When do you think the superhero flick fad is going to die?

Tools    

I mean just in the last 15 years (including upcoming films) we've had...

A complete Batman reboot

2 Superman reboots

3 X-men reboots, not to mention spin-offs

3 complete Spiderman reboots (including the upcoming Marvel Cinematic version of the character)

2 Fantastic Four reboots

The entire Marvel Cinematic Universe of course (with 11 films so far) and the upcoming DC Universe films

And a slew of miscellaneous films (e.x. a couple of Punisher films, a Green Lantern film; Hancock, lesser known comics like The Spirit, Daredevil, Watchmen, etc)

Not to mention all of the TV-show counterparts; Gotham, Agents of Shield, Flash, Arrow, Supergirl, etc

---

I just have a feeling the bubble's going to burst - this is just too much and has basically turned into a money-making machine, and people are going to get tired of it once the buzz of novelty wears of.

I think this'd be for the better anyway since the majority of these films are generica and stick to safe, predictable plot cliches; even the highly acclaimed-ones like "Avengers" are still pretty generic in terms of cliched plots and characters, they just aren't flat-out bad (like the original Fantastic Four films) - I'd much rather see 1 superhero film every 2 years or so which really stands out (like The Dark Knight), than 15 films per year which are all "been here, done that" affairs - but that's just me.

Finished here. It's been fun.
It's not going to die anytime soon, but I have a feeling that by 2019 or so people will begin to grow really tired of it. I think by 2025 the genre will be completely dead.

It's not going to die anytime soon, but I have a feeling that by 2019 or so people will begin to grow really tired of it. I think by 2025 the genre will be completely dead.
They're won't be anything left to reboot by then. Unless they actually start creating their new 'superheroes' instead of rebooting every one in existence I think people will grow weary.

Maybe create a "Birdman" spinoff featuring Michael Keaton's superhero in an actual film (it'd have to be action comedy though).

Just for comparison's sake:

There have been 23 Marvel and DC superhero films since the year 2000...

...while there have been 23 James Bond films... since 1963

Speaking of which, I'm suprised that DC waited until this late in the game to try to 'catch up'.

In my opinion they are trying to do too much too fast. Marvel spent years developing their characters before The Avengers made it a legit Universe. Warner Brothers is going in too hard and strong.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I wouldn't hold my breath. The comic genre is just starting in the sense that they are finally able to do them justice.

There are decades and decades of material and loyalties that have been built upon. Not only that, these are basically sci-fi movies. Plus, think of the install base that is being groomed. Kids nowadays have a multitude of comic entertainment options.

I just don't see it happening. It's just like Star Wars in my eyes.

I wouldn't hold my breath. The comic genre is just starting in the sense that they are finally able to do them justice.

There are decades and decades of material and loyalties that have been built upon. Not only that, these are basically sci-fi movies. Plus, think of the install base that is being groomed. Kids nowadays have a multitude of comic entertainment options.

I just don't see it happening. It's just like Star Wars in my eyes.
Star Wars didn't make 23 films in just 15 years though.

I used the James Bond series as an analogy - since they made 23 films, but that's since 1962 rather than 2000.

I really have a feeling that if they had started making 1 or 2 James Bond films every year that the series would've died long ago. Too much of anything and you get burnt out on it.

Plus with exception of Batman, Superman, and a few of the other very well-known heroes - comics today are a niche genre (I think the advent of "Saturday Morning Cartoons" for kids is what pushed them out of the mainstream) - I mean I'd never even heard of "Ant-Man" until the film was announced, for example.

I've been wondering the same thing, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon. It's probably the most appealing type of film for the average moviegoer... people go to the movies to be entertained and get away from the mundane stuff. And with the huge fan base there will probably be demand for a long time so obviously studios will have incentive to make more superhero movies and make sure the hype stays at a certain level. Their business model is based on these tentpoles that they need to turn a profit and also cover the losses incurred from the other movies.

I think that as long as they keep making superhero movies based on good material with a sexy cast and they market it the way that they do, people will go and see them... 'if you build it, he will come' lol

I've been wondering the same thing, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon. It's probably the most appealing type of film for the average moviegoer... people go to the movies to be entertained and get away from the mundane stuff. And with the huge fan base there will probably be demand for a long time so obviously studios will have incentive to make more superhero movies and make sure the hype stays at a certain level. Their business model is based on these tentpoles that they need to turn a profit and also cover the losses incurred from the other movies.

I think that as long as they keep making superhero movies based on good material with a sexy cast and they market it the way that they do, people will go and see them... 'if you build it, he will come' lol
Since you mention the fanbase - I'd be inclined to think that the films would appeal more to the casual filmgoer than the die-hard comic book fans anyway - since the films try to cram years' worth of comic book material into a 2 hour slot.

As it stands right now, it looks to be going years and years ahead. I can't see it die any time soon. There is still plenty of heroes and villains left out there not to mention the possibility of just rebooting everything all the time as well.

As it stands right now, it looks to be going years and years ahead. I can't see it die any time soon. There is still plenty of heroes and villains left out there not to mention the possibility of just rebooting everything all the time as well.
Can't wait for that 4th Spiderman reboot (starring Nick Jonas) - one year after the upcoming Avengers tie-in

Rumor also has it that Disney's planning an entire new MCU reboot after 2019 - starting with 3 new Iron Man films - Michael Keaton's being considered for the role The 5th Spiderman reboot (starring Justin Bieber) will follow immediately after the new Iron Man trilogy in 2023.

Well this is an easy answer. When studios stop making money off them.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

I'm also leaning on the Marvel films dying down in popularity if Robert Downey Jr. ever leaves - IMO he's basically what 'makes' the films in terms of acting talent (he's also the one who got the entire series started off with Iron Man) - if he bows out then the popularity may dwindle since none of the other lead actors stand out particularly.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
I don't think it will ever die. It may slow down but they will always be there. They will just reboot everything again for the new generation.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

I hope it never dies. Marvel is putting out terrific supehero flicks. Can't wait to see more...

I hope it never dies. Marvel is putting out terrific supehero flicks. Can't wait to see more...
Well they're better than a lot of Marvel films which came before it - IMO the Dark Knight Saga is the one superhero film series which stood out the most- and that one was a planned trilogy.

When they turn it into a 'machine' which cranks out a new movie or 2 every year, there's only so much time it has before it 'jumps the shark'.