Han "Solo" film Under-Performs at Box-Office

Tools    

The Bib-iest of Nickels

Although it's a testament to the sheer marketability of the Star Wars brand that a film can achieve a four-day total (maybe) exceeding 100 million at the domestic box-office and be called a disappointment, that is exactly the situation we're faced with the newly released Han "Solo" film.

From the get-go, the new film was already unlikely to match the success of anthology film series predecessor Rogue One, given the amount of competition (Avengers: Infinity Wars still has mileage left, and Deadpool 2 made over 40 million at the domestic box-office over the weekend (a hefty 66% drop albeit). Still, Solo failed to achieve even conservative expectation.

Solo is set to make a little over 80 million at the domestic box-office for its three-day weekend, and with the Memorial Day assist, it should exceed 100 million. For some perspective, in-terms of pacing, while Solo will finish Monday at about 103 million, Rogue One had finished its 4-day total with 69 million more than that.

The diminished returns continue when you look at the overseas total. Solo posted less than half of what Rogue One did overseas (which is particularly illuminating when you consider Rogue One hadn't been released in China by then).

The current projection thrown around is that the film will fall somewhere around 525-575 million.

The film notably underwent sizable re-shoots, so much so that the film ended up with production costs of (reportedly) 250 million (about 100 million more than Rogue One), and with marketing and advertising likely shooting it up to 350-400 million, the film will find itself unable to recoup its budget through theatrical release (or home-video sales).

A parallel I find myself drawing is the receipts from the Justice League, a film which cost 300 million and ended up with about 658 million. That film was constantly mentioned as a box-office misfire. Some people might mention that Justice League cost 50 million more than Solo to produce, but it should also be reminded that Solo is set to potentially make 100 million less than that film.

This won't kill Star Wars, but I think this will end the Han solo outings.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
McConaughey did you write that yourself because it’s very well written.
Aye. And, I appreciate it. Haha. I take a lot of pride in my writing, I have four books out on Amazon right now, fifth coming in a couple months.

What no boycott stuff cause every where you go theres we showed those who Made The Last Jedi. Bring on Epiosde 9 and Boycott 2 until K.K is gone. You know 3rd grader stuff. I mean taking credit a Star Wars film flopped should cancel your Star Wars membership. I think Solo had lots of things that contributed A Being No Harrison Ford or B No Darth Vader. We learned Fans like the Jedi part or the Rebel vs The Empire stuff. Alos No Boba Fett or Jabba in the movie.

I think Episode 9 will have to be super good to win some crushed fans back but I dont think Episode 9 will feel the Hate Solo did just because how long it is away.

Welcome to the human race...
When you take into account how little difference similar boycotts made to TFA and TLJ, it's hardly worth acknowledging whether they had any effect on Solo either, though I suppose you could argue that the lower box office earnings make the boycott's effect seem more noticeable even if it is a matter of both proportion and coincidence.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Boycott or not, I imagine there are a few reasons this may be happening. Market saturation is a thing, even for good things. Or seemingly good things. I love dark chocolate. However, eat too much too fast and it makes me sick. There is also the fact that not every fan is happy with recent SW offerings. Though we are all still fans, we can have opposing opinions on what works and what doesn't. For some (of us), there has been frustration or at least sincere disappointment in various details within the last few releases. Whether that's enough to inspire an active boycott, I don't think that can be measured. But maybe it has been enough to nudge a portion of the fan base to not be excited in taking part in something that can be perceived as a throw-away cash-grab, especially if recent disappointments color that perspective. Add to that doubt due to production issues and possibly casting (though that may be on the fringe), I think at least a few fans have been turned off. Some as a matter of principle.

Oh well. It is what it is. We are what we are.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I slept on Star Wars sheets and pillowcases. Star Wars fans haven't gone anywhere. Does every one of these have to be a huge money maker? I don't really think so. As Yogurt said, they make all their money from merchandising so to me the movies are and always have been secondary to the actual machine. There was a time not too long ago that a supposed slow weekend like Solo had would have been considered pretty good. There's literally thousands of movies that wish they could get even 10 million in a weekend much less 80.

I think what really needs to happen here is obvious. If Disney doesn't put out good Star Wars flicks then people won't go to them as much as say a new Marvel movie which, like it or not Marvell Haters are just better films right now. Now clearly a company like Disney could just buy Marvel Studios and then its just a matter of scheduling. Let's hope that doesn't happen, cuz then Disney wouldn't really have any competition to make decent flicks.

As far as Solo goes... I haven't seen it yet but I look forward to it. Looks ok to me.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I knew about the Star Wars boycott, but I didn't feel it was worth talking about. Because, in truth, it's less a full-fledged boycott than it is individuals having problems with a film, no different than any other time, but being very dramatic about it. Episode 8's drop-off from Episode 7 has more to do with the inertia and anticipation of Disney's iteration of Star Wars starting to wane and experience diminished returns. If you look at Episode 4 and 5, there's a similar drop-off between them, and there's a considerable drop-off between Episode 1 and 2 as well. Wedge in Rogue One, and Episode 8's drop-off was inevitable.

