Legend of Zelda movie

Tools    

just for fun i thought id get started on a screenplay of my own actually. im working out characters right now... then ill attack the plot. Ive read other people's zelda screenplays and theyre horribly atrocious.... just flat out really really bad. im coiming up with an original story though and taking elements from the games. like i actually want a beginning middle and an end. most people just assume you know all the characters already and so why bother introducing them. i hate that. i want to give the characters substance; look at the story on all sides rather than just staying on link (like in the games). i wanna write about the king, gannon, zelda everyone. And i dont wanna just say "gannon is a bad guy and wants to take over hyrule" thats lame. i want him to devlop into that person or at least give the readers a feel for him first. I have all these ideas bouncing around and i just keep writing them down... i want it to have all the qualities of a real movie and i want it to come off as a real movie... not the typical "movie based on a game" filth that has been plaguing theaters lately. I want someone who has never seen a zelda game in their life to be able to appreciate it... similar to the Lord of the Rings movies... i never read the books but i loved the movies... anyway im just rambling now... i dont know what will happen when im done with it. i mean im only 19, and this will be the first screenplay ive attempted. like i said though its just for fun (and for practice) but i can always keep dreaming... lata

ya i think so, and nice pic btw.

Originally Posted by Sleezy
Well, I'd say a few were recognizable, but seldom to a casual movie fan. Most people probably could have said, "Yeah, he/she was in that one movie...", about almost every actor/actress in the films, but couldn't have picked out a name.

Elijah Wood and Sean Astin were probably "familiar" to most, and Hugo Weaving was probably associated with "The Matrix" pretty quickly. Viggo Mortenson was probably a stretch for most people, since he's picky about roles. Bernard Hill and Brad Dourif might have been known to some, but most people would have no idea. Everyone who watches TV probably knows who Liv Tyler is, or who her daddy is. And Indy fans know who John Rhys-Davies is, but few know past that. I'd say Ian McKellen was probably pretty recognizable, thanks to the fact that X-Men catered pretty successfully to both comic book fans and casual film-goers alike. And Christopher Lee was probably known by older film fans, Bond fans, and everyone who saw Episode II. Past that, I doubt anyone knew who Orlando Bloom, Dom Monaghan, Billy Boyd, Miranda Otto, Karl Urban, John Noble, David Wendham, or Sean Bean was.
Mostly you'd be correct. Orlando Bloom just graduated from drama school for instance, LOTR was pretty much his first gig.

However I'd add Sean Bean to the list of known actors. He was in Patriot Games and Golden Eye, two pretty popular films, and he was the lead antagonist in both.

Personally I think a Zelda movie is probably a bad idea. For a fantasy movie I'd much rather see Dragonlance.

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd2003
just for fun i thought id get started on a screenplay of my own actually. im working out characters right now... then ill attack the plot. Ive read other people's zelda screenplays and theyre horribly atrocious.... just flat out really really bad. im coiming up with an original story though and taking elements from the games. like i actually want a beginning middle and an end. most people just assume you know all the characters already and so why bother introducing them. i hate that. i want to give the characters substance; look at the story on all sides rather than just staying on link (like in the games). i wanna write about the king, gannon, zelda everyone. And i dont wanna just say "gannon is a bad guy and wants to take over hyrule" thats lame. i want him to devlop into that person or at least give the readers a feel for him first. I have all these ideas bouncing around and i just keep writing them down... i want it to have all the qualities of a real movie and i want it to come off as a real movie... not the typical "movie based on a game" filth that has been plaguing theaters lately. I want someone who has never seen a zelda game in their life to be able to appreciate it... similar to the Lord of the Rings movies... i never read the books but i loved the movies... anyway im just rambling now... i dont know what will happen when im done with it. i mean im only 19, and this will be the first screenplay ive attempted. like i said though its just for fun (and for practice) but i can always keep dreaming... lata
I know what you mean, rubbish like tomb raider. I would love to hear your ideas aobut your storyline for zelda. you never know someone important mite read this site and make it. being in my teens i came to the zelda series l8 starting with ocarina of time which in my opnion is thebest game evr. i recently got the zeda colltos edition disc on gamecube (by far the best nxt genration consle no offence xbox and ps2) in englnd things r harder to buy than in the usa so i had t search far ad wide 4 it. uve probaby heard gd suggestiions for parts here our mine
Linkrlando bloom (cant think of anyone better)
Zelda:Keira Knightley (shes an english rose)
Ganon: Robert Englund (freddy kruegar nigtmare on elm st.)u heard it here first
Saria: Hillary duff (very cute)
ru thinking of having navi?

