Westerns Movie Log Journal & Recommendations

→ in
Tools    

Rough Night in Jericho (1967)

A fun diversion for the evening movie watch. Nothing too special here and this seemed more like a good made for TV movie. But as the film doesn't try to be anything more than meets the eye, and as the actors seem to be having lots of fun...it works. In fact it's the actors' larger than life performances that made this an entertaining little film.

Dean Martin is the baddie here. He's a corrupt business man who owns 51% share of the town, so that he gets the 'final say'. Backing him up is a dozen or so 'paid' deputies, who carry out justice by lynching whoever gets in Martin's way. And yet he's still somewhat likeable as he's Dean Martin!

Then there's grinning George Peppard who seems like a 1960's version of Hans Solo. Peppard for all his hamming at the camera, works as it's that kind of film and he's colorful enough to make a go of it.

Rounding out the cast is the talented Jean Simmons. She has a really cute drunk scene. Then there's the western staple Slim Pickens. This time Slim is gone bad and has dyed dark hair so that we know he's bad. Slim has a TV-fun type knock-em down fight with George Peppard, that's a blast.

If you're looking for a 'light' western, heavy on the fun, but not a comedy..then Rough Night in Jericho might be in your cards.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	jericho2.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	59378  

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Thanks GBG...I've made that mistake and watched the same title but wrong year before But in this case I've seen Winchester '73 (1950) and intend to rewatch before the countdown. I find it a fun & exciting movie and it has one of my favorite character actors, Dan Duryea in it.

Dan Duryea is in both versions of Winchester '73.

For me The Searchers has been a bit of an acquired taste. I've been watching westerns and John Wayne films all my life, but when I saw it the first few times about 10 years ago I wasn't much impressed. Part of that likely had to do with the film's glowing reputation, and not coming up to my initial expectations. It's got a different kind of character about it than a typical John Ford western, which can be quite off putting at first. A lot of the acting from various players make it quite surreal in parts.

But the last couple of times I've seen it I've just learnt to go with it and now I really enjoy it. I've found a lot of depth of feeling in the story and appreciate the photography as some of the best I've seen in a western.

A great doco I really recommend is A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies. A lot of good analysis of this film and many others like it.
I enjoyed reading your comments. The Searchers is a unique Ford/Wayne western. The plot is minimal, which provides plenty of opportunities to be drawn into the character development, the interaction between the characters, and the phenomenal photography. In fact after re-watching it several years ago, I was compelled to make a trip to Monument Valley. What an awesome area of AZ/UT! One could actually watch the film with the sound off, and still be impressed.

But Wayne's portrayal of Ethan Edwards was one of his crowning achievements as an actor. Ward Bond also turned in a wonderful performance.

The entire production must have been a determined effort of respect and admiration. Harry Carey had died 8 or 9 years before, and both his widow and son were in the picture. Who can forget Wayne's touching homage to Carey when in the final scene we see him framed in a doorway from the rear, clutching his right elbow with his left hand behind his back-- just as Harry Carey used to do.

To me, the experience of The Searchers lingered on, not for the plot or the violence, but for the emotional impact and humanness that Ford and Wayne have presented.

~Doc

The trick is not minding
I know we spoke in the Western HOF regarding Rio Bravo and it’s first remake, El Dorado, but the third remake, Rio Lobo (also starring John Wayne) is free for viewing on Amazon video

I know we spoke in the Western HOF regarding Rio Bravo and it’s first remake, El Dorado, but the third remake, Rio Lobo (also starring John Wayne) is free for viewing on Amazon video
Ironically that might be hard for me to watch, I don't have Amazon streaming. But pretty sure last time I seen both El Dorado and Rio Lobo it was on DVD from my library.

The trick is not minding
Ironically that might be hard for me to watch, I don't have Amazon streaming. But pretty sure last time I seen both El Dorado and Rio Lobo it was on DVD from my library.
Amazon has an amazing selection.
There’s a Golden Globes section of films nominated for it and also a Oscar section for the same thing.
Oh, and a decent sized Western section. 😃

The Grey Fox (1982)

Suggested by Cricket

An award winning, biographical Canadian film, that's not like other westerns. The Grey Fox is an introspective, personal tale of a 'gentleman bandit' who robbed stage coaches in the 19th century and eventually was caught and set to prison for 33 years. When The Grey Fox (Richard Farnsworth) finally gets out of prison, it's the 20th century and he's now a senior citizen. The film is done in a subtle manor and mostly non violent with the emphasize on the aged outlaw trying to cope with the changing times. I liked the personal tale style of the movie and the more low key approach which fits the filming style of the movie. The filming sites were in British Columbia Canada and in my state of Washington, which I thought was cool and gave the film a much different look and feel than the typical hot, dry and dusty western.

++

Attachments

Name:	grey-fox-aff-01-g.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	59421  

Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970)

Are you tired of seeing Clint play the same scrawling western character? Well then this 1970 western that pairs him with Shirley MacLaine might just be your ticket to western-fun-dom. Oh, don't get me wrong it the opening minutes Sister Sara is almost raped by 4 bad hombres, who good ole Clint dispatches them with his trusty Colt SA revolver. In fact it is the same Clint character we've seen in the spaghetti westerns, only he's now bumped into a whiskey drinking, cigar chomping nun

I thought this was a good movie. It was a bit different and yet it still delivered what one would come to expect from a Clint Eastwood western. Filmed entirely in Mexico and the dry scrub brush lands looks great as does some of the old ruined remains of Spanish/Mexican hacienda's that they filmed in.

+

Attachments

Name:	Two+Mules+For+Sister+Sara+3.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	59478  

I also like watching European and American movies. The earliest silent movies started.

The Quick and the Dead (1995)

A whole lot better movie than you think it is! You can call this a popcorn movie if you want, but I'll call it damn good film making! Just forget the silly notion that only a man can be the tough guy gun slinger in a western. Then watch it, and pay close attention to the details, especially the scene transitions. A scene transition is where a scene is over and the director and film editor needs to get you to the next scene and do it seamlessly and with style. If Orson Welles had a chance to see The Quick and the Dead he would have been impressed with the scene transitions..and with the fluid and artistic cinematography. It's too bad people don't pay closer attention to how a film is put together, because if they did The Quick and the Dead would have a much higher rating on IMDB than it does.

This is one of the better westerns I've seen.

Attachments

Name:	Rapida-y-Mortal-Peliculas-Raras.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	59504  

I think you'll really enjoy "The Shootist". One of my favourite all time westerns.

I think you'll really enjoy "The Shootist". One of my favourite all time westerns.
Thanks I plan on watching that before the deadline to the Western Countdown is up. The more I see of John Wayne movies the more I like them.

Between this and the Western HOF, I am now in the mood to binge some westerns in the next month. I blame you, Citizen. 😜
Ha

I'm ready the second Western HoF...and I seen a couple real good westerns in the last couple of nights. I'll write them up here, latter tonight.

The trick is not minding
Between this and the Western HOF, I am now in the mood to binge some westerns in the next month. I blame you, Citizen. 😜
Ha

I'm ready the second Western HoF...and I seen a couple real good westerns in the last couple of nights. I'll write them up here, latter tonight.
I started looking at some westerns available on Amazon. Plenty of Wayne films of course, Bad Company, a few others about Sartana and Django.
Now I have to budget my time to include those.

I started looking at some westerns available on Amazon. Plenty of Wayne films of course, Bad Company, a few others about Sartana and Django.
Now I have to budget my time to include those.
There's a bunch of westerns on Youtube also.