Mulholland Drive

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
That's true I suppose. Boy, have times changed. If we say that about Inland Empire in 25 years... Forget it, I'll be dead.

A system of cells interlinked
A couple of months ago I finally sat down and watched Mulholland Drive. This is a movie I had heard critics and fans rave about for a long time. I have to say I don't get the hype. I was never engaged in the story. I thought the acting was awful. The visuals were not particularly intriguing. By the time the movie got to the twist (which I had no prior knowledge of), I could have cared less. I definitely don't always love the films that everyone else loves, but I can usually appreciate what people see in them. So I genuinely want to know, what does everyone like about this film? Thanks in advance for the input.
Huzzuh???

Watts' performance is brilliant, and she considers it her best performance she has ever done. There are some characters that were directed to be campy (and Watts does some camp early), but there is also some excellent acting work in the film. The visuals are incredibly well done. Sorry, not sure what film you watched! The score is also brilliant.

From RT: "Mulholland Drive makes little sense, even for a Lynch film, but its dreamlike imagery is mesmerizing, and Watts delivers a great performance."

I disagree with the former part of the sentence, in that MD definitely can make sense if you do a little work as a viewer.

Each, to his own. Alas, If you couldn't see any artistic value in Mulholland Drive, Lynch is certainly not for you. *Shrugs*

(rambling ahead)...

While there are things to figure out in IE and MD, (to some extent), I also think the immediate sense of messiness and ambiguity is strangely very meaningful in itself. It's not for lack of skill; It's not a fault at all. They don't so much actively defy understanding as bewitch the viewer into being more of a participant. They invite you in with fluidity, suggestiveness, implication... they feel organic and alive; especially Mulholland's emotional currents which remain as strong as ever for me, and although I have a particular way of framing MD that makes sense to me, I still somehow feel the possibility of that frame changing each time I watch.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
It's one of the greatest observations and depictions into the grim, bleak, often realistic nature of showbusiness. The film is a tragically heartbreaking depiction of the real world vs. the fabricated, superficial, bright, beautiful world that we want to exist but won't.

The film is very thematically similar to David Lynch's Lost Highway. It's basically about escaping harsh reality and indulging in a fantasy.

Add to the fact that Lynch is a God when it comes to depicting the uncanny, the eerie, the surreal. He has this adept ability to just establish that sensation of a dream. It's indescribable, really.

If any of you are interested (which I doubt you are), I wrote an essay on the film last year as part of an assignment.

Mulholland Drive is a 2001 critically acclaimed film directed by David Lynch. Classifying what genre it belongs to is demanding; the film is one of David Lynch which means it'll be ambiguous in its thematic nature and stylistically bizarre; audiences would come to expect that they'll be no clear answer or coherency in its narrative, and that analysing all facets is vital when it comes to understanding the picture. Mulholland Drive sports an extremely complex narrative; be symbolic in its visual depiction by communicating to the audiences the emotional state of its character and the progression of its narrative; using costuming, props and setting as a device to strengthen the caliber of the film; adopt a symbolic use of lighting/shadowing; communicate abstractions and narrative through its cinematography; impact the narrative and the direction of the film through techniques of editing; and also being instrumental in sound design and how that adds to the overall merit of the film. One of the films' pivotal sequences is the “dream” world of Betty and Rita – in this sequence, Betty is out to help Rita find her identity (I,e., who she is, what truly happened, and why she can't remember her name). The two embark on an adventure which leads to an intimate, engaging relationship, and also further represents the idea that this world is a figment of Diane's imagination.

This sequence here is pivotal in regards to telling the “story” to its audiences. In the film, we're only strictly introduced to these characters (i.e., Betty, the successful, ambition actresses hoping for stardom in Hollywood, and, Rita, the bewildered lady who has seemed to be involved in an accident). Later on, we become aware that these events are merely distortions of Diane's imagination, but this sequence of finding Rita's identity and seeing Betty successfully prevail her film audition progresses the narrative and tells its audiences what type of world these characters inhabit; this sequence proves crucial to the development of the narrative later on in the film.

