last couple of days, I've been reading and writing for a lot of the week. I wrote a four-thousand word research paper about social-sciences and Eastern Illinois University, not the most glamorous of works, but such is life. I think that I had fun with it though, I also wrote a short-story to go with one of my characters in my writing.

Anyway, I figured that I'd watch polar-opposites. I didn't write a full-review on any of them because I didn't care enough.

Tower Heist - There is entertainment value to be found to a certain degree but it was a mediocre film when all things are considered.

The Usual Suspects - This movie was obviously a step-up in-terms of ambition, and is beloved by a lot of people. While I don't think that it lived up to the hype that I had for it, (I didn't think it was a perfect ten) but I liked the story. There were some moments when the story felt a little allover the place and tedious, but I liked the idea. I liked Kevin Spacey's performance, I liked some of the notable lines in the movie, I liked the suspense for the antagonist, and the conclusion.

Finished here. It's been fun.

Andrei Rublev
+
One of the greatest films ever.

Just watched Third Finger, Left Hand, (1940) a film I'd never heard of, starring Myrna Loy and Melvyn Douglas. It's one of those typical "person lies about something and things spin out of control, with comic hijinks ensuing" type of movies. And it works. Old pros Loy and Douglas do great in their roles, I shouldn't called them "old" as they were young here, with Loy exuding her usual sexiness comined with humor and Douglas doing a great job being her comic foil. I'll admit I'm more used to the dramatic Douglas in later films like Hud and Being There, so it's a great joy to see him handling comedy with ease.

The Purge, 2.5/5. It was alright as a movie, but failed horribly as horror. There was all of one jump scare, and the masks thing, was kind of lame. This is coming from a guy who hates creepy faces more than anything else in horror. I don't recommend buying it, but if you are bored, it's something to do.

Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job.
Rise of the Guardians (2012) - 4 out of 5 Stars! Soooo cute! So glad I finally got around to watching this film. I desperately want to cosplay a fem!North (mainly because I want those tattoos and Jack Frost is rad. Just a fun fun movie all round.

"And our credo: "Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc." We gladly feast on those who would subdue us. Not just pretty words."

Beyond the Hills

first romanian film i've ever seen, and i really liked it. brilliant examination (and occasionally criticism) of friendship, religious crises, as well as patriarchy in general. fantastically bleak cinematography and some great tracking shots and long takes and interesting shot composition. wouldn't really call it ambiguous, but it certainly never really condemns religion or the nuns/father. if anything, they're portrayed as more helpless and misguided, but always basically well-intentioned. it's kind of hard to judge the acting since i don't know what other romanian acting is like, but they were great if they were going for bleak and dreary, which i'm pretty sure they were.

85/100

One Missed Call, 3/5. I hadn't actually seen the first one and I tend to avoid movies that are less than an hour long. This movie was a good reminder why. It wasn't horrible but like the purge it lacked horror. I give it a better rating than the purge solely based on the murder mystery aspect of it, but even that was rushed. They had too many characters and didn't close every part of the story they opened up. I've seen worse, but I've been better as well.

I just watched 'The Cabin in the Woods'. Kristen Connolly was so brilliant and she performs well. love her character in the film.

Beyond the Hills

first romanian film i've ever seen, and i really liked it. brilliant examination (and occasionally criticism) of friendship, religious crises, as well as patriarchy in general. fantastically bleak cinematography and some great tracking shots and long takes and interesting shot composition. wouldn't really call it ambiguous, but it certainly never really condemns religion or the nuns/father. if anything, they're portrayed as more helpless and misguided, but always basically well-intentioned. it's kind of hard to judge the acting since i don't know what other romanian acting is like, but they were great if they were going for bleak and dreary, which i'm pretty sure they were.

85/100
Thats a great film! One of my favorites from 2012!

The Rumanian New Wave is on fire and you should definitely check more of their films out!

I would recommend stuff like Aurora (2010), 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007), Child's Pose (2013) and Police, Adjective (2009),

I havent seen The Death of Mr. Lazarescu from 2005 by Cristi Puiu which should also be really good. Also Corneliu Porumboiu have made a new film called When Evening Falls on Bucharest or Metabolism, which im going to see at this years CPH : PIX festival.

Finished here. It's been fun.
The Silence

Absolutely brilliant, and at this point in time my favorite Bergman film. It's a cold depiction of humanity, a tale of two sisters who are unable to love one another. Its a bit similar to Cries and Whispers(which happens to be the MovieClub pick this month If I recall), although I believe this is superior.

The one who watches the world Burn
Shaun of the Dead: 8/10
It was fun watching a movie which illustrates the idea that you always need complexity to enjoy a good movie.

Just finish the final season of Breaking Bad and this series is no doubt for me the best ever . one word : WOW , it's just simply fantastic how the work between Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul is amazing all the character in the serie is important for the history and seriously i don't see one poor acting in all five years of Breaking Bad so the rating is well f*cking deserved .

100/100 A MASTERPIECE by VINCE GILLIGAN and Thank You for all the year !

Welcome to the Dollhouse (1995) - 8.5/10

Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia
(Director: Sam Peckinpah; 1974)

Like the stench of Alfredo's severed head, this movie has lingered in my mind for the last couple of days, which, in my experience, is often the sign of a great movie. I love movies that are dark and gritty and aren't afraid to show the ugliness of violence or the self-destructiveness of man. This movie reaches almost Cormac McCarthy levels of bleakness. Ain't no white horses to be found here. Every character is driven by their own selfish desires, be it greed or revenge. It's a crime/thriller that looks and feels like a western, and yet none of those genre designations do the movie any justice because it's something too complex and far too great to fit neatly into any preconceived notions or labels. This is Peckinpah at perhaps his most unrestrained and tortured, Peckinpah-esque self. I could go on and on---- I could talk about how Warren Oates is perfect for the lead role or how the story winds and twists and turns in on itself until, by the end, we've reached the barren chamber of its soul--- but I've ranted and raved enough. I'm glad I watched this movie. I was blown away by it and it will place very high on my 70's list. One of my new favorites.

[5 out of 5]

I watched Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia a couple weeks ago and gave it 3/5. You've got me feeling like I should watch it again already, like maybe I should've liked it more.