! -The Lord of the Rings - !

Tools    

Alright: how many of you are sickingly excited, as I am, and how many of you have read the books? Let's discuss what should be left out, changed, etc.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
have never read the books but desperately want to see this. i grew up reading fantasy; i love that stuff.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I've seen the cartoon movies, thats about it. It looks cool, I'll see it, but I don't have any expectations so I won't be hurt if they leave parts out.

MovieForums Extra
I've read the books a while back, but I'm still excited about the movie! Looks like it's gonna be pretty good, do you know if they're filming the whole trilogy?

I also like fantasy, I reckon The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe should be made into a movie as well!!

Zeph: yup, all three books, back to back to back, with some liberties taken of course - the ones I've read of I basically agree with.

OG: yes, sort of, but those were not "full-blown" movies...good, but not great. I'm talking recognizable actors, nice special effects, etc.

It nears more everyday! Roughly eight months left. I guess I'll just have to wait, though. I think most of the shooting for the first film is completed, though.

The casting is good overall. I think the three hobbits have been cast fairly well (thankfully, Frodo and Sam have been cast the best of the four), especially when it comes to Aragorn, Arwen, Galadriel, Saruman, and Legolas, who looks just as he should.

I think the casting of Gimli, son of Gloin, is a tad off. The actor is a bit heaver than I picture a dwarf would be. He's a bit shorter, which is good, but Dwarves are still to be in solid shape, just shorter and stockier.

I'm not sure about the casting of Boromir (Sean Bean). The casting may not be the problem so much as the outfit. Per the cartoon and book, he ought to be wearing some kind of metal horns on his head, in my opinion. I also hope they make Aragorn look a bit older than Viggo Mortensen actually is.

I always thought Boromir would have a more "robust" build than Sean Bean. You know, I have such a clear picture of the LOTR characters in my head that I'm afraid I'll be disappointed by "live action" film and the shortcuts the director has to take to make the movie a more palatable length.

Yeah, I guess he should be a bit bigger than Aragorn, but not by too much, just a couple of inches. I think he ought to most definintely be wearing a helmet, though.

Don't you think they're taking a risk in making a trilogy? What if the first movie is both a critical and commercial disaster?

I fear it may be so.

Peter Jackson is an admirable director but his credits are hardly great. Heavenly Creatures and The Frighteners? How did he get the financial backing to make Lord of the Rings?

The acting talent is not very commercially viable. Elijah Wood is a wonderful actor but not a household name and Rudy, Rudy? I thought Sean Astin's career finished in the 80s.

I know there are fans of the books but how many? It's hardly got the popularity of Harry Potter today.

I read the Hobbit and thought it was an outdated fantasy.

To be fair, I'm not much of a fantasy fan. I've seen pictures of this film and it's looking good. I'll see it.

I hope for both Peter Jackson and the actors that the movie does well. But I doubt it.

Originally posted by bigvalbowski
Don't you think they're taking a risk in making a trilogy? What if the first movie is both a critical and commercial disaster?

I fear it may be so.
Critically? Yeah, might get tanked. The Phantom Menace did, but that's how it goes with this much hype. I think it will get at least one Oscar nomination, for adapted screenplay.

I don't consider this a risk at all.

Peter Jackson is an admirable director but his credits are hardly great. Heavenly Creatures and The Frighteners? How did he get the financial backing to make Lord of the Rings?
Because it's a sure-fire score. The three movies COMBINED will cost around $120-150 million, or basically the budget for the upcoming Pearl Harbor. The three films combined will easily bring in four or five times that.

The acting talent is not very commercially viable. Elijah Wood is a wonderful actor but not a household name and Rudy, Rudy? I thought Sean Astin's career finished in the 80s.
A movie such as this does not need, nor would it benefit much from, big name actors. Having read quite a bit of Tolkien, I can honestly say that the cast is superb. Wood IS Frodo, no doubt about it. Astin makes a fine Samwise. McKellan is a decent Gandalf, but not tall enough. The casting of Legolas, Arwen, Aragorn and Galadriel are all brilliant.

I know there are fans of the books but how many? It's hardly got the popularity of Harry Potter today.
I apologizing for the condescending nature of my statement, but that's nearly laughable. Tolkien's fans outnumber Potter's 10 to 1, and no, I'm not exaggerating.

Take a look at http://www.theonering.net. Tolkien has more of a following than Stephen-freaking-King. Why? Because he created a language, and an entire fictional history of a world.

I read the Hobbit and thought it was an outdated fantasy.

To be fair, I'm not much of a fantasy fan. I've seen pictures of this film and it's looking good. I'll see it.

I hope for both Peter Jackson and the actors that the movie does well. But I doubt it.
Of course it's out-dated, it's a fantasy about what we assume to be a long time ago.

Anyway, If anyone wants to set a small wager, count me in. I'd bet $20 easy that the first film brings in $150 million without blinking.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!

Peter Jackson is an admirable director but his credits are hardly great. Heavenly Creatures and The Frighteners? How did he get the financial backing to make Lord of the Rings
Are you bashing The Frighteners??

I can pretend that things last.
Hi All,

I have seen the trailer of the LOTR Trilogy.I must admit that I liked it.I love fantasy.We have the LOTR Trilogy books and 'The Hobbit'.I have read the latter.

Critically? Yeah, might get tanked. The Phantom Menace did, but that's how it goes with this much hype.
Yes,I agree.Thats how movies today are.A movie gets so much hype long before it is released and they do very well in the box-office.It's part of the marketing strategy and it seems to be working for LOTR.

The acting talent is not very commercially viable.
Well,I was suprised to find Sir Ian McKellan featured in the acting.He is no doubt a great actor.He comes from the "Shakesphearan School" where the likes of Laurence Olivier,John Gielguld once thronged.Elijah Wood is pretty good.He is young and talented.For him,getting a role in LOTR and acting with Sir Ian will do him good.He will learn a lot and definitely will improve his acting.As for the rest of the cast i dont know.

It's hardly got the popularity of Harry Potter today.
I love JRR Tolkien.BTW,his fantasy can be read for all age groups.On the other hand,H.Potter is targeted at children.So obviously the number of Tolkien fans is way more than Potter's.

First film brings in $150 million without blinking.
I am in for it.I think the film will be a Big hit.
My family and I are very excited about it.In fact we downloaded some screen savers and wallpapers of LOTR Trilogy.It looks too cool.

Cheers
Aditya

Just thought you'd all like to know: the new teaser trailer is up: http://www.film.com -- you get to hear Gollum for a moment, and get a brief view of The Shire, and The Council of Elrond!

I like that part in the Frighteners: "You are violating my personal bubble!"

LOTR better be good, with the budget.

It will be. Oh baby will it ever. It's already blowing me away. This is going to destory the competition. Everything else will be pitiful in comparison. We will replace the English word for "amazing" with "Peter Jackson."

I saw the trailer for this when I saw A.I.

Christ, I'm excited.

Ohhhhhhhhh man this is blowing my mind. Ya know, I've only been really into movies for, say, a little less than a year or so. I remember that I kind of freaked out when I heard Swordfish was about to be released, because I remember reading a script review of the thing, probably around the time filming started.

However, I've yet to see a movie that I had been eagerly anticipating for months and months on end. Star Wars: Episode I was a bit like that, but it wasn't the same. Not at all.

Lord of the Rings is going to be my first "go-crazy" movie. The first one I'll go out and see the very morning it opens. The first one that I'll have been obsessing over for half a year before it's opening. When I do finally see it, I'll be ridiculously nervous. I'll be fixing my collar and messing with little things like that to try to make sure everything is 100% perfect. I CANNOT WAIT.