In addition, the sequence contributes a great deal of character development – initially, Betty is clearly depicted as a determined, youthful (albeit naďve) actress, but as the sequence develops, we learn that she is someone who becomes obsessed with finding Rita's identity (moreso than pursuing her career), and that her determination to help Rita involves into an intimate relationship. Rita, who is initially depicted as introverted, becomes infatuated with Betty's guidance and emotional investment in helping her, that she, too, becomes devoted in their relationship.

One of the primary goals of this sequence is to position us in this mystery. Lynch deliberately plays out that ambiguity of Rita's identify like a conventional detective mystery (i.e., finding clues, reading the papers, breaking into apartments), and the reason why he elects to adopt this style is for his viewers to have emotional investment in what is happening; to be sympathetic with these characters, and have a strong, impressive view of Betty (the protagonist of the film), due to her control and supervision. Lynch decides to go down this route for us to think highly of Betty (the beautiful, optimistic 'actress'), and become sympathetically engrossed in her actions. Later on in the film, when we see the first depiction of Diane (the exact opposite character in nature than Betty), we become startled and bewildered because after seeing such a solicitous depiction of Betty in the said segment.

This sequence also contributes to the films' thematic nature. In this sequence, we're presented with a bright, superficial world (the photography is deliberately soap-operish), and a faithful, naďve actress hoping to pursue success in a competitive, riveting industry. As we learn, Betty is merely a figment of Diane's imagination (and Diane is depicted as a vulnerable, isolated 'no-hoper'), so this sequence strengthens the argument Lynch is conveying – that, Hollywood and the film industry is a dark, pessimistic environment, where failure is more occurring than success, and that the only way to have hopes, ambitions and desire is through your dreams; reality is disheartening. In regards to this sequence, it depicts the “made-up” world where you can be the talented, number one actress you so desire, and the indivisual who has control and intimacy with her lover (in this case, Rita).

David Lynch elects to pursue many different techniques to help emphasise the themes, characters, narrative and overall atmospheric nature of the film. The casting of Naomi Watts as the naďve, ambitious actress was heavily deliberate – she has a real authentic look, but also someone that can pull off an innocent and encouraging character extremely well. In addition to that, the severity of lighting is paramount to the film – take note in the scenes where Betty arrives out of the cab or sees her Aunty's apartment for the very first time; the lighting is deliberately bright and glossy, which perfectly conjures with Lynch's arguments (that the dream world is where your hopes come true; and associating lustrous colours with it symbolises aspiration). Furthermore, the lighting adds a surrealistic atmosphere to the scenes shot at night; in the film, there is one shot when Betty and Diane catch a taxi of a lit-up LA main street, and all of these lamp poles and other sources of 'light' have a lens flair effect to it – this helps the film, atmospherically, and gives it an eerie feeling.

Additionally, the way Lynch guides his actors is significant – Betty is depicted as a well-mannered, almost overly-excited woman. This is evident where she enters her Aunty's apartment, by herself, and begins to energetically set up her room by placing her clothes in the draw and cupboards; the facial expressions of Betty and the excessive hearings of gratification really add to the themes Lynch is addressing. Lynch wants this world these characters inhabit to be as shallow as possible (hence the glazing photography and hyperbolic use of mannerism) – because when it comes to depicting the contrast of this world to reality, the visual display has to be conflicting in almost all areas. A very subtle implementation from Lynch is dressing Watts in the way that perfectly integrates with her character. She dresses in this dazzling pink top in many scenes (which can be seen as very feminine), and in other scenes, in an extremely professional manner. The way she dresses can be seen as a reflection of her optimism in the acting industry – it speaks volumes about the character and her goals. All of these facets which seamlessly combine create mis en scene – and these aspects (lighting, costuming, acting) tell a story. It speaks about the characters, the atmosphere, and also progresses the narrative itself.

