"Leatherface" (Texas Chainsaw Massacre Sequel) Gets Release Date

Tools    

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Leatherface will have a limited theatrical release and VOD release October 20, 2017. It will also be made available September 21, 2017 in an exclusive DirecTV release.

Anyone excited for this? (TLDR at the bottom)

I am, sort-of. Truth be told, I've never been a fan of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre franchise, with it being one of the few slasher series' that I could never really take much interest in. Even the first film which was released to critical acclaim wasn't my cup of tea (though, I might re-watch that). As for the later entries, I disliked Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, disliked the first remake, however, surprisingly, I enjoyed the second remake, for some reason or another. The Texas Chainsaw 3D film is particularly bad as well.

What I disliked about the series has always been the characters involved. I thought the acting in the first film was abysmal, and bordered on atrocious thereafter. I enjoyed Texas Chainsaw: The Beginning, because I enjoyed the sheriff's performance, among other aspects, though, I didn't even really think that was phenomenal by any stretch of the imagination.

The idea that seems most appealing, for me, would be a simpler approach, similar in vein to the first film, but with a little more visual oomph behind it. I have no real interest in seeing the character's family or the psychological aspects behind him.

Unfortunately, that's exactly what it appears we'll get, with Leatherface meant as a prequel that will elaborate more on the depth of the character. This is a large gamble, and seems like a shoe-in to be bad. The fact that Lionsgate has continuously postponed this film, and, is now, basically shoveling it with a limited theatrical showing, suggests a lack of confidence. However, the fact that Julien Maury and Alexandre Bustillo are directing the film (the same guys that made the decent French film, Inside) is enough to have me still somewhat interested.

TLDR:
All signs suggest this film will be bad to me. Including lack of studio confidence, the fact that it's a prequel, and that I'm not a big fan of the series in-general. Still, I kind-of like the directors, so we'll see.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
I still will see it as a TCM fan. The original is still my all-time favorite horror film. Tobe Hooper only did part 2 to get Cannon Films off his back and he wanted to inject more of the black comedy, yet Chop-Top is great in that one.

I do like TC3D a bit despite the one cruddy line, but Dan Yeager did make a decent elder Leatherface. I like the concept for the prequel to determine who of the three escapees will become the future Leatherface. They even will have Sally and Franklin's father as a character in the film, which can be quite interesting.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Ewwwww. Looks pretty good.

They should have put "again" on that trailer.
"The massacre begins... again... again"

"Leatherface... again"

I don't get why they're making them, again. The last few have been panned, or not made any cash. Everyone knows this one won't be any good either. So why make them?

I'll stick to the original.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
They should have put "again" on that trailer.
"The massacre begins... again... again"

"Leatherface... again"

I don't get why they're making them, again. The last few have been panned, or not made any cash. Everyone knows this one won't be any good either. So why make them?

I'll stick to the original.
Actually, every Texas Chainsaw Massacre film since the reboot has made good return on investment. They're not juggernauts, but they're profitable and cheap. This film, however, looks to break that streak, which is why it isn't getting a huge theatrical release.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
The buzz... is back! So they say.

Honestly, looks decent. And with the Inside directors, I'm slightly hopeful.
I couldnt watch Inside - really unsettled me. Might have to give it another go.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I thought Inside was alright, nothing great, but after watching it, I definitely thought the guys would be capable of doing a Leatherface film well. We'll see...

Love the concept of having to guess which of the three boys will become Leatherface and how the Sawyer-Hartman rivalry started and plays out.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I can't believe no one is excited about Steffpphhhhen Dorf!

I'm guessing he's not the bad guy sheriff by the trailer?

Love the concept of having to guess which of the three boys will become Leatherface and how the Sawyer-Hartman rivalry started and plays out.

Have they rewritten the history then?
I always thought Leatherface wore the "mask" because he was born disfigured and hated his appearance.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Have they rewritten the history then?
I always thought Leatherface wore the "mask" because he was born disfigured and hated his appearance.

In the original he's mentally retarded and mute, Tobe Hooper has even described him as a "Big Baby". In the the continuity of the remake he suffers from facial deformity and skin diseases as well as mental retardation and being mute. He's really just a very large man child who's very good at cutting meat, and who mostly kills out of fear and to protect his family, or at the behest of his family.

I can't believe no one is excited about Steffpphhhhen Dorf!

I'm guessing he's not the bad guy sheriff by the trailer?
Actually, Dorff's character is deranged because he blames the Sawyers for the death of his daughter (seen in the beginning of the trailer). His character is the father of Texas Chainsaw 3D antagonist Burt Hartman, who led the charge to burn down the Sawyer house in the opening of that film.

What I will also find interesting is that we will get to meet Sally and Franklin Hardesty's father in the film. That should be quite an interesting connection.