The 77th Annual Golden Globe Awards

Tools    

Omg Tom Hanks. Stfu.

ETA: I didn't make this thread. Gideon58 did, but I made some Globes related shouts prior to the creation of this thread and the Shoutbox Tyrant moved them in here, thus incorrectly making me the thread starter.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
Omg Tom Hanks. Stfu.
Still nowhere near as insufferable as Gervais.
True.

Did it seem like all the winners were seated near the back of the theater so we had to wait 20 minutes for them to get to the stage? And I hate to nitpick, but host Ricky Gervais couldn't put on a tie? Loved when he said the license plate on his limo was made by Felicity Huffman. Made me crazy when they bleeped out the punchline of his joke about Judi Dench. He made it clear that this was the last time he would be hosting this show, but I seriously doubt that. As for the specifics:

BEST DRESSED: Nicole Kidman, Billy Porter, Ryan Seacrest, Renee Zellweger, Scarlett Johannson, Reese Witherspoon, Sofia Vergara, Kerry Washington, Pierce Brosnan, Sasha Baron Cohen, Leonardo DiCaprio, Olivia Coleman, Charlize Theron, Beyoncé, Helen Mirren, Cate Blanchett, Kirsten Dunst, Naomi Watts

WORST DRESSED: Jodie Cormer, Annette Bening, Amy Poehler (who always makes this list), Taylor Swift, Gwyneth Paltrow, Zoe Kravitz, Patricia Arquette, Laura Dern, Nick Jonas, Jennifer Lopez (way over the top), Awkwafina

MOST SUPRISING WINS: Ronnie Usef for Ronnie? Who the hell is Ronnie Usef? Over Michael Douglas and Bill Hader? Seriously?; Laura Dern's win for Marriage Story...great performance but didn't see her win coming, Brad Pitt's win for Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood, which I also didn't see coming.

FAVORITE "Awwwww" moments: The standing ovation for Elton John; Ellen DeGeneres' tribute to Carol Burnett, Elton John and Bernie Taupin winning their first award together for Best Original Song; Tom Hanks Cecille B. DeMille speech which actually made me tear up

BEST ACCEPTANCE SPEECHES: Stellan Skarsgaard, Ellen DeGeneres, Quentin Tarantino, Elton John. Michelle Williams, Brad Pitt, Awkwafina, Taron Egerton, Joaquin Phoenix

BIGGEST WASTE OF SCREENTIME: Waiting for 20 people to come onstage to accept an award even though only one of the 20 people is going to speak.

BEST PRESENTER: Kate McKinnon

BIGGEST SNUB: Todd Phillips losing Best Director to Sam Mendes; Joe Pesci losing to Brad Pitt

MOST ANNOYING PRESENTING DUO: Tiffany Haddish and Selma Hayek

FAVORITE WIN: Taron Egerton for Rocketman. Early in the award season, I so wanted him to win this award and didn't think he had a chance in hell...whoo hoo!!! Have to include Renee Zellweger for Judy here too.

Originally Posted by mattiasflgrtll6
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
Omg Tom Hanks. Stfu.
What has Tom Hanks done?
Way too long acceptance speech.

Tarantino and Pitt winning for Screenplay and Supporting Actor were highlights so far.

Hanks' speech was inspiring. I liked how he talked strictly about the movie industry and his love of the craft. The most beloved and most respected actor of our time.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Mendes over Scorsese and Tarantino? Wow!

Taron Edgerton over Eddie Murphy? Come on!

Didn’t really care for Awkwafina winning.

Once Upon a Time winning for Best Comedy. Yes!!!

13 of my guesses were correct.

Why did Toy Story 4 lose to Missing Link? Just, why?

Welcome to the human race...
Did it seem like all the winners were seated near the back of the theater so we had to wait 20 minutes for them to get to the stage? And I hate to nitpick, but host Ricky Gervais couldn't put on a tie? Loved when he said the license plate on his limo was made by Felicity Huffman. Made me crazy when they bleeped out the punchline of his joke about Judi Dench. He made it clear that this was the last time he would be hosting this show, but I seriously doubt that. As for the specifics:
It wasn't bleeped out for me and it still wasn't funny. Seriously hope this is the last time he does it - Sacha Baron Cohen did better with his thirty seconds of presenting than Gervais did the whole time.

MOST SUPRISING WINS: Ronnie Usef for Ronnie? Who the hell is Ronnie Usef? Over Michael Douglas and Bill Hader? Seriously?; Laura Dern's win for Marriage Story...great performance but didn't see her win coming, Brad Pitt's win for Once Upon a Time...in America, which I also didn't see coming.
Ramy Youssef. You don't know, he could be that good (for all I know too, it's not like I watched any of the nominated shows). Also it's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, not America.

BIGGEST SNUB: Todd Phillips losing Best Director to Sam Mendes; Joe Pesci losing to Brad Pitt
The former is a good argument for a "Best Snub" category (especially since I've actually seen 1917 and can confirm that it is the business, at least compared to Joker).

Irishman didn’t win for ANYTHING?!

Sadly, Hollywood & the major awards are still snobs about anything coming from Netflix.

Why did Toy Story 4 lose to Missing Link? Just, why?
Probably because it was the only original film nominated in that category. Haven't seen it myself, but I also haven't cared for anything I've seen from Laika.

Legend in my own mind
Gervais simply doesn't care

Not really a fan of his, but I do enjoy him at the Golden globes.

Welcome to the human race...
Originally Posted by JoaoRodrigues
He's the kind of nu-atheist chucklehead who thinks that telling religious people God isn't real is the height of comedy - and that's his best quality.