Has Lego Gone Far Enough?

Tools    

Have to ask this question, It has been an argument I have been having for a while and could do with some new opinions on it.

With the release of The Lego Movie, leaving money making aside, it seems that it has gone on too long, I dont just mean with the movie i mean with the games aswell, every time a movie gets big Lego jump on the bandwagon and make a version of it. Does anyone agree?

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Nope.

LEGO has lost it's originality.

Years ago, LEGO sets were loads of different bricks in a box that you could use to build anything.

These days though. I bought myself a LEGO set a few months back in a flit of silliness... it was a Jedi Starfighter.
The parts involved in the set can only be used for that thing, in that order.
It's basically a model kit with the LEGO brand attached.

LEGO really needs to go back to, literally, basics.

As for the films though. I've heard nothing but good things and the novelty of them seems to have an audience so it can't any harm.

LEGO has lost it's originality.

Years ago, LEGO sets were loads of different bricks in a box that you could use to build anything.

These days though. I bought myself a LEGO set a few months back in a flit of silliness... it was a Jedi Starfighter.
The parts involved in the set can only be used for that thing, in that order.
It's basically a model kit with the LEGO brand attached.

LEGO really needs to go back to, literally, basics..
That's what I keep saying! I used to love Lego when my kids were little, just boxes of random bricks with little windows. doors and people and plenty of bricks of different colours. Kids used their imaginations and built houses, boats, rockets, cars...anything they could dream of. Then they started bringing in sets where you could only make that particular thing as it had bricks of specific shapes.
and now my big rant is on pink Lego sets for girls...stop making Lego in gender stereotypes FFS!

In fact stop making pink anything for little girls!

Even years back when LEGO made sets of a particular thing, they could be broken apart and turned into something else of a similar nature.

I remember M-TRON and Black TRON... they had ships and land vehicles and stuff that could be broken apart and then rebuilt using the second lot of instructions, and turned into different shaped and sized ships and tanks, all using the same parts.

But that Jedi Starfighter I bought is simply just a model kit and has only one sequence with one purpose, solely because the parts are unusable in any other way than as a Cockpit Carapace or a laser gun.

LEGO has simply become deconstructable AirFix.

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
You can still buy boxes of Lego with different colours, sizes, and shapes. My little 2 year old has them. They have just brought out more variety now. Kits based on one theme as Rodent mentioned.

I agree its nothing more than a brand now or novelty thing, not like it used to be when you would be impressed by what people had built with Lego but if they are just selling model kits now? Tad pointless

I don't agree about the movies and games. Actually, when I was younger, I quite enjoyed Lego's video games.

I do kind of agree about the model kits. It will tickle their imagination a lot more if they can just create something out of nothing, instead of letting them follow a certain pre described plan. For instance, in my opinion, it's also better to give your kid a bunch of blank pieces of paper instead of a coloring book.

I don't agree about the movies and games. Actually, when I was younger, I quite enjoyed Lego's video games.

I do kind of agree about the model kits. It will tickle their imagination a lot more if they can just create something out of nothing, instead of letting them follow a certain pre described plan. For instance, in my opinion, it's also better to give your kid a bunch of blank pieces of paper instead of a coloring book.
I agree, when i was younger Lego helped spark the imagination but now they just control.

You ready? You look ready.

LEGOs have turned into an investment/collectors item. I grew up at the start of the IP LEGOs and the few small/medium size sets I own would be worth a small fortune right now if I had the original boxes and instructions.

The IP LEGOs hold the highest value, especially if they have a super special figure. I only bought this for the TIE Fighter Pilot. And because it was heavily discounted and the only set left. xD

LEGOs sell out before snow storms.

EDIT: And this thread is weirdly placed?