New Feature: Seen Log

Tools    

The MoFos have spoken. I asked you guys what feature you wanted to see next, and you were surprisingly clear that you wanted a way to view/search/sort all the films you've seen, so here you go:

Seen Log

EDIT: suggestions are very, very welcome, but please make sure to read the next post to avoid suggesting things already noted. It's nice and short, and there's a really good chance it contains your suggestion, since this feature is missing a couple of things which are pretty obviously a good idea but I couldn't quite get to in time. Thank you!

Some general notes:

What I Need

First thing is: tell me if something doesn't work. That's top priority. Second thing is: tell me if something is really confusing or unintuitive. Also, it can be helpful to know the opposite: IE, if you wanted something and it was exactly where you expected it, so I know not to change it.

Functionality

Most of the things most of you are going to suggest have probably been considered and are already on the to-do list. Specifically, the ability to add new films from this page and the ability to modify rating from the overlay. I originally wanted to let people change their rating right from the log itself in the same mouseover style as the individual movie pages, but that was tricky enough that it might have delayed the release a bit, so I decided to launch without it and work on it later. Also probably going to let the Title/Poster View choice persist across visits.

Integration

I haven't decided where to link this from yet. To start, I'll just link it from the User CP, and possibly the profile (it'll definitely end up there in some form, just not sure how yet). In order to make the best decisions about how to integrate this, I need to see how people end up using this, and the site as a whole. If the site is mostly the same but people just add to this now and then, integration should be modest. If, on the other hand, people want to add films continuously and/or right away as soon as they log on, then maybe that calls for tight integration into the header to make it really quick and easy. Don't know yet!

Replace the "Forums" link, top middle, between "Reviews" and "Lists".
As at the moment there's MoFo's title at the top, MoFo's logo top left, and that Forums link in the middle as well. Basically 3 clickers that do the same thing

Replace the "Forums" link, top middle, between "Reviews" and "Lists".
As at the moment there's MoFo's title at the top, MoFo's logo top left, and that Forums link in the middle as well. Basically 3 clickers that do the same thing
Yeah, I've wondered about this for other areas. Though I'm consistently surprised at how people don't realize those are clickable. There was some user (I don't remember who, I'm not sparing their feelings or anything ) who had been here for years and one day was just like "oh wow, clicking the logo takes you to the home page!"

But it's not a great use of real estate, for the reason you mention. The bigger issues, perhaps, are a) I'm mostly out of colors and b) I'm not sure if it merits that spot. If logging films turns out to be people's first priority and their entry point into the site, then it's worthwhile. Otherwise I'd rather attach it to profiles and the bar just below the nav or something, since that space at the top is so valuable.

I've already saved is as a favourite on my toolbar anyways along with clubs and the members list

One thing I was gonna say, on the ratings on the right, I can't change my ratings from there... I can remove my rating completely on a movie, but not change it unless I go into the movie's page and do it there?
And, where it says "NO RATING", which is basically saying I've marked it as "seen" but not rated it yet (which is on quite a few movies I've marked as seen), it would be cool if I could add a rating there and then instead of having to go to each movie's page too.

One thing I was gonna say, on the ratings on the right, I can't change my ratings from there... I can remove my rating completely on a movie, but not change it unless I go into the movie's page and do it there?
Yeah, that's what I meant by this part:
I originally wanted to let people change their rating right from the log itself in the same mouseover style as the individual movie pages, but that was tricky enough that it might have delayed the release a bit, so I decided to launch without it and work on it later.
I think the script I'm using is meant to be used once per page, but I'll have to take a closer look. I decided to try it in case it wasn't hard, turned out it was hard, didn't wanna delay for another week or two while I fiddle with it. I figure ratings aren't gonna change much anyway, it'll mostly be used for films people forgot to rate. I think that'll become very rare as possible use this, though. It'll mostly be an initial thing when they first use it. Hopefully.

No worries, I only quoted myself because as I wrote it I wasn't sure it was clear what I meant, anyway, and wanted to be clearer in case anyone had the same idea.

Just did a check on stuff as well to see if I could break something...

My entry for We Need To Talk About Kevin was "unrated"... went in to the movie's page, rated it, refreshed the "Seen Log" page... and it now has that rating... so it's working fine this end

Very nice - only thing I'd mention (and you can almost certainly shoot straight down lol) is that if looking at it in 'Poster' View it would be nice if the rating was also somehow displayed on mouseover (I do know we can click on the poster to go to the individual movie page just would be more expeditious I think).

edit: I lied when I said "only thing" ..... more a question/observation - is there a specific reason page 1 only has 49 films as opposed to 50 like the other full pages?

Nice job Yoda Me like!

I haven't spent much time on the Seen Log but one thing I noticed:

How the View Changer is now, for me the symbols aren't intuitive....

How the View Changer would look with text and not symbols...
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot 1.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	49748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	49749  

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Do people click on the Box-Office link? Just wondering.

Suspect's Reviews

I've used the Seen Log and added ratings to the first couple movies, which takes me to the Individual Movie Page. It would be nice if there was a return link to the Seen Log on the Individual Movie Pages.

...and or it might be useful if we could rate the movie right on the Seen Log without the need to load the Individual Movie Pages each time. I'm trying to rate what I've seen and I can tell it will take some time.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I've used the Seen Log and added ratings to the first couple movies, which takes me to the Individual Movie Page. It would be nice if there was a return link to the Seen Log on the Individual Movie Pages.

...and or it might be useful if we could rate the movie right on the Seen Log without the need to load the Individual Movie Pages each time. I'm trying to rate what I've seen and I can tell it will take some time.
I was literally going to say these two points.

Another comment: IF this ends up being linked from/to the user profile please make it so it's personal and not accessible to all.

I'll wind me neck in now - promise

Very nice - only thing I'd mention (and you can almost certainly shoot straight down lol) is that if looking at it in 'Poster' View it would be nice if the rating was also somehow displayed on mouseover (I do know we can click on the poster to go to the individual movie page just would be more expeditious I think).
Yeah, I was wondering about this. I might be able to do that by making them smaller. I'll give it a go. The original thought was that Poster View is more for seeing your viewing at a glance, and Title View is for the details, but I can probably get some more info into the former.

edit: I lied when I said "only thing" ..... more a question/observation - is there a specific reason page 1 only has 49 films as opposed to 50 like the other full pages?
Hmmm, no. I'm seeing 50. I'll try it "as you." Best guess is you marked something seen which maybe got removed or didn't mark right, so it's counting against the entry total but not displaying.

How the View Changer would look with text and not symbols...
I'll give this a think/try. I originally used those icons when I was trying to cram all the options into one little area, but I guess it's not necessary now...though it may become necessary again as I add stuff. Text isn't as attractive or compact, but I agree it's better for actual usability, which needs to take priority. I think I read that an icon with text produces the best overall results, so I'll probably do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Another comment: IF this ends up being linked from/to the user profile please make it so it's personal and not accessible to all.

I'll wind me neck in now - promise

Don't do this, Yods. I want to see everything Chypmunk has seen and rated.
Everything.

Re: rating right from the log. Mentioned in the second post, then quoted again later! I love feedback, but please do make sure it's not already addressed in that second post, so I can avoid referring back to it over and over.

Re: total count. Yeah, I should've written that down, too. For now, you can mouseover the pagination in the top right corner.

@Chypmunk: you mean you don't want people to see your seen log, or something else? I assumed people would specifically want that out there, much like the Lists thing. I think, at most, I'd give people an option to hide it if they want, but I think it should probably be viewable by default. Let me know if you meant something else.