The Hobbit

Tools    

I am burdened with glorious purpose
My guess is you have to have Peter Jackson's name on the poster or a lot of people will not be interested to see it. If he's producing, it is his film, in a way, right?

And Mark f, that's an Easter Egg on the actual Fellowship DVD?? Are there others?

EDIT: Never mind, found quite a few on youtube. I had seen the others but not this one. It was on MTV.

Never Rub Another Mans Rhubarb.
I get it now...way to big yourself up Jackson...Its Del Toros film in my mind and I think it could be his crowning achievement if they let his imagination run wild. I wonder if Jackson will get jealous if its better than what he did with LOTR...that would be a bust up I'd pay to watch....beardy on beardy brawls...

Even if The Hobbit turns out to be great, nothing will take away from Jackson's achievement with the trilogy. Nothing.
That's for sure. Including with the success of the third one.

Never Rub Another Mans Rhubarb.
No doubts, I'm far from dissing Jacksons work on the LOTR trilogy, it was masterful.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Q:When does filming for The Hobbit begin?
A:it will begin in 2010 and we will shoot for about 370 days or so…

My guess is you have to have Peter Jackson's name on the poster or a lot of people will not be interested to see it.
Do you really think that more people went to see The Fellowship of the Ring solely because they were Jackson fans than those who were simply excited about a Lord of the Rings movie? I highly doubt that. While the fact that Jackson had done a masterful job on it and The Two Towers strongly contributed to the successively climbing box office figures for each new installment, the base of the film trilogy's success still lies in the enthusiasm for Tolkien's work.

And at this point, the quality of Jackson's LOTR films are going to serve as a draw for The Hobbit as well- even if Jackson himself has nothing to do with it. Massive hordes of people are going to turn out for The Hobbit, Peter Jackson or no.

Is this still going to be 2 films?
I hope not. Absolutely no reason to split this. A 2.5 hour long movie would cover "The Hobbit" just fine. Then a nice 3hour DVD version.

It will be great to see a big budget representation of the 'Five Armies' battle!

The Hobbit filming delayed

Just over a week ago Peter Jackson said that the script for the first Hobbit film was completed and they were now focusing on the script for the second movie. We heard from Ian McKellen that he would be heading out to New Zealand in March, so it was expected the second script would be finished in time. However, in a recent interview with German site moviereporter.net (via theonering) Peter Jackson said that filming will now take place in mid-2010.
“We’re currently working on the second script which we hope to have completed by the end of this year or beginning of next. When the scripts are completed, we can begin with the exact calculation of the necessary budget. We hope to start filming in the middle of next year. However, we’ve received no green light from the studio yet.” (translated from German)
The studio were happy with the first script so i’m sure getting the greenlight won’t be a problem, although delaying filming by a few months means they will have less time to work on them to hit their release dates. The first Hobbit film is expected to be released in December 2011, so if they start filming mid-2010 they’ll have around a year and a half to finish it.

Source: Filmonic

The Hobbit to Start Shooting in June!

It was recently reported that – despite rumors stating otherwise – The Hobbit is still on track for its December 2011 and December 2012 release dates.

Of course, it didn’t take a HUGE leap of logic to figure out that if The Hobbit was indeed going to be in theaters come December 2011, it would need to get underway REAL soon, as the principal shoot alone was going to take around 14 months.

Well, now we have word that The Hobbit is indeed slated to start shooting this June in New Zealand – of course there is still that pesky financial crisis over at MGM to clean up first…

Word of The Hobbit’s production start date was uttered by Production Weekly<&callback=load_tweet">/a>, with the good folks over at Coming Soon spreading the word to us. Again, there is still the question of MGM straightening out their current financial troubles, but since we know that New Line/Warner Bros. is helping to carry some of the financial burden until MGM gets back on its feet (or sells the property entirely), maybe that June start date isn’t impossible?

