i heard Angel is a good Tv Show

was I Heard Right or Not

Please tell me your opinions

and if this is the wrong Thread sorry

Yoda

Just Learning where everything is

Sorry to Everyone on this website

A system of cells interlinked
I am moving this to the TV thread after I reply.

Angel is a GREAT show. On some levels, it's better than Buffy. It has a darker, slicker production that feels a bit more like Batman than Buffy, but the Whedon comedy is there, and the cast, when it eventually settles into a core crew, is top notch. I must say the whole Scooby dynamic on Buffy puts it above Angel for me, and I feel like Buffy's entire character arc over the entire series is stronger in general.

Still, some seriously good stuff in Angel. Season two and three are arguably better on the whole than any of the Buffy seasons, with rock solid writing throughout and very, very few bad episodes, if any. Buffy usually has a stinker or two in any given season.

Alas, as I said, Angel is a different animal, and they never did any episodes in the vein of Restless, Once More with Feeling, or The Body. Whedon seemed to take more chances with creativity in Buffy, while the Angel crew focused on delivering gritty, mystery driven narratives each and every week.

Anyway - Angel kicks ass - Watch it immediately.

Angel is absolutely a great show, I also but Buffy a bit higher but Angel has some really great moments and story arcs.

And yes Spike becomes a regular on Angel in the 5th and final season

The Spike thing was a mis-step, IMO, which didn't quite work that well. It totally diminished the character, for me, as I thought his arc on Buffy was really solid.

Before anyone comments on this anymore, let's remember some people on this site are currently watching Buffy for the first time. Let's not spoil the show for them! One of them has to read the threads, as well, seeing as how he owns the site and all, and tends to keep tabs on pretty much everything.

As Sedai said before, Angel was an top notch show that stood on it's own two feet. It distinguished itself from Buffy and is easily the best spin off from any show ever. At times it even eclipsed it's sister show. Like, the first season of Angel was a far stronger season than season 4 of Buffy which aired simultaneously. Season 2 was also great until the last 4 episodes.

That said...after the first two seasons, I kinda felt that things went downhill a bit. Unlike Buffy, the quality Angel wasn't very consistent, and that's why ulitmately it was never the masterpiece Buffy was.

Weak and lazy storylines such as Angel becoming a
WARNING: "Angel spoilers" spoilers below
dad
was a failed attempt at giving the character a different purpose, not to mention the fact that it messes up the mythology of the show. I mean it was made pretty damn clear on Buffy that
WARNING: "Spoiler again!" spoilers below
vampires can't produce children

And despite having some of the best action/fight sequences I have seen on television to date, season 4 was a mess. That beast storyline ended prematurely and it seemed like Whedon didn't or Minear or whoever was mainly in charge at the time didn't know where to take the story. Too many anti-climaxs in that season, plus even though he is by far my favourite villian in the Buffyverse, the return of Angelus didn't seem to serve much of a purpose to the overall story except to please long time fans.

So yeah, it's fair to say that Angel was up and down between the end of season 2 to the beginning of season 5..which was an excellent season if I do say so myself. As awesome as season 1 and a satisfying way to end the series.

So yeah, ignore the bollocks that is True Blood, get the boxsets, sit back, crack open a can of beer and enjoy

I really liked Season 5, as well, although it seems like most don't. I really liked the whole Illyria storyline, and the puppet thing had me rolling on the floor.

I really liked Season 5, as well, although it seems like most don't. I really liked the whole Illyria storyline, and the puppet thing had me rolling on the floor.
I haven't heard much about other people's comments towards season 5 but I was always under the impression that most people liked it? Meh, guess you can't please everyone, but still, how can you NOT like that season??

Yeah the Illyria storyline was pretty solid, some solid performances by Acker and Denisof there. I quite liked Fred so I was sad to see the character die. The puppet episode was GENIUS! arguably the best stand alone episode of any season. Goes to show you that when the show was at it's best, it was almost untouchable.

Chappie doesn't like the real world

Season 5 was my favorite season, and Illyria probably would have gone on to be my favorite character had there been more time.

Loved the puppet episode.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I have never seen Angel but I have loved Whedon's other programmes so I should give this a go really.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
The Spike thing was a mis-step, IMO, which didn't quite work that well. It totally diminished the character, for me, as I thought his arc on Buffy was really solid.
I agree 100%.

And yea, the puppet episode is right up there with some of the best Buffy episodes.

After his great turn at the end of Buffy I agree that bringing him to Angel was a mis step but at the same time his chemistry with Angel and just the great writing he was given made me forget about that. I loved that he was on Angel.

Puppet episode was awesome and hilarious but you can't forget the Mexican Wrestlers episode it was another hysterical great stand alone episode from the 5th season.

By the time the 5th season aired, it was definitely on par with the best of Buffy, it did take the slightly silly route with the puppet gimmick (which is where i disagree with Sedai when he says it never had the creative episodes like 'Once More With Feeling') and introducing Spike but by that point they were so comfortable with the show and characters it was a strong and natural show. Some of the story archs were a bit choppy and inconsistent but liked how it played out as a slightly more adult Buffy. Heck, after reading Sedai's post i'm gonna start stocking up the show!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Spike joining the cast of Angel hurt the final show of Buffy, IMO.

Suspect's Reviews

Spike joining the cast of Angel hurt the final show of Buffy, IMO.

In hindsight it did. I don't know, I have mixed feelings about Spike joining the main cast of Angel during the final season. On one hand it was a good business decision, considering that Spike was one of the most popular characters on Buffy. Probably THE most popular, so adding him to Angel doesn't really hurt the show as it might have attracted those who were only fans of Buffy.

On the other hand, that reason to cast him seems to suggest that the show didn't really want him for any other specific purpose than to improve ratings, which, is how it does come across. That said, I still loved the banter between him and Angel, and even though it was near pointless to have him around, it's always interesting to see Spike interact with different characters.

Haven't got time to read the thread ATM, but IMO Angel is programme than Buffy. I like Buffy more (much more) but I think that Angel is the superior programme.