MoFo Turns 14, shouts "You don't understand me!" at parents

Tools    

Yup, another year, and we're still around. Which is pretty wild, given that when it comes to lifespan websites are the fruit flies of the media world.

Last year, I said this:

When that 14th anniversary rolls around, you're going to be looking at a completely different site, and easily the most dramatic change we've undergone since way back in the site's first few years, when we implemented some version of the layout you still see today.
Yup, that definitely happened. If this isn't the biggest year-to-year change in the site's history, it's certainly the biggest in over a decade.

And the response has been really encouraging: we're on pace to shatter last year's post record (which shattered the old mark), the new server's still purring, and you guys are doing all sorts of cool, spontaneously organized stuff. Like the 1970s list, which-oh-by-the-way, has its deadline tomorrow. Get your list in!

I wanna thank all of you for spending your time here and making this such a cool place. Rest assured I never forget that my contribution to all this is to create and maintain the environment. But that's all for nothing if intelligent, funny, interesting people don't fill it with their thoughts and games and jokes. So thank you, again, for making this site what it is.

A fellow web developer did the logo, so that looks kinda sharp. But it's hilariously dissonant with the rest of the layout. I just sort of slapped it on there.

The software didn't have PMs, avatars, or a thousand other things back then.

14 years for a movie website is seriously impressive. So many others out there that I'm sure quickly fell by the wayside, but MoFo is going as strongly as ever. Here's to 14 more!

Trying to think what I was doing 14 years ago... drinking heavily at weekends... popping pills in the nightclubs...
Watching YOUNG GUNS.

By the way, you were a pill popper?

I was convincing myself that this was cool:

It still has green, the color of Yoda, and the color of rep.

I think I also see JRS there.

Is movieforums.com your main job Yoda? I mean is there income out of this, or is this more for fun?
Nah. It made a modest amount in the past, but has never been an income or anything. It doesn't really make anything right now because I've only just reintroduced ads (and ads in general aren't that profitable these days).

Anyway, there are nice fringe benefits to running a busy site beyond money, since I'm still a part-time web developer. Running this place has helped me learn and test a lot of things on a broader stage than I'd have been able to otherwise.

How many members are left from then?
Probably just Austruck and me, I think.

I think I also see JRS there.
If I remember right, that's someone else.

Trying to think what I was doing 14 years ago... drinking heavily at weekends... popping pills in the nightclubs...
wow sounds like fun, i was in 1st grade probably playing with dirt!

The Adventure Starts Here!
You know, it's not just that this website is this old, but that it's still a heavily visited FORUM site. I used to visit a bunch of forums for all sorts of interests. Almost all of them have either completely died, dried up, or switched over to solely Facebook pages instead.

This is really the only actual forum I still visit regularly. Others are just places I go to ask very specific questions once in a while (usually tech-oriented).

Congrats, Yoda! You were such a little nerdy geek when you were 15!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I just didn't know if you had a full time job or anything. I'd imagine it would be hard to do that plus this site, but I see you make it work.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Creating a site at that age is impressive, but maybe more interesting is your subject choice. Did you have any dreams of getting into the movie industry, Yoda?