Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

This third entry certainly has a more studio polished feel but the bigger budget hasn’t greatly improved things. The old school effects have now mostly been replaced with substandard computer effects and the acting is something to be desired.
I give the first 3 films praise for all being slightly different but this is now the point where my interest has diminished. This entry was OK but nothing to shout about.

If this is the same movie as Waking Ned Devine, someone recommended it to me many years ago, and he even gave it to me on a VHS tape, but I never got around to watching it. It sounds like it might be worth digging out the tape and giving it a try.
That’s the one. Waking Ned Devine is the North American title. It’s pretty great.

Red Joan (2018) ...

Watched Red Joan last night. It's a nice little gem of a picture about Britain's oldest remaining Russian collaborator, which I hadn't heard of. I've never seen Judi Dench in a bad performance, and she rises to the occasion here as well.

The movie is a little overly melodramatic in parts, but I think they were aiming for that 1930s/40s style, which they were pretty successful at. I'd like to have seen them use black and white for the flashbacks. The other-worldliness of B&W would have tempered the melodrama.

This third entry certainly has a more studio polished feel but the bigger budget hasn’t greatly improved things. The old school effects have now mostly been replaced with substandard computer effects and the acting is something to be desired.
I give the first 3 films praise for all being slightly different but this is now the point where my interest has diminished. This entry was OK but nothing to shout about.

This one is where the series goes into "Yeah, they just kill whoever" mode. I know that the movie explains this (because without his human side Pinhead is just pure evil), but the rules and negotiations of the first two films are part of what makes them interesting. I also happen to think that the Cenobite who shoots (exploding?) CDs out of his face is a real facepalm moment.

Athlete A, 2020

They say that you shouldn't go to bed angry, so shame on me for starting this film at like 11:20pm (and then finishing it at 1am because I couldn't stop watching).

Athlete A is a documentary covering the long-running sexual abuse of hundreds of young women/girls by USA Gymnastics team doctor Larry Nassar. The film is told through the lens of the IndyStar newspaper reporters who first broke a story about USAG covering up coach abuse, which then snowballed into the shocking story of Nassar's abuse.

As someone who works with children, who has coached young women, and who has encountered young people who have been the victims of sexual abuse, this story of course made my blood boil. To the credit of the documentary, it says enough about the abuse to understand the scope of it, but it doesn't wallow in graphic descriptions of what he did to his victims.

The focus of the documentary is actually much broader than just Nassar's crimes--instead it repeatedly calls attention to the structures around Nassar and how he was able to manipulate the children in his care. When Nassar's manipulations intersect with some truly horrible policies within USAG (and also possibly some improprieties within the FBI), it creates a perfect storm for a predator.

"Athlete A" refers to Maggie Nichols, a young woman who, at the age of 15, reported sexual abuse. From here we learn that USAG has a policy of treating all abuse allegations as "hearsay" unless it is signed by a victim or that victim's parents. It's just one hit after another as you realize that athletes and their parents are afraid to criticize out of fear that the children will be punished. Multiple adults at USAG who learn about the abuse allegations fail to notify authorities, and it's estimated that dozens of girls were abused in the year between Nichols reporting her abuse and authorities investigating.

Zooming out even further, the documentary looks at the harsh, abusive climate of elite gymnastics. The girls are weighed every day and openly berated in front of their peers. They are persistently gaslighted by the adults--being told that they are not hungry, they are not hurt, they are not sick. And unlike other professional athletes, these girls are mainly between the ages of 10 and 16. They are forced to rely on the adults around them to say what is normal and okay. One girl describes being told to completely undress and thinking that was normal. Another girl describes that her mother was in the room while Nassar "treated" her, but he would position himself so that one hand was visible (and doing legitimate work) but his other hand was abusing her shielded from the mother's view by his body. Because her mother was there, the girl assumed the treatment was appropriate. The women also point out that because the other adults were so cruel to them, Nassar seemed like "the nice one". They wanted to spend time with him and make him happy.

The whole story is infuriating, but I think it's important to see. The question of how children athletes are treated is a huge issue and the documentary does a good job of laying out how elite sports can create an environment where abuse can thrive. And because the USA gymnastics program was doing so well (winning all the Olympic medals), no one wanted to upset the apple cart.

I felt a lot of emotions watching this film. While some of this story is still happening, there are so many moments where your heart just breaks. When one victim comes forward with her story she is openly mocked. People say she's lying to get a cash settlement. People say she's just a bitter has-been. People say that if she let it go on so long she must have liked it. Accusing a popular person of abuse means opening yourself up to abuse from a wider audience--they get victimized all over again. It makes you understand why people are so hesitant to report such crimes, especially when they have no concrete proof.

A harrowing watch, but these young women deserve to have their voices heard.

Entr'Acte, 1924

This was a short (~20 minute) surrealist film from Rene Clair.

Describing the plot would be futile, as the film is intentionally disjoint (at least from my point of view). The main arcs of the film involve shots from a ballet performance, a man attacking a rogue coconut, and a runaway funeral carriage.

