Outlander

Tools    

Outlander begins when a space craft crashes into the majestic fjords of ancient Norway and into the time of the Vikings. From the wreckage emerge two bitter enemies: a soldier from another world – Kainan – and a bloodthirsty creature known as the Moorwen. Man and monster both seeking revenge for violence committed against them. As the Moorwen ravages the Viking world, killing everything in its path, Kainan forms an unlikely alliance with the primitive but fierce warriors.

Trailer:
http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer...nder/trailer-b

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I love how they trying to get that Lord Of the Rings nod in there.....but does anyone even knw who the hell Barrie Osborne is? Does his name make you wanna see the movie?

Suspect's Reviews

I know that Wikipedia is free for all to use how they see fit and everything, but please list it as the source when copying from it in the future.

As for Osborn; yeah, I think I remember him from some of the LOTR Extended DVDs. I wouldn't say it makes me want to see this movie, but it might convince me to watch the trailer, I suppose.

if this is anything like the movie pathfinder than I think I will pass on this... however I heard about this when it was first announced and I must say, as stupid as the plot may seem, it does have me intrigued.

It is opening in theaters in 2008