Lucifer

Tools    

A carefree and whimsical Satan roams the earth, finding evil souls to punish while they're still alive.

The lead actor fits the role of Lucifer like a glove... it's worth watching just for his character.
And it's got David Palmer's brother from 24 as an Angel working against him.

It reminds me of limitless - a main character without any stress or red tape solving any problem he needs with barely a lift of the finger.

Just found this thread, but it’s less informative than I’d have hoped. Is it worth checking out? I am always on the lookout for a good apocryphal mythology-themed film/series, but I was a bit disappointed by Dogma and I hated Supernatural, Constantine and Fallen.

Just found this thread, but it’s less informative than I’d have hoped. Is it worth checking out? I am always on the lookout for a good apocryphal mythology-themed film/series, but I was a bit disappointed by Dogma and I hated Supernatural, Constantine and Fallen.
Try American Gods.

I really like Lucifer but I don't know quite how much you're wanting from the mythology/religious side of it.

It's hit or miss in terms of mythological stuff. But I think that the series is good fun and it hits its stride around the end of the second season and has a really solid third season.

You might also like Grimm. It's sort of . . . fluff. But I like the main actors (some of them have especially good comedic timing) and some of their interpretations of myths/folktales are fun.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
You might also like Grimm. It's sort of . . . fluff. But I like the main actors (some of them have especially good comedic timing) and some of their interpretations of myths/folktales are fun.

"Grimm" was a little too graphic for me at times, but it had great characters, and the show was very good.

It's hit or miss in terms of mythological stuff. But I think that the series is good fun and it hits its stride around the end of the second season and has a really solid third season.
Whereas, for me, after season 3 I completely understood why they cancelled it. Season 3 was a good idea which didn't work for me.

I've not seen season 4 yet so, while I'm pleased there is another 2 seasons, I don't know if I'm going to like them yet.

Whereas, for me, after season 3 I completely understood why they cancelled it. Season 3 was a good idea which didn't work for me.

I've not seen season 4 yet so, while I'm pleased there is another 2 seasons, I don't know if I'm going to like them yet.
I always like it when a series is willing to step out of "monster of the week" territory and go for bigger and bolder storytelling. It doesn't always work out, but I think that the same formulas can really start to get stale after about two seasons (something I'm really seeing in Sleepy Hollow).

I always like it when a series is willing to step out of "monster of the week" territory and go for bigger and bolder storytelling. It doesn't always work out, but I think that the same formulas can really start to get stale after about two seasons (something I'm really seeing in Sleepy Hollow).
I agree with you about taking the chance and stepping out and, on paper, I think I'd have gone along with it and been interested. I just didn't like how it turned out.

However, I would also point out that (for me at least) the strength of Lucifer is Tom's central performance and Lucifer and Chloe's relationship, ably supported by D.B. Woodside, Lesley-Ann Brandt and Rachael Harris. Plots are there merely to facilitate the characters. It's one of the few programmes I feel that way about. Usually in this kind of thing, the actors and often characters are there just to tell the story.

Also, special mention to Tom Ellis for not being Gary to me after just a few minutes. Something I'd not thought possible when I sat down to watch this.