Alright, obviously a Legend of Zelda movie is undoubtedly going to be made in the future--I'm sure Nintendo gets request after request. And following the fame of the last three Zelda games for major systems--Ocarina of Time (Which story is very good for a movie plot, if re-vamped), Majora's mask (Also, a good story plot; perhaps, even a good sequel), and then, of course, a third in a trilogy of fantasticly thought up games: Windwaker. Hell, if they wanted, they could if they wanted to; make those three games into movies, and make a trilogy. They'd have to modify, and/or revamp it quite a bit, but still have the necessary plot. Or, better yet, make their own plot--I really don't care either way. Fact of the matter is this, grab actors and actresses who have shown their ability to play in action adventure type movies, and serious roles. For example; here's some of my choices for cast memebers:

Link--Orlando Bloom (look away from LotR, because he was also a godly actor, and sword fighter, in Pirates of the Caribbean),or Hayden Christensen, though I'd much prefer someone other than him.

Zelda--Kiera Knightly--as discussed before; is a great choice, but, of course, I don't know if she fits the role of Zelda. Maybe Malon, or another character they introduce? Natalie Portman has experience playing royalty, and playing a warrioress as well. No, Star Wars isn't exactly Zelda; but it's still something to think about. Or hell, let's look back to LotR, and think of that woman who play Aowyn? She's got some of a Zelda Look. Of course, we're lookin' for a younger actress who can play a 17 year old. And therefore, let's look to T.V. Maybe the young woman who plays one of thel eading roles in "American Dreams'? I'm vieing for her, if she could play the part. Who knows--this is a tough choice for one of the main characters.

Ganondorf--obviously, he'll be played by he who played Imonhotep. And perhaps the man who played Darth Maul--but htat's VERY unlikely, considering the man looks nothing like t him--he's just proven his ability to play serious roles.

Ganon--Cgi--if they even have "Ganon".

Sages--if we have them:

Raru (Light Sage): I haven't a clue--that's up to you guys this time.

Impa (Shadow Sage): THAT could be Uma Thurman, though unlikely. My main case for Impa would be the woman who played The Queen Elf in LotR. (Keep forgetting her name).

Darunia and Ruto--though actor capable, they could typically be played by CGI's.

Saria--That, too, is up to you.

And, Nabaroo--Selma Hayek, or some other Mexican, spanish, or Latino girl whose a good actress.

As for side chars:

Zelda's father--Sean Connery. Why? Because Sean Connery HAS to be in this movie. It's Sean Connery for crying out loud!

Epona--the Horse from Seabiscuit! (Seriously though, this one was a joke.)

And that's all that really come to mind--if you have any more ideas, please feel free to give me some ideas; however, those are the best I could come up with.

Hi there, i am new to this forum or any for that matter. I am currently taking a course in media production and one day hope to find my self in the film industry. I have been set a task by my college to produce a short movie that last no longer than 14 minutes, being such a big Zelda fan there was no question on what my production would based on. So scrap the "A" list cellibrities because there is no way i can cast them, what are your guys opinions on the plot of the movie. Ocarina of Time in my opinion has a very good plot to work with, or maybe i should produce a new one keeping in the Zelda theme and style. Seriously any thoughts you have on the matter would be appreciated.
You never know, if i do make it big time you might recieve a generous cheque in the future...???

Originally Posted by sharma
Hi there, i am new to this forum or any for that matter. I am currently taking a course in media production and one day hope to find my self in the film industry. I have been set a task by my college to produce a short movie that last no longer than 14 minutes, being such a big Zelda fan there was no question on what my production would based on. So scrap the "A" list cellibrities because there is no way i can cast them, what are your guys opinions on the plot of the movie. Ocarina of Time in my opinion has a very good plot to work with, or maybe i should produce a new one keeping in the Zelda theme and style. Seriously any thoughts you have on the matter would be appreciated.
You never know, if i do make it big time you might recieve a generous cheque in the future...???
Eh...well that's great. I'm all for it! GO FOR YOU! But, seriously though. There seems to be but one..<i>Minor</i> problem. That, of course, being the fact that in 14 minutes, how do you plan on doing the Ocarina of Time? There'd be no development--key to making movies. I'd suggest a new plot theme; and something small, and cartoonish probably. Maybe our little pig-friend Ganon; is on his way filtering through Hyrule, trying to find something to reek havoc on. He, of course, finds some valubale jewel from some Gerudo chick, and steals it. Well, Link being a member of the Gerudo Thieves, is asked to fetch it for her. So Link steals himself away into some layer of Ganon's, fights some guys, sneaks in, steals the item, fights Ganon epically--once more. And comes back to return the device, jewel, whatever. Then you end with Zelda: "WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU DOING WITH THOSE WOMEN AGAIN?!" And hitting him over the head with a frying pan--you could "x" the last part out, if you so chose. But it'd be funny. ^.^ ...>.> Yea, anyway.