One thing that is for sure: there’s going to be nothing to shoot if they don’t get a cast together! We know that Ian McKellen will return as Gandalf – although apparently he’s the only actor from Lord of the Rings confirmed to be returning. Hugo Weaving, Cate Blanchett and Andy “Gollum” Serkis – whose characters all appear in The Hobbit storyline – are apparently not locked in for the next film(s).

If this June start date is going to truly happen, we’ll need to start hearing some casting news ASAP – most notably, the name of the actor who will play the titular character, Bilbo Baggins.

Source: Screenrant

Very good tale. As long as they make it, ill see it.

There seems to be some confusion on this thread.

Just to shed some light - Peter Jackson will be directing less films rather than more. Why? The man is busy. He is working many projects and wearing many hats.

As for the Hobbit - his involvement is huge. Far bigger that Del Toro's until Del Toro actually begins to direct on set.

Peter Jackson will oversee all post-production, as he has overseen all pre-production. He also wrote much of the script.

Make no mistake - Del Toro is a hired gun who was brought in to direct this film for Peter Jackson.

Peter himself, I feel, will be moving much along the same path as George Lucas (and Spielberg) in that he has become a huge force in the production-money end of the industry.

There seems to be some confusion on this thread.

Just to shed some light - Peter Jackson will be directing less films rather than more. Why? The man is busy. He is working many projects and wearing many hats.

As for the Hobbit - his involvement is huge. Far bigger that Del Toro's until Del Toro actually begins to direct on set.

Peter Jackson will oversee all post-production, as he has overseen all pre-production. He also wrote much of the script.

Make no mistake - Del Toro is a hired gun who was brought in to direct this film for Peter Jackson.

Peter himself, I feel, will be moving much along the same path as George Lucas (and Spielberg) in that he has become a huge force in the production-money end of the industry.
What confusion are you talking about? First of all people knew Del Toro would be directing The Hobbit since way back in 2008. Secondly, Of course Jackson will oversee all of this....its common sense. The Hobbit is HIS project to begin with.

By confusion, I mean;
- some seem to think Jackson is a wind bag, when he is actually a huge force.

- some seem to think Del Toro will be the primary "visionary" on this (as most directors are of their movies), but Del Toro is, as I said - a hired gun (like Spielberg on Indiana 4). Meaning - he is taking direction himself (from Jackson).

- some seem to think Jackson should actually direct it, when he doesn't have the time or interest to do so.

- I also made the statement that we will be seeing few films directed by Jackson in the future. He is going to be producing more than directing for the next few years. He has something like eight films in development - only two he intends to direct. He will be writing the screenplays and producing.

So, the main confusion I was trying to clear up was that this is a largely dominated Jackson project (as opposed to Del Toro being the dominating force) and I also wanted to give my perspective on who Jackson is and where he is going as a film maker.

The Hobbit to be delayed again!

Doug Jones—who played the title character in del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth and played Abe Sapien in the director's Hellboy movies—told Sci-Fi Wire that The Hobbit will be delayed a short while and will not begin until later this summer.

"It's going to be delayed for two months," Jones said in an interview Sunday at the Los Angeles Comic Book and Science Fiction Convention.

But Jones, who specializes in creature acting, did confirm that he'll be in The Hobbit in some form or other. "I'm a monster of some sort," he said.

The first installment of The Hobbit is scheduled for release around Christmas 2011, with the second part coming out a year later.

Jones will next be seen in a small role in the upcoming apocalyptic action movie Legion. He plays an enigmatic character called the Ice Cream Man.

"I was convinced to do this small part in Legion because I was told that I could show my real face," Jones said on a panel with other actors and director/co-writer Scott Stewart at the convention.

"Doug Jones is fantastic. He has such an expressive, elastic face, he's like the Cirque du Soleil of actors," Stewart said. "It was nice to give him a special small role that he could play with his face like this."

"Yeah, that's what convinced me, when Scott said, 'You get to look like yourself' when I come out as the Ice Cream Man," Jones added. "It's not a big role. I come out in the third act as a harbinger of doom. I describe him like the first raindrops in Noah's flood, and I'm one of the raindrops."

Legion opens Jan. 22.

Source: Sci-Fi Wire