Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Tools    

I say NO to the whole idea of the film.
Same here. I'm not a fan of late sequels, especially ones about 20 years too late.

Been looking over the interweb for the past few months, and the news was... it was on... then it was off... then on again with new writers... then off again...

... more news resurfaced over the past few weeks that it was back on again with new writers.

So bumping this thread with an up to date rumour control... here are the, er, 'facts'...

Here's what I've found so far from the past 3 weeks or so... http://screenrant.com/ghostbusters-3...-sandy-184239/ ...

... and http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Ghost...ime-31802.html

This news is 6 days old... http://screenrant.com/ghostbusters-3...l-straczynski/

Still all rumours and hype... mainly unfounded and there's still a thorne in the project's side that is Bill Murray.
Still though, having no news for months then some news appears over the space of a couple of weeks is interesting enough.

Look -- I'm usually against sequels that feature all new people when the original people could easily return, but in the case of Ghostbusters 3, THEY NEED ALL NEW PEOPLE TO PLAY THE GHOSTBUSTERS.

Dan Aykroyd has weird visions of the old Ghostbusters coming back PRACTICALLY CRIPPLED. He has said this -- he wants Egon to be fat and unable to carry the proton packs, he wants himself to have a bad back and be deaf or blind in one eye/ear, I forget -- it's a real mess what he envisions for this sequel. And Bill Murray will NEVER do it.

If they don't just do this movie without the old gang in it at all and just make a movie with totally new people --- like what all other franchises are doing! --- Ghostbusters 3 will never happen. Dan Aykroyd will be dead for fifty years someday and he'll be bothering every psychic around with, "WE'RE STILL GOING TO DO GHOSTBUSTERS 3!! IT'S STILL ON! WE'RE WORKING ON A SCRIPT! WE'RE GONNA BE THE GHOSTS NOW! I'M GOING DOWN INTO HELL TOMORROW TO ASK BILL MURRAY IF HE WANTS TO DO IT AND IF SATAN IS NICE, HE'LL LET HIM OUT FOR A MONTH'S WORTH OF SHOOTING." Then Bill will get the script and it won't even be good enough to convince him to leave Hell.

They just need to do it with all new people as the Ghostbusters and forget about the old crew -- or if Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis are so into it, as well as Ernie Hudson, THEY DON'T NEED BILL MURRAY. Ever hear of a thing called death? Well, his character could be dead. Sigourney Weaver's Dana character could have lost her mind and shot herself as well as Venkman and that baby she had in Ghostbusters 2. Very entertaining.

Smells mystical, doesn't it?
The only way I'd be interested in this at all would be if they had the old cast. I see no point in remaking the film with a new cast, I mean, there's a lot of sentimental feelings over the original guys.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Should NOT be made at all. I loved the first one, liked the second one, but from EVERYTHING I've heard, the third could well be crap. A new cast could be a fairly decent idea, with maybe cameos by the original cast, but not Dan Aykroyd's awful "Old, decrepit" ghostbusters idea...

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Should NOT be made at all. I loved the first one, liked the second one, but from EVERYTHING I've heard, the third could well be crap. A new cast could be a fairly decent idea, with maybe cameos by the original cast, but not Dan Aykroyd's awful "Old, decrepit" ghostbusters idea...
agreed.

Dan Ackroyd should have learned his lesson after the abomination that was the blues brothers 2000.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
agreed.

Dan Ackroyd should have learned his lesson after the abomination that was the blues brothers 2000.
I enjoyed Blues Brothers 2000. It's got fantastic music, and it's much better than people give it credit for.

I still haven't seen The Blues Brothers, but I remember going to see Blues Brothers 2000 at the movies when it came out. I remember Erykah Badu.

I can't believe Bill Murray would sign off on this, given his history of sequel hatred.

More news in...

Ghostbusters 3 storyline script has been officially passed as good... writing of the screenplay is commencing and...

... Bill Murray is officially out.
Dan Ackroyd has basically said it's sad he's not onboard, but the franchise doesn't need him anymore, especially with the direction that they're taking the franchise in anyway.

Word is, they're going back to the roots as much as possible, to capture the more adult feel of the original film rather than the child friendly abomination that was Ghostbusters 2.

Filming dates (and all that technical stuff) is still to be confirmed... but the new cast will have at least four new Ghostbusters alongside Ray and Egon and possibly Winston too... one of the new Ghostbusters is said to be female and one of them is possibly going to be a grown up Oscar Barrett (Dana Barrett's baby in the second movie).

"It's happening... it's really happening"

I quite liked 2. It was the one I saw first as a kid. The original is still the best but 2 shouldn't get the **** it does sometimes.
I totally agree. I loved the second and still laugh when Venkman (Murray) does his photo session with the Vigo painting. Not as good as the first, but not baf either.