Hmmm, thats an interesting idea...but i don't like. Don't get me wrong, thanx for replying but i'm going for more of a serious epic movie. I know it's hard with only 14 minutes.....but it's enough time for development as long as the scenes are quick and understandable by the audience. I really don't want to use humour..

It would be like a music video that tells a story, simular to "I would do anything for love" by Meatloaf....if you have heard or seen it???

Thursday Is Best
Originally Posted by crell123
The zelda cast should include

Link-Dean Correll (rising young actor on broadway)
Zelda - Hilary Duff
Gandorf - Colin Farrel
hilary duff may resemble zelda and be the same age but i just dont think she is that good of an actress, good singer (altho i hate that kind of music, but respect it) but acting is a bit iffy.

i think vin diesel (sp?) also should be played as ganondorf, i honeslt think hes perfect.

It Can't Rain All The Time
i think with a movie like this people should definetly pick new fresh actors and actresses buttt.....

Kiera Knightly sounds good as zelda but she may be too old....hilary duff isn't quite fit...she's too.....girly....too modern....not
THAT good of an actress......for YOUNG zelda tho...it could totally be that girl from Uptown Girls and Cat in the Hat

OOOH....maybe David Gallagher who plays simon on 7th Heaven could be link.....

Ganondorf could be played by that bad guy dude from The Patriot.....he's so creepy...ooh Jason Isaacs is his name

Nabooru could be like...Angelina Jolie....

Saria...hmmmm.....has to be someone little....i can't even think....i'll post when i can think of more...

Me I think that it would be better to do a movie of the legend of Zelda without any cast, like the movie: "Final fantasy-Spirits within". This movie wasn't really great, but the next movie ("Final fantasy VII-Advent Children) seems really good. Take a look at it at: http://www.square-enix.co.jp/dvd/ff7ac . However, before nintendo produce such kind of movies, I think we'll have to wait, but I really think the movie would be better this way.

yea that sounds like a good idea my friends say i look like link but i need 2 bleach my hair i would b willing 2 do it there is a girl i was goin out with who everyone said looked like zelda so some of my friends said we were the link and zelda couple i bet she would do it a regular movie star would look horrible in one of these kinds of movies my mom has a collage friend who directed a few movies that were ok he worked with MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING and he produced PASSIONADA. they turned out pretty well maybe he would be intrested my email is [email protected] if any one wants to give me support we probably would need to change the script though since link never talks too maybe we could change part of the story line so we could make 2 or 3 movies this is how I see the story line go

like in the first 1 zelda says (at age 8) she wants to go to another world and link (being her body gaurd not brother or whatever he is we could make all the royal family have body guards) goes with her the world (i will call it 2nd world) they pick goes 3 times faster (this world in this time) so every 1 year in their origional world is 3 years in the second world they go to so they are reencarnated as babies in 2nd world and remain close friends through out their second life journey (however it is only their minds in this world but their full bodies can go they just didnt want to risk the loss of life) we skip a few years and only link remembers the other world how to get to it he and zelda are together and such so the day comes when they are in allignment with the other world (age 13) and they must go back but gannon wasnt killed in the other world so he has possessed a kid in the world they are in and comes after zelda and link and link shows off and (with cool powers like magic or the energy thing from dragon ball z which i like) kills gannon link chooses an apprentice who will watch over the 2nd world until they return zelda and link go back to the other world and zelda cant quite remember whats going on so link must show her what she doesnt remember while secretly traveling hyrule looking for alliances to help aide in gannon's death in the 1st world link goes and visits the gurudos and zoras and gorans and kakories and hurulians and gains their alliances and link kills gannon with no help needed and there is peace between the different ethnics and zelda goes back to the 2nd world and lives there for a while and link tells her he will be in the 1st world watches over her and stays in the 2nd world he has the power to shape-shift so it gets cool

