Lasting impressions

→ in
Tools    

I watched it. I loved the minimalistic beginning. Once everything started getting way more supernatural I thought the movie was going to lose me, but I ended up just liking it more the crazier it got. I must say that while the overall plot was cool, the writing was full of groan-inducing cliches. Still really good though. Thanks!
Did you hate Kim as much as I did?

P.S. That final scene, though. Am I right?

Did you hate Kim as much as I did?

P.S. That final scene, though. Am I right?
I dunno. Token millennial character . One of the handful of token personalities. I didn't like barn-jacket-axe-man, but I think that was by intention.

WARNING: "Void" spoilers below
I did think it was funny that the guy with no character development outlasted almost everyone.

I dunno. Token millennial character . One of the handful of token personalities. I didn't like barn-jacket-axe-man, but I think that was by intention.

WARNING: "Void" spoilers below
I did think it was funny that the guy with no character development outlasted almost everyone.
WARNING: spoilers below
Ha, yeah. Speaking of surviving, how is it I knew she would survive . The movie itself, part of me liked that it went straight to the mayhem. Sometimes an hour and a half of blood, guts, monsters and axes is all you really need. Now if only they'd make a sequel taking place in that realm. All the creatures and chaos? It would be so lovely

Snatched (2017)

I don't care what anyone says, I thought this was pretty damn funny. I fully realize it has flaws, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me laugh. Because it did, a lot actually. I read some reviews just tearing it apart, but really all I saw was a bunch of snooty snootingtons talking snooty nonsense. Oh and some people really hate Amy Schumer for some reason. Perhaps I'm just easily amused, but what I can say for sure is that I liked the movie.

Who Took Johnny

I'm not rating this, because it doesn't feel right to do so. Even if I wanted to it would be difficult to gauge, anyway. This was a very informative documentary on the Johnny Gosch case, which I've known about for a while. For example, I wasn't fully aware of the magnitude concerning its connection to the Franklin case, which is disturbing enough as it is. I also didn't realize just how incompetent and generally uncaring the police force was in those times. Holy ****. I will say that as informative as the documentary was, it was at times also a little off-putting. There were scenes where some behaved questionably. I get it, a lot of time has passed, but when talking about such a horrendous case I wasn't prepared to see people smiling. I know everyone handles things differently, but I still found it odd. Altogether, I would say it's a must see for anyone interested in such cases. Or as an informative source on police corruption and just how far this goes in terms of pedophilia. It really opens your eyes to just how widespread this actually is.

Kenny (2006)

Our dear Kenny works in the waste management industry. It's a tough, disgusting and too often thankless job but he does it all with an optimism that is both inspiring and admirable. Shane Jacobson is a master at creating lovable, funny and generally heartfelt characters that will remain with you until well after the film is over. The mockumentary style of filming compliments the story very well, so kudos to Clayton Jacobson. Speaking of the story, the brother duo (Clayton & Shane Jacobson) also have a real knack in this department. They created a world known all too well in reality, that is the working man's reality. Giving us a glimpse into a profession that is all too easily dismissed, but doing so with a flair of confidence or even fortitude that's motivating. Add to that the humor which Shane is ideal for, both subtle and perfectly timed and you have here a great movie.
loved this movie

Dave Made A Maze (2017)

Visually this is amazing. What they managed to accomplish with just some scrap cardboard is impressive. If only they made some better casting decisions and refined the dialogue, it would've been a solid film. I mean, there were times the cardboard maze had more life than some of the actors (was that the point?). I guess I can't really say they were entirely bad, seeing as there were some genuinely funny moments/jokes. It just really needed work. I'd still recommend it, though. This level of visual artistry should be experienced at least once.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Dave Made A Maze (2017)

Visually this is amazing. What they managed to accomplish with just some scrap cardboard is impressive. If only they made some better casting decisions and refined the dialogue, it would've been a solid film. I mean, there were times the cardboard maze had more life than some of the actors (was that the point?). I guess I can't really say they were entirely bad, seeing as there were some genuinely funny moments/jokes. It just really needed work. I'd still recommend it, though. This level of visual artistry should be experienced at least once.
I couldnt tell what this film wanted to be and dumped it at about the 30 minute mark.

Been a while. Going to try and give this a go again. We'll see how long it lasts this time.

Love and Saucers (2017)

About a man named David Huggins, who claims to be an abductee and attempts to share the story of his erotic ET encounters through art. That story is nothing short of outlandish, and though I don't put much stock into it (but, hey, who's to know) it's still an interesting one. However, the documentary's true appeal is in the man himself. From his down-to-earth (ha, punny) demeanor, to his almost child-like essence you can't help but instantly like the guy and want to know more about him.

The Great Hip Hop Hoax (2013)

The music industry can be cruel, so when it's all said and done I really don't blame these two for doing what they did. Especially during a time where youtube wasn't around to help catapult your career. What they've accomplished is actually quite remarkable and pretty funny. So here are a coupe of Scottish lads trying to break through into Hip Hop, only to be turned down at every turn due to their accent. So one day they decide to pretend to be two American dudes and with that their lives are forever changed. It's a compelling tale of ambition, friendship, and the politics behind said industry.

