MoFo Book Club - Jan. '22

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
I'm fine with this. I wonder though if it gives an unfair advantage to those that nominated more than one book.

Not picking on Austruck, just concerned.
I like this idea, and I'm happy to whittle my suggestions down to just one if that helps. I'd probably choose Cloud Cuckoo Land if I were allowed only one.

We all float down here....
I like this idea, and I'm happy to whittle my suggestions down to just one if that helps. I'd probably choose Cloud Cuckoo Land if I were allowed only one.
Thanks. I think that would be for the best.

I'd like to limit the ranking to top 5 choices regardless how many nominations there are.

Thanks. I think that would be for the best.

I'd like to limit the ranking to top 5 choices regardless how many nominations there are.
So everyone can just send you their top 5 out of:

Empire of the Summer Moon
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Dracula
Dark City
Black Water Sister
Project Hail Mary

So everyone can just send you their top 5 out of:

Empire of the Summer Moon
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Dracula
Dark City
Black Water Sister
Project Hail Mary
Yes. So this month one book will be left off everyone's ranking.

Nominations are closed!

Voting will open as soon as we finalize the process.

Ok, so voting is now open. For this month we will use the following format:

PM me your top 5 choices ranked in order of preference. I will track the choices and once voting has closed I will reveal everyone's choices and announce the winner. We can always amend this process for next month if needed.

A system of cells interlinked
Nominations sent!

Voting will close in ~ 24 hrs.

I'm not sure if disclosing my choices is okay (I assume so?), but I voted for one above the others because I've already read it and will therefore be able to guarantee my involvement in discussion if it wins.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Project Hail Mary is a lot of fun and has one
WARNING: "Project Hail Mary" spoilers below
of the best sidekick characters I've read in awhile.

Suspect's Reviews

Surprisingly, the winner is: Empire of the Summer Moon.

I'll post the votes below. Please check to see that your votes were properly recorded and check my math.

I'm excited to read this. I'm gonna go grab a copy now! The other friend who ranked it as one of his top books of 2021 is someone whose book tastes I respect and admire.

Bought my copy. Decided that paperback at about $13 was better than the Kindle edition at nearly that much anyway. Arrives Saturday and I'll start right in then.

A system of cells interlinked
Excellent. Ordering my copy of Summer Moon now!

I kind of figured my book wouldn't win, what with a couple people already having read it, and I was hoping Summer Moon would win if mine didn't.

Huzzah!

EDIT: Book will arrive Sunday, at which point I will dig in.

I saw which way the wind was blowing and checked Empire of the Summer Moon out from the library on Monday.

What is the format for this club? Is it to give a few thoughts about each chapter or every 50 pages or so?

Do we have discussion questions we want to consider?

Or just more of an open discussion?

Got my kindle version earlier today and have started reading. I was hooked 10 pages in!

A friend of mine who loves this book suggested that I recommend getting a map of TX to anyone not familiar with the state. She says it will help to see where the action took place and visualize the size of the Comanche territory. I'm sure there's something online.

I saw which way the wind was blowing and checked Empire of the Summer Moon out from the library on Monday.

What is the format for this club? Is it to give a few thoughts about each chapter or every 50 pages or so?

Do we have discussion questions we want to consider?

Or just more of an open discussion?
Great questions. I don't know.

What do y'all think?