then the second movie gonnon escapes from the empty world he was traped in and with barely any strength makes a light arrow and kills the princess by shooting the arrow in the middle of the hyrule market who was in zelda’s place while she was gone she has the triforce of wisdom so when she loses it it goes to Zelda and she collapses from the imbalance of power and the fact she needs to carry the piece of the triforce link as a monkey in Africa feels the pain and falls from a tree and falls to the ground with like electricity paining him and Zelda this happens at night so they sleep through it and Zelda doesn’t realize a thing until she sees is when she is at school (learning) link wakes up too and realizes what must have happened and goes to find Zelda gannon (who felt the pain too since he has the triforce of power is pained but does not collapse until he is in the room by the drawer bridge with the pots and drinks poes as a way of getting his energy back link gets Zelda back to the 1st world and they check on their alliances for when they will have the war of the lives (Gannon and the skoutulas and the skeleton knights and all of those evil things that attack link through out the entire ''Legend of Zelda: Occoraina of Time" game vs. the gurudos zoras hurulians gorons and kokoris) and everything is OK until link finds the man in the pot room (gannon disguised) the people say he disturbes them and they want him out gannon says he will leave if he gets 10 poes and link gets him 10 poe and as he drinks them link asks if he will leave and gannon with his full strength kills him aside (hits link really hard not “kills” him) gannon goes to the top of the castle and changes it to the evil castle it was and summons his army and calls for link gannon tells link he has 3 days to prepare for when they will meet in the middle of the hyrule field for the 1 battle war the good guys are gathered and go for it and camp out under the stars waiting for the morning to come the lead gurudo and lead zora and lead goron and lead kakori and king of hyrule talk waiting for the battle at 3 am link takes Zelda to the land of the sages (another 1 of the gazillion worlds) where saria and the dead princess and the other sages await her to take care of her until the time is right for her to go back to the 1st world so they watch the battle through meditating and Zelda learns how to meditate and starts to remember how to use her secret powers like predicting time and stuff meanwhile she watches as the bad army comes out of the ground and stand in perfect army formations waiting until noon gannon comes down from the sky and asks 1 more time if they want to surrender and link says no and he says very well then and the bad guys advance toward the good guys and they start to attack and fight then gannon flies off toward the evil castle in Hyrule link flies after him with the master soward and Hyrule shield in hand in his green tunic the battle rages on and gannon and link meet atop the evil castle and begin to talk and soon they start to fight after a few gannon vs. link fight scenes and a few big battle war scenes link and gannon fly quick toward each other and from the big battle you see a big bang and the fighting pauses then in blinding white light you see a horse coming out from the castle and you cant tell who it is yet you see a silhouette and then you begin to see the green tunic as it stops being so bright and then you see link on Epona with his soward and his triforce on his hand glowing and you see the bad army all turn into these big skeleton guys (I call them assassins) with knives in their hands NOT for hands (they come out any time the assassins want their hands just glow white) (they change because their master is dead and they can go to their extremes and nothing is holding them back) the battle then resumes and link helps out and all the assassins get killed and Zelda goes back the the 2nd world again and she and link make out and she watches as he goes back to the 1st world and makes amends with the other tribes of people and rebuilds Hyrule and everything is ok and the movie ends

then for the third movie a year goes by and everything is ok and link decides he will visit Zelda so he goes and finds that gannon found a way to switch over into different worlds but he forgot how so he took over the world he was in and it was the 2nd world so he burned everything else up on Earth except for that town where Zelda was hiding so when link came he realized everyone was like a robot and zelda was no where to be found but a group of 4 kids managed to escape getting put under mind control they were zeldas friends in that world when she didn’t remember the 1st world so she used the powers she remembered from meditating in the previous movie to protect them gannon even put a mind control on the apprentice link chose in the 1st movie the apprentice is the one enforcing gannon’s laws zelda’s friends help link find gannon and Zelda is resqued from the prision she was in and gannon and link fight for what gannon claims is the last time needed so link wins easily but gannon used his last bit of strength to change back to the 1st world there he stays dormant for a year during that time Zelda decides she wishes to live some of her life in Hyrule so they go back so Zelda can serve as one of the royal family in the Hyrule government on an average day Zelda is kidnapped by gannon he takes the castle again link goes to the gurudos since in the 1st movie they excepted her as a sister (one of their kind even though she doesn’t stay with them) they decide they will go to any lengths to protect a sister they then go out with link on their horses to the evil castle for the finsl time instead of going through the castle with the gurudos link jumps off Epona and starts to climb up the side of the castle eventually link reaches the top and breaks through one of the stained glass windows with Gannon on it he goes into the room and gannon explains why he has lived so many times and they start to fight for really the final time they gurudos come into the room and get Zelda out of there and the gurudos get onto Hyrule field as the final battle scenes are shown and gannon makes the castle explode then the three gods naru din and farror come down to Hyrule and explain how they have taken the liberty of closing gannon in a world under their watch foreverthey then fly around Hyrule and it is healed and looks beautiful the bad things are gone forever and the alliances between the races (burudos gorons zoras kakories and hyrulians) are strong and will stay that way forever link follows Zelda around to which ever world she needs to go to and the movie ends with clips of link opening windows to the 2nd world and Zelda and him together

I dare say we REALLY should send a petition to Nintendo, I'm going to E-mail them this could be a blockbuster hit + I have already made a poster.

