The MoFo Top 100 Westerns: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

*NOTE: John Ford's The Searchers is, no surprise, nowhere near a one-pointer. But what is lonelier or more singular than Duke Wayne's Ethan Edwards in the famous last shot?
What a great iconic pose, and a heavy nod to Ford's and Wayne's deceased pal, Harry Carey.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I've seen Greed and it's an ambitious silent film. I'm betting that's Cricket's as he liked Greed.
Wrong, it's mine.

The renegade apache, Geronimo, circumventing capture thru guile & cutthroat ballsiness, led raids against both the Mexican and United States governments. Even tho this is simply a movie portrayal (performed strongly by Cherokee American actor Wes Studi), actually a real warrior dudebroApacheman. Gene Hackman, Matt Damon, and Robert Duvall appear. I have it second.

Nostro Roster

#2. Geronimo: An American Legend (1993)

"I Should Never Have Surrendered"
-Geronimo

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	geronimo.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	64605  

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
as repetive as it may be:

F@CKIN LOOOOVE the set up, Holden!!!
D@MN FINE job!!!

anyhoo,
of the first four, I have seen Geronimo back when it first came out and have a hard time remembering more than I did enjoy it.
I've tried a couple of times to watch the Sons of Kate and it never panned out.
Warlock is one I've wanted to get to before this started and it didn't happen. Glad to see it make it.

Of the 1 pointers I've seen Drip Along Daffy and River of No Return. Daffy is pretty d@mn funny and River of No Return WAS good but seemed like it should have been a lot better and just had troubles getting there.
1 Pointers are a lot of fun to do and normally I attempt to get one in but with so many Westerns that I had to let go as I filled my ballot I didn't have the heart to try to join the club this time around.

WESTERNS WATCHED 1 out of 4 (25%)

What people here do and don't consider Westerns is a little confusing to me! I voted for Brokeback Mountain, as many of you should have! I'm not sure how it could be defined out of the genre, considering how much the setting and jobs of the characters are both rooted in that world and central to the story and themes. (I'm also still upset you all voted against No Country for Old Men counting! Baffling!) Anyway, you can make it up to me by putting my faves on the list!

What people here do and don't consider Westerns is a little confusing to me! I voted for Brokeback Mountain, as many of you should have! I'm not sure how it could be defined out of the genre, considering how much the setting and jobs of the characters are both rooted in that world and central to the story and themes. (I'm also still upset you all voted against No Country for Old Men counting! Baffling!) Anyway, you can make it up to me by putting my faves on the list!

I should have seen it!!! Never heard it mentioned as a Western, so didn’t bother. Who doesn’t love a good gay cowboy romance I’ll have to check this one out

What people here do and don't consider Westerns is a little confusing to me! I voted for Brokeback Mountain, as many of you should have!
Actually, thinking about it, I struck it from my shortlist early on not just because it didn't really fit my personal definition (though some of the films I did vote for caused me to have to redefine that anyway) but I didn't think it qualified. IMDb classifies it as Drama and Romance.

Actually, thinking about it, I struck it from my shortlist early on not just because it didn't really fit my personal definition (though some of the films I did vote for caused me to have to redefine that anyway) but I didn't think it qualified. IMDb classifies it as Drama and Romance.
I just DMed Holden to ask!

1 Pointers are a lot of fun to do and normally I attempt to get one in but with so many Westerns that I had to let go as I filled my ballot I didn't have the heart to try to join the club this time around.
For me my 1 pointer Ride Clear of Diablo is a
movie. Now I know it doesn't compare to the really great westerns, but I truly love it...and wouldn't have seen it if it wasn't for this countdown

I have no problem with what people want to call a western, but while I haven't seen Brokenback Mountain it doesn't sound like a western to me. Unless western=cowboy hats and the great outdoors

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

The Sons of Katie Elder was a "maybe" for my list early on, but it gradually got pushed down as I watched more movies. But I'm not surprised to see it make the countdown. It probably even deserves to be a little bit higher.

Warlock was actually near the bottom of my list until a few days ago. It got pushed off at the very end by two movies that I watched in the last few days. I'm glad to see that it made the countdown anyway.

I haven't seen Geronimo: An American Legend or Two Mules for Sister Sara. One of the things that I learned while watching movies for this countdown is that I'm not a fan of most of Clint Eastwood's westerns.

Welcome to the human race...
Walker was my #25. It is one of the few Westerns I actually made a point of watching/rewatching prior to submitting my list - admittedly a curious decision because I hadn't watched it in about 10-15 years and the last time I did, I disliked it enough to put on a "worst movies I've ever seen" list. Still felt like I owed it a second chance and that definitely improved my estimation of it immensely (it was in the
range and most of the other titles I shortlisted with that rating looked enough like canonical picks that I felt confident in giving this the one-pointer).

As for the countdown so far, haven't seen a single one.

Incredible Rocky Mountain Race (1977)
The Incredible Rocky Mountain Race (1977) was my 1-pointer. It probably made it onto my list more out of nostalgia than anything else, but it's been a favorite movie of mine ever since I saw it on TV way back when I was about 10 years old. It was a TV movie that I recorded on a VHS tape many years ago, and every now and then I pull it out to watch it again. (Yes, I still have a working VCR. ) It was one of the first movies that I added to my list when I started it, and it never dropped off. If I hadn't strategically placed it as my 1-pointer, it probably would have landed at around #22 or #23 on my list anyway.

It's about a town that gets so fed up with a feud between a young Mark Twain and his neighbor Mike Fink that they scheme to get rid of both of them by sending them both away on a cross-country race to California. It stars Christopher Connelly as Mark Twain, Forrest Tucker as Mike Fink, and Larry Storch as an Indian who helps them along the way. (It probably helps that I was also a fan of the TV show "F-Troop" when I was younger too.)

Brokeback Mountain (2005)
Drip-Along Daffy (1951)
Ride Clear of Diablo (1954)
Of the other 1-pointers, these are the ones that I've seen:

I love Looney Tunes, and I considered Drip-Along Daffy (1951) for my list, but I rarely include shorts on these lists unless they're among the top of my favorite shorts list, and this one just didn't make the cut. But I'm glad to see it got some recognition anyway.

I watched a bunch of Audie Murphy movies for this countdown, and Ride Clear of Diablo (1954) was one the best of them. It was on my list for a while, but it eventually got pushed off within the last week or two of watching movies. I was hoping that it would have made the countdown anyway, but at least it got recognition as a 1-pointer.

I considered Brokeback Mountain (2005) for my list, and it was on my list for a while, but as we got closer to the deadline, I checked IMDB and Wikipedia, and neither site listed it as a western. I looked at the list of movies that were added as eligible on the first page of the previous thread, and it wasn't listed, so I just assumed that it wasn't eligible and I removed it from my list. I'm still not sure if it actually should have been eligible or not as I was on the fence in considering it a western anyway. I was surprised when I saw it listed on the 1-pointers list, but I was only disappointed in that I didn't think to ask about including it on my own list.

I'm surprised that River of No Return (1954) didn't make the list. I didn't particular like it, but with Robert Mitchum being paired with Marilyn Monroe as they float down a raging river to escape hostile Indians and bad gunslingers...I'd thought it would have garnered more points.

River of No Return was my number 25 and I thought it would have had a good chance at being a one-pointer as I have rarely heard anyone talk about it.

I've seen it a few times now over the last couple of years as it's been on TV and I've really grown to love it as a film.

It's so beautiful to look at, the colours that Preminger uses and the way he shoots the landscapes. I absolutely love both Robert Mitchum and Marilyn Monroe too, who both have such an aura about them on screen.