Dead Man's Line (2018)

The true story of Tony Kiritsis, who kidnapped a mortgage broker and held him hostage with a wired shotgun to his neck. Now, I actually never knew about this case until now and just watching the documentary had my heart beating out of my chest, so I can only imagine what it was like watching it all unfold in real time. Everything is told through news footage and interviews with those involved. This is one of the most intense, well structured docs I've seen in a while. Highly recommend it.

Dead Hands Dig Deep (2016)

I don't really know how to start this off, except to say that this documentary dug deep alright. You're watching someone who is broken, someone who had to deal with some heavy **** in life and came out of it scarred in every way possible. Someone who has a hard time processing his emotions to the point that his coping mechanism is self mutilation (which you do see on-screen, so this isn't for the faint of heart. Trust me). It's a very raw look into a person's psyche and humanity's fragility. It's also a very real look into the inner workings of mental illness and addiction. Just how devastating and unrelenting each can be. It turned out to be too much for Edwin to bear because a year after the documentary was released he committed suicide.

Await Further Instructions (2018)

A family gathering on Christmas day turns into a nightmare when they realize they're being held captive in their home. The movie had great potential but never really lived up to it. I even liked some of the ideas, it's just unfortunate they weren't well executed. The story is not fleshed out at all so you're left with far too many questions. Unless there's going to be a sequel these aren't things you leave unanswered. It basically felt like a shell of a movie, from what I can't help but think was a gutted script. Just seemed rushed and unfinished. Either the writer needs more experience or something happened during production. I don't know, it just seemed very off.

Terrified (2017)

Holy cannoli, is it too much to ask for some buildup? This could've been good if it weren't for the crazy amount of cliches and jumpscares. Seriously, take it easy with the reveals. But on a positive note, the movie does have a pretty nice concept. Instead of watching the usual family dealing with the paranormal we have an entire neighborhood going through it. I liked that and think this idea has a lot of promise. All it needs is someone with a creative spark to run with it and make it work. It also had some pretty great special effects, which really helped bump it up to a 2. But as a whole? No es bueno.

Goodnight, Sugar Babe: The Killing of Vera Jo Reigle (2013)

One of the sickest, most vile things I've seen in a while. I don't feel remotely comfortable giving this a rating, so I won't. This is a documentary about a girl named Vera, who happens to be mentally challenged and decides one day she wants to leave home and live with the Brooks family (often referred to as a cult). The family matriarch Cheri Brooks, who is described as the female Charles Manson ruled the household. Not only were fear and manipulation her go-to tactics, but having been molested as a child she developed a twisted obsession with little girls. Often forcing her sons to impregnate their teenage girlfriends in the hope of them having a daughter to call her own. What she and her family did to Vera, and the fact that pretty much the entire neighborhood knew what was happening and did nothing, is enough to make you want to give up on humanity. But it manages to go above and beyond that when hearing what Cheri did to the children. It's just a lot to process. Pedophilia in general is a tough subject to tackle, but it's especially disturbing when it's a woman committing the crime. It's obvious watching the documentary that we're dealing with people that are not mentally stable and several of them suffer from their own form of mental retardation. Not to make excuses by any means, it's just a sad fact. Many times the police are called in and often would either half-ass their "investigation" or never bother showing up at all. The same goes for social services. Too many cases go ignored and even when mental illness is staring them in the face they decide to look the other way and this **** happens. All because they never receive proper care. So many factors that boiled down to this single event. Don't even get me started on how they handled the actual murder investigation. ****ing ridiculous. Another thing I found unsettling was the constant showcasing of Vera's mutilated body. It just wasn't necessary and felt almost exploitative.

Deprogrammed (2015)

How far would you go in order to save a loved one from a cult? Ted Patrick took it as far as kidnapping and what some deem to be unlawful imprisonment in order to help parents deprogram their brainwashed child. In some cases it didn't seem too different from tactics used by cult leaders, but sometimes you need to fight fire with fire, right? Sometimes extreme situations call for extreme measures to be taken, especially when your kid's life is on the line. Of course it doesn't always work, but hearing the success stories was enough for me. The topic of cults is a fascinating and terrifying one for many of us, and when you think about it we're all susceptible to brainwashing at any given time. There's a comment made in the documentary by a woman who was deprogrammed in her youth which I found true and thought-provoking. She says something along the lines of "everyone's been brainwashed into the lifestyle they've chosen" and to an extent I'd have to agree. It's just a matter of the severity of your brainwashing. This case being the extremist behavior of a cultist.

Aniara (2018)

Based on a poem by Harry Martinson this is an absolutely stunning tale of humanity and its relationship with nature. Though not perfect, its concepts far make up for it. The cinematography didn't hurt, either. Truly a compelling and emotional journey.

Saint Bernard (2013)

With a much, much, much better script this could've turned into something pretty great. It does have some interesting ideas, but the film's saving grace is its special effects. Considering it's a Gabriel Bartalos production I honestly wouldn't expect anything less in that department. So kudos to the SFX crew. Ultimately, I'd say if you're into practical effects this could be of some interest to you. That's about it, really.