Check it out at

http://www.freewebs.com/quandick/Zelda%20Poster.jpg

I built this up yesterday.

bearing Six Strings of Stress
If Orlando Bloom, or any major LOTR characters, portray Link, I will refuse to see the movie. Sorry, but it's true.

Honestly, kids. I know everyone here, including myself, really like the LOTR series, but too much of a good thing is a BAD THING!! Do you really want to typecast Orlando Bloom any further? Hm.. he played a 'elf-looking man dressed in green'.. let's make him Link.. NO!! HE DOESNT EVEN RESEMBLE ANY ARTWORK OF LINK!! Plus, he's not the world's best actor, face it, it's true. It makes me sick that just because the LOTR films have been a real breakthrough in the fantasy genre, obsessive fans want to see their favorite hobbits, elves, dwarves, and kings in every possible film in the genre. Am I being out of line in saying this?

I think a Legend of Zelda film could be phenominally successful, but it needs to do it without trying to hop onto LOTR's bandwagon. Also, those of you who think you need to write 1,000,000,000 letters to nintendo to convince them to make a movie need to stop and realize that.. NINTENDO DOES NOT MAKE MOVIES. But, seeing as how John Woo is scheduled to make a Metriod movie in 2006, maybe you should look at actual movie MAKERS to write letters.

See ya later.

Before I begin, I would like to make two things clear:

1) I'm not claiming to be an "insider" or "someone who knows someone who ... etc ... very high up". Please do not consider anything in this post to be a "leak" or "announcement".

2) By that same token, I represent neither Nintendo nor any major motion-picture company. I'm just a fan like you.

A friend of mine is an amateur writer who believes that, if the right plot can be pitched to the right person, the process of converting Legend of Zelda into a movie may be started. I initially thought he was crazy (note the word amateur), but his idea makes sense, and here's why.

There have certainly been attempts to buy the rights to Zelda in the past, but <i>there's no general agreement on how to make it</i>. That is to say, one person may believe the story needs to start with the young Link and be a "coming of age" movie based on the Link to the Past/Ocarina of Time plot; another may believe that it should instead be an action flick with the classic "save the princess" plot, with the adult Link fighting the forces of evil in Rambo fashion; and so on.

Here's where you come in. We would like input (again, we are <i>not</i> Nintendo or 20th Century Fox - this is unofficial) from normal people on how you envision a Zelda movie. For example:

Do you see this as a live-action, cartoon, or CGI film?
Would the notion of fire/ice/light-imbued arrows be too cartoony if it was live-action?
Since it definitely a negative caricature of the Arab culture, would the Gerudo gang of thieves need to be redesigned?
Would a romance subplot between Link and Princess Zelda be acceptable, and why or why not?

Essentially, I am asking for any kind of feedback that you would like to provide. The last example question, however, is a big one. Obvious Hollywood fasion would necessitate such a romance, but a number of people have expressed objections. Hopefully, this discussion will further our cause. Thank you for your input.

Sincerely,
Gelber Weiss

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm sorry i just think the whole idea of making anouther unsucessful translation from a game to a movie is just dumb.

Lets not forget:
Street Fighter
or
Super Mario Bros.

What's it gonna be off of ocarina of time???
That game was the best.
But leave the games to gamers. Hollywood should keep movies to the movie lovers.

If you know what i'm saying.

I think that Erik Von Detten might do good as Link. He looks exactly like link and is around the same age. or at least he looks it. He may not act the best but maybe he could get better. Take a lookIMDB.com

I think it would be great to have a "Legend OF Zelda" Movie.

It would definately need to be live action because if it were CGI or Cartoon it would just be plain dumb. I think most all Zelda fans would like a live action movie (but i have heard a few that said CGI) but i think it would have to be live.

about the arrows, it might be okay to do the fire arrows, like show link lighting them on fire before he shot em. the others would work too if they showed like where he got em. I think it should stay true to the game and dont change much.

about the romance. i think it could work out okay in this movie. Not to a huge extent but to just show that he does like her and he likes her more as it goes by. i dunno im just given you my opinion.

and finally i think that it should give the backstory of link and show him as a little kid, but not for that long. I think the majority of the film should be him as an adult. because he's a whole lot cooler then!