The photography in Mulholland Drive is crucial in conveying its themes and narrative. The cinematography in the sequence is deliberately saturated in vibrant, glorified colours. Lynch elected to do this to again, emphasise the dreamlike nature these characters are inhabiting. The ideal goal of this sequence was to stylistically establish a technique that would be effective to contrast when Diane 'wakes-up'. It also adds to the subjects of dreams vs. reality in the film which are significant. The effect of this decision was for the saturated, sentimentalised look to conjure with the characters' motives and beliefs (i.e., Betty being optimistic about her new career in acting), the fact that when the film is at its most vibrant and soft, it is Diane's 'dream' character (i.e., Betty; an indivisual who succeeds in areas that Diane failed in; the intimate relationship with Rita, scoring the main role in an upcoming film, prevailing brilliantly in her audition), and when the film is at its most rough and stylistically unappealing, we're in reality with Diane. Lynch gives this world a subtle 'dream' distinction – it can all be confused as reality (since it is not overly-surrealistic or outlandish), but at the same time, has visuals that suggest otherwise.

The editing speaks volumes on the relationship of Betty and Rita. As the two become more intimate in their relationship and more evoked in the mystery of finding Rita's true identity, the general pattern of editing becomes more intimate – we begin to see more shots of the two in the same frame (instead of two different shots of the two being the only sole focus of a shot). Lynch elects to do this in the shooting phase, yes, but wants to display that through the editing – he uses editing as a “device” to visually and thematically represent the current state of the story and its characters. Notice the first scene where Betty sees Rita; the editing demonstrates this distance from these characters, but as the sequence develops, and Betty becomes more invested in helping Rita, the editing begins to show these two characters in a more closer nature, conveying their emotional state towards each other and also further strengthens the thematic ideas that in Diane's “dream”, she is with Rita, and she is the 'lead actress' (i.e., the famous Club Silenco scene depicting Betty and Rita extremely closely together, becoming emotionally in awe in the singing performance). Ultimately, the editing in this film does an extremely solid job in communicating the importance and progression of the emotional state of both Betty and Rita. Had the editing not had a progression or sport a contrast (i.e., not depict Rita and Betty in one way and then in another), the ideas Lynch wanted to communicate to us wouldn't have been sufficient or effective in their delivery, by exposing the development in the characters and thematic issues it conveys.

Lynch uses sound effectively in Mullholand Drive. The use of non-digetic sound plays crucial to the overall core of the sequence. One notable scene when musical score plays a significant rule is when Betty and Rita physically express their affection for one another – the score in this scene helps the scene immensely, primarily because it has such a sentimental, melancholy feel which contributes to the main subject Lynch is conveying to the audiences. This scene wasn't exploitive in nature, but very affectionate, and this score supports that (Betty's love for Rita wasn't superficial, or one that was based off jealously/revenge; it was real and beautiful, but the only way Betty/Diane can experience this importance in their relationship is through dreams). Additionally, the film sports subtle, surrealistic sound effects that are vital to the atmosphere of the film (the scene where Betty and Rita enter the theatre at night,: the camera zooms up spontaneously towards the two entering the theatre and there is a sound effect that creates a somewhat nauseastic, eerie feeling). Lynch elects to use musical score to its potential in the film – when he wants to emphasise the importance of character relation, he uses profound, affectionate music; when he wants his audiences' to feel somewhat bewildered in nature, he adopts subtle sound effects; when he wants to convey the naďve nature of the protagonist, Betty, he hyperbolises the mannerism and tone of the character. All of these small facets ultimately combine together to create an effective experience, but most importantly, positioning the audiences into thinking a certain way (in this case, Betty; being depicted as a beautiful albeit inexperienced actress).

Ultimately, Mulholland Drive manages to combine all the important facets in film to create a daring and challenging piece of ambitious cinema. Even though a lot of it is subtle and subdued on a grander scale, without the importance of costume designs, appropriate casting, symbolic use of lighting/shadowing, photography, editing manipulation and overall direction, the film would be completely different in nature. When making a film, a director wants to convey something; whether it be an argument, a critique, a debate, or an endorsement, and if you want to have the liberty to do this, you need to adopt, exercise and work around all of these facets. Without them, film wouldn't be such a powerful medium that has implemented this huge, instrumental impact across our society.