More stuff has come out of the woodwork over the past few weeks...

... Bill Murray may not be out after all, it's been rumoured he is having 'something' to do with production.
Ackroyd has also said that filming has been pencilled in as starting in 2013 but the script has been going through more rewrites.

However, the rewrites may add more controversy to the already mounting speculations...

... if the rewrites work out in a certain way, they may just remake the original using the same characters and different actors.

Rietman has also has been quoted as saying it should be remade with a fresh cast playing Ray, Peter, Egon and Winston.
He's also been quoted as saying he wouldn't mind being director of the remake if it happens.

So, there's a few crossovers for the future of busting ghosts... Ghostbusters 3 may end up simply named Ghostbusters if the rewrites point in that direction.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=35941

More news in... Ackroyd has said the current script is good and hopes they go through with it. There's scope there apparently for a series of movies too... one of his ideas is also to star in the new movie, make the handover to a new bunch of actors, then stay on as a Producer and Writer for the future projects instead of acting in them.

Probably still more hokum and non-action though... I think everyone is getting tired of the build up with little to no outcome.

I read an article that looked official this week -- it's not, apparently -- that said Bill Murray had called Harold Ramis around 3 A.M. one night and said, "OK. I'm in. I'll do the movie." It also said Rick Moranis was coming out of acting retirement to do the movie as well. I thought it was beautiful. I felt moved.

Then it turns out it wasn't true. That was very disappointing.

I really hope they do make the movie. I like Ghostbusters 2 -- I've always thought it was odd that people didn't like that film. I think now would be a great time to do a new Ghostbusters movie. There are rumors about having Seth Rogen play a new Ghostbuster for the new generation and I think that would be PERFECT. He is absolutely the right guy for such a part. Anyway, Dan Aykroyd's definitely been too overly excited for Ghostbusters 3, but he's not wrong for thinking the movie needs to be made. It's absolutely something that deserves to come back at least one more time. There is great power with the whole Ghostbusters franchise. If they made more movies and they sucked, then I'd say, yeah, it's over. I would be able to tell when it died. But according to my observation, which is deadly accurate, Ghostbusters is prime.

I hope Rogen isn't involved... what is it these days with comedy films?

Hollywood seems to think that if there isn't an ensemble collaberation with Seth Rogen, Ben Stiller, Steve Carell, Bill Hader, Will Ferrell, Jonah Hill and Jason Bateman... it isn't worth making.

You don't need any of those guys to make a funny movie, let alone a Ghostbusters movie.

I hope Rogen isn't involved... what is it these days with comedy films?

Hollywood seems to think that if there isn't an ensemble collaberation with Seth Rogen, Ben Stiller, Steve Carell, Bill Hader, Will Ferrell, Jonah Hill and Jason Bateman... it isn't worth making.

You don't need any of those guys to make a funny movie, let alone a Ghostbusters movie.
Well, look: I understand exactly what you're saying. I really do.

However, I personally do love Seth Rogen -- and Jonah Hill -- but I don't want Jonah Hill in Ghostbusters 3. Nor do I wanna see Aziz Ansari, really, for Ghostbusters 3 - he's been speculated as being a possible new actor - although he might be okay.

I can automatically see Seth Rogen, though, as a Ghostbuster. You're not gay, yet, Rodent. You don't understand men and how they work and how they fit in the big puzzle. Seth Rogen has the right charm and charisma and soul for what the Ghostbusters reboot needs. He would be the big new star. I think the guy is phenomenal -- the best of the trendy comedy film actors that you're talking about. This is a big reason why I can see Ghostbusters 3 needing to come out now -- because if they got Seth, the key element would be there -- the element that would make everything come together successfully. He's absolutely the right person. I know it intuitively. I feel the vibrations.

Hope at least the most of the actor will return.The films and the cartoons were great,so I hope the third movie will be good enough too

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/dan-ay...ilming-in-2014

Aykroyd has announced a little while ago that 2014 is a possible start date for filming.

Seeing as this season, Spring 2013, was pencilled in as the filming start date it all seems like more talk and no action.
Apparently it's all down to an exciting script that's being developed.

I wonder if that's the same exciting script that he's been raving about for the past 15 years?

This is all getting a bit boring now.

It needs to just go the full remake/reboot route and have NONE of the original cast back, if they seriously want to do it.

I think Ghostbusters is too corny for people now, though. A bunch of men in suits and backpacks that suck up ghosts running around buildings chasing after green, slimy ghouls that pig out on food? That doesn't sound that cool to me. Replace the men with a bunch of young Asian women all going, "Ewwwww! Ewwwwww! Ewwwwwww!" whenever they see ghosts and have to zap them -- make it an anime, and a new Ghostbusters story would work.