Easily my favorite part of the film is what's pictured above: slow motion shots of a ballet dancer as seen from below. It's a great example of how a simple change in perspective can yield imagery that is moving and interesting. For me these shots just never got old.

Generally speaking, I also really liked the extended sequences in slow motion, especially when a large group of mourners runs, skips, and leaps after the funeral carriage. A sequence intercutting the runaway carriage with first-person footage of a rollercoaster was interesting, and for me in particular since another experimental film I just watched (Where Evil Dwells) also used first-person rollercoaster footage.

Overall a fun little film.

1st Re-watch...I didn't think this film could be better the second time around because I thought it was pretty much perfect the first time. Rian Johnson's Oscar for original screenplay was one of the most richly deserved Oscars in this category EVER. Meticulous direction, brilliant ensemble cast, everything works here.

1st Re-watch...I didn't think this film could be better the second time around because I thought it was pretty much perfect the first time. Rian Johnson's Oscar for original screenplay was one of the most richly deserved Oscars in this category EVER. Meticulous direction, brilliant ensemble cast, everything works here.
There are plenty of fun things to notice a second time around. It's just a really fun, light movie.

I agree. Here's my review:
Knives Out(2019)

During a rather lackluster Holiday season of film releases we were treated to a good old fashioned whodunit murder mystery ala Agatha Christie. Written and directed by Rian Johnson (Brick, Looper, Breaking Bad), the setting is in a 19th Century Massachusetts mansion, where it’s patriarch and popular novelist owner is murdered on his 85th birthday, following a birthday party attended by his entire family and staff.

The ensemble cast includes Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Michael Shannon, Jamie Lee Curtis, Don Johnson, Ana de Armas, and Christopher Plummer, who all turn in memorable performances. Of special note is Daniel Craig (007) as a famous Poirot-like detective who plays against type with a creditable southern plantation accent; and Chris Evans (Captain America) as a caddish playboy.

Films of this type can veer into either farce or incoherent complexity, but in this case the picture stays on track and holds one’s interest for its entire 130 minute run time. The story is both inventive and light hearted while avoiding triteness. It’s abundant twists and turns are believable: a Charlie Chan/Sherlock Holmes mystery wrapped up in a very pleasing PG-13 production.

It’s surprising that this solid little film had only one Oscar nomination: Best Original Screenplay, which it certainly deserved. Looking back, Knives Out was surely as good as most of the pictures who were nominated. It received high praise from both critics and audiences, often being placed in the year’s 10 best. If you like whodunits, this is a good one to see.

Doc’s rating: 8/10

Pather Panchali, 1955

I'm going to need some bubble-gum, fluff movie after all of the intensity of the last few days!

The film follows an impoverished family in rural India. While much of the perspective of the film rests with the family's young son, Apu, the rest of the family is also given their fair share of screen time. There's Sarbojaya, Apu's mother who suffers under the familial and social pressure of managing a household on very little money. There's Durga, Apu's older sister, who has a habit of scavenging items and fruit where she can find them. And then there's Indir, a mischievous elderly aunt.

I have absolutely nothing negative to say about this movie. The imagery is gorgeous, the performances are strong and heartfelt. The conflict between the different characters arrives so naturally and is painted with such nuance. For example, the fraught relationship between Sarbojaya and Durga. Sarbojaya despairs at the family's financial struggles. When Durga's thefts adds criticism from neighbors and family, Sarbojaya (horribly, but understandably) takes her frustrations out on her daughter.

There's also something special about the way that the film shows the family's relationship to the nature around them. Sarbojaya is frustrated by her social isolation, but at the same time the woods around them are beautiful. The children run through fields and dance in the rain, even as the same storm threatens to flood or destroy their home. A sequence in which Sarbojaya sits up at night with a sick child while the wind beats at the house was haunting, almost bordering on the supernatural.

As with many films that trade in realism, the film is most memorable for the moments of small gestures, including a final moment of loyalty between Apu and Durga.

It's hard to say whether I liked this one more than Charulata, another fantastic film by Ray. Fortunately, I'm comfortable saying that they are both excellent movies and highly recommended.

Alphaville (Godard 1965)

Anna Karina, that's the best part of the film, though the actor who played the American detective, Eddie Constantine, was good too...He sure looked the part! If you haven't seen this and choose to watch it, know that it's more of an experimental technique film than a sci fi flick...even though it gets tagged as science fiction. It's best to watch this knowing it's meant to be seen as a metaphor for the detrimental effects of a modern society that's too reliant on computers and technology. Or just watch it for Anna Karina

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	1c44200f32bb5be8bcb2b1abf4a5a2f0.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	66821  

“I was cured, all right!”

Elias Junior is a great documentary director. Specialized about "ROTA", one of the Elite Squads of the MIlitary Police (just like BOPE from the movie Elite Squad, but they are specialized in patroling the streets). This film was made with only R$500.00 (U$95.264,82) so yeah, it's very low level of production.

Snooze factor = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Legend in my own mind

Superman (1978)

Haven't watched it for 30 years.

Kind of wish I hadn't watched it today.

So much nostalgia, but I found faults with it that I simply didn't notice when I was 10