Solo's diminished returns has to do with mixed-reviews, over-saturation of the brand (Star Wars is not in a state where it can demand the same from audience as Disney does from Marvel fans), and a very hectic market-place (with Avengers and Deadpool 2).

The Bib-iest of Nickels
There's literally thousands of movies that wish they could get even 10 million in a weekend much less 80.
Yes, but of those thousands of movies, how many of them cost 250 million to produce and an extra-100-or-so million on the marketing budget. The debate shouldn't be about whether or not Disney will carry on Star Wars (they will), but undermining the importance of the film's box-office returns isn't right. It's a near-400 million-dollar investment that won't recoup its budget through its theatrical totals and most likely not through help from DVD and Blu-Ray sales. Merchandise helps a lot, but Disney itself likely doesn't enjoy the idea of spending 400 million on a billboard to sell merchandise.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I think what really needs to happen here is obvious. If Disney doesn't put out good Star Wars flicks then people won't go to them as much as say a new Marvel movie which, like it or not Marvell Haters are just better films right now. Now clearly a company like Disney could just buy Marvel Studios and then its just a matter of scheduling. Let's hope that doesn't happen, cuz then Disney wouldn't really have any competition to make decent flicks.
Also, I just noticed this, you're aware that Disney, in-fact, does own Marvel Studios, correct?

When you take into account how little difference similar boycotts made to TFA and TLJ, it's hardly worth acknowledging whether they had any effect on Solo either, though I suppose you could argue that the lower box office earnings make the boycott's effect seem more noticeable even if it is a matter of both proportion and coincidence.
My true feelings is Most people didnt want Solo they Want The Kenobi movie. Ford is Han Solo and DP2 And Infinity War was out and Rogue One had no competition. Also Last Jedi sold a good bit on DVDs. But those Toxic people think there Boycott worked and they crow that it did.

Also, I just noticed this, you're aware that Disney, in-fact, does own Marvel Studios, correct?

Oh, is that right? Well even more to my point then. They really just need to work on their timing then, yeah? Are you also completely certain they won't make their money back? Only been a few weeks. And I can't stress again the importance of merchandising. This is a franchise that was literally built on it.

"May da Shwartz be wid yew!"
Moy-chen-dye-zine!!!

Yeah man! You really can't just write that off. Every story line that has ever been written has always been linked to characters that were created from the first three films and the huge line of action figures that came out during the 80's. I guess there's probably a way to look it up, maybe I'm dead wrong, but it wouldn't shock me if merchandising still far out produces ticket sales to Star Wars flicks.

How do you think The New York Yankees have such a huge payroll every year? They make billions a year on merchandising. Hats, they sell lots and lots of hats.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Yeah man! You really can't just write that off. Every story line that has ever been written has always been linked to characters that were created from the first three films and the huge line off action figures that came out during the 80's. I guess there's probably a way to look it up, maybe I'm dead wrong, but it wouldn't shock me if merchandising still far out produces ticket sales to Star Wars flicks.

How do you think The New York Yankees have such a huge payroll every year? They make billions a year on merchandising. Hats, they sell lots and lots of hats.
You mentioned bedsheets earlier. That got my attention. I had the bedsheets, curtains, and an R2-D2 toy box! Mom painted my room this crazy sky blue one weekend I was with the grandparents. When I got back home I nearly freaked out. Total Star Wars overload. OH OH OH and the C3PO alarm clock!!!!! Loud and ***** though.

Yeah, I think maybe I'm not making myself clear. Every single movie has been a billboard for future merchandising. Understand? It's been that way from day one.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Oh, is that right? Well even more to my point then. They really just need to work on their timing then, yeah? Are you also completely certain they won't make their money back? Only been a few weeks. And I can't stress again the importance of merchandising. This is a franchise that was literally built on it.
I am not completely certain. I never said they wouldn't make their investment back. However, they won't make their investment back through their theatrical profit or their home-video or DVD sales. The root of the discussion has never been about Star Wars' profitability, but, specifically, the "Solo" film. Every Star Wars T-Shirt sold won't be attributed to the success of the Han Solo film, they'd more likely take into account "Solo" film specific merchandise. The film is expected to have 50-100 million in the hole after the theatrical total is considered. Keep in mind, they did those big re-shoots that added a huge pile to the budget. Home-video sales will help cover a lot of that, but not all of it. It goes back to what I said about Disney not wanting to pay 400 million on a billboard (I meant that as suggestion they won't make a Han Solo 2 film, as rumored, and might have second thoughts about Boba Fett).