Movies to watch in your lifetime

Tools    

Movie Forums Extra
Stranger by the Lake is one of the amazing movie I have watched till date. This French drama-thriller film has drilled audience with many emotions towards the film

Ingmar Bergman's Persona 1966

Elizabeth (Liv Ullman) stops speaking in the middle of the play Electra and will not speak again. A psychiatrist thinks it might help if Elizabeth and her nurse, Alma, spend the summer at her isolated house. As the summer progresses the two women seem to begin to merge. Elizabeth says nothing, but Alma begins to speak for herself and for Elizabeth. Eventually the two personalities merge to form one Persona. Despite not speaking Elizabeth is the stronger of the two because she chooses to be who she is. Alma is not strong enough to be who she is, she doubts her relationship to her fiance, she doubts her ability to be a nurse, and she doubts her ability to stand up to Elizabeth.

⬆️ Great movie.

I'm on it. I saw Mad Max for the first time a couple of years ago, and my AR, completist self wouldn't let me watch Fury Road until I watch the other two. Thing is that I raraely see Road Warrior available streaming. I should just shell out the cash for the rental and get it over with.

Now that that's settled, can we talk about your plans for your horror quiz?
Of the series, Road Warrior (1981) is still the best.

The series is odd in that each one is a very different movie - not exactly definitive sequels (for instance, something extreme has happened to the world between Mad Max and Road Warrior - we go from a somewhat skewed future in Mad Max that still has aspects relatable to the time it was made to a completely dystopian future in R.W.)

Fury Road seems to be a modern remake (or "reboot") of Road Warrior (with some other minor elements of the preceding movies in the series).

Citizen Kane. One of the greatest.

Welcome to the human race...
Alright, finally getting around to finishing this...

2015 - The Devil's Candy

Though heavy metal and horror movies would appear to go together due to a shared emphasis on gnarly shocks and awesome brutality, it's weird how most attempts to combine the two tend to fall flat (with Mandy arguably being the exception). This one teases both a possessive force and a deranged serial killer as its threats but this only makes it look indecisive (and the 78-minute runtime suggests some serious cuts that push the movie more towards the latter plot than the former).

2016 - The Girl with All the Gifts

Novel enough take on the zombie movie that focuses on the scientists trying to find a cure by testing half-zombie children for antibodies. Certainly reads like a race/class metaphor with the protagonist being one such half-zombie child who feels the need to impress her superiors who run the gamut from prejudiced soldiers to opportunistic scientists to earnest supervisors.

2017 - Aftermath

Should I really keep expecting Arnold to bust out any worthwhile performances or films following his return to the movies? Maggie is maybe the most I've liked any of his recent movies so maybe he had potential when it came to doing low-key dramas, but though this touches on similar ground - a father grieving for lost loved ones - it's ultimately pretty pedestrian stuff.

2018 - Capernaum

There was an old B-movie featured on an episode of MST3K called I Accuse My Parents that begins in medias res with the juvenile delinquent protagonist in a courtroom accusing his parents (hence the title) of being so negligent that it resulted in him becoming a street-tough criminal before flashing back to tell his whole sorry story. This is like the subtitled prestige picture version of that movie, digging into the abject misery of just about everyone and not letting go for two straight hours. Uncomfortable, sure, but not exactly enlightening.

2019 - The Miseducation of Cameron Post

A simple but effective story about a teenage girl being sent to gay conversion therapy. I do wonder how much variety you can get out of stories based in such a setting - though But I'm A Cheerleader distinguishes itself by virtue of being a gaudy satire that still had heart and substance, this fares better than the monotonously morose Boy Erased by managing to find a bridge between the two tones.

2020 - Hamilton

Enough of a widely-discussed phenomenon that I don't think I can add much in the way of personal interpretation beyond copying the usual talking points and criticisms about whether it's really that subversive for people of colour to play historically white people and do a rap musical about the 18th century. Did make me think I should get back into listening to proper rap, though.

1967, Belle de Jour- Bunuel

The story of a respectable young wife who secretly works in a brothel a few days a week. She is somewhat of a masochist in that she likes to be handled roughly. Benuel believed that deep emotional programming may be more important to free will in leading us to our decisions.(Ebert) In that case Severine (Catherine Denueve) is hard wired at an early age to be a prostitute with ever so slight masochist tenancies. Supposedly one of the outstanding erotic films ever made.