Weird movie for me. I thought it was great, although not quite one of my favorites. The strange thing is, about halfway through the movie, I felt like something was bothering me in my life and I couldn't figure out what it was. I put the DVD on pause for a couple minutes until I realized it was what was going on in the movie. It really did have an odd, dream-like effect on me.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Usually the more I think about some films, the less I like them. But with this one the more I think about it the more I love it lol. After the intial viewing i was like it was okay. Like a 7/10. Now I think it's a 9/10 honestly.

Usually the more I think about some films, the less I like them. But with this one the more I think about it the more I love it lol. After the intial viewing i was like it was okay. Like a 7/10. Now I think it's a 9/10 honestly.
Yeah, it needed time to sink in the first time I watched it too.

Blue Velvet is awesome. I dont know if it's just me but after watching a Lynch film I'm usually like it's okay. Like in the 6.5-7.5 range. But after letting the film digest and sink in, I always rate them higher for whatever reason. I really like his movies but Im not sure on whether or not I should check out Inland Empire. It's 3 hours and there's no plot or coherency to speak off. Heard each day he randomly added something to the plot not even caring that if it would make sense or not.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Blue Velvet is awesome. I dont know if it's just me but after watching a Lynch film I'm usually like it's okay. Like in the 6.5-7.5 range. But after letting the film digest and sink in, I always rate them higher for whatever reason. I really like his movies but Im not sure on whether or not I should check out Inland Empire. It's 3 hours and there's no plot or coherency to speak off. Heard each day he randomly added something to the plot not even caring that if it would make sense or not.
Inland Empire is basically the inside of David Lynch's head. If that interests you at all, try it out. I think approximately the first and last 30 minutes are some of the most sublime cinema Lynch has created. It might be his most polarizing film.

Thanks for the response. I'll check it out one day when I'm ready for some surreal craziness. It looks fairly good and creepy i must say. Is this the last film he's ever going to make?

Thanks for the response. I'll check it out one day when I'm ready for some surreal craziness. It looks fairly good and creepy i must say. Is this the last film he's ever going to make?
To literally answer your question, it was done on digital (and a very low quality camera too) and Lynch has been quoted as saying that he is done with film. This, however, was not meant to be interpreted as the medium, but rather the format, he'll work in digital from now on. But to actually answer your question, it could be, or it couldn't. It all depends, to put it in Lynchian speak, on if he catches a big enough fish.

Inland Empire is probably the most radical, polarising, inaccessible, experimental, avant-garde film of the last 25 years.

Inland Empire is probably the most radical, polarising, inaccessible, experimental, avant-garde film of the last 25 years.
And the great thing about it is that due to the success of Mulholland Dr.. a lot more people saw it than would normally happen. That'd be an interesting discussion of films. The most polarizing, experimental films I can recall, in the past decade or so, something like Dogville, Post Tenebras Lux, all films by Apichatpong Weerasethakul.

I know this thread hasn't been visited for a while but I would like to discuss this movie. I don't quite get it, and I don't want to read too many analyses of it because I want to form my own opinion. So I'm sorry if I state something that's allready been said about the movie, because I haven't read much of what's been posted here. These are just my opinions on what I thought it meant. Not some movie reviewer or someone who analyzes movies.
Fire walk with me.

Well I won't give you an analysis, but I will say this. Mulholland Drive is toward the edge of the spectrum of being David Lynch's most surreal films. Among his Lynch-iest of films if you will. Only surpasses by movies like Eraserhead and Inland Empire, and in the same vein as Lost Highway. These are films you will not understand the first time around. Let whatever you thought about it swirl around in your brain for a while. Then sometime down the road, try watching it again. Hopefully more pieces will fall into place. Repeat as needed or desired until you start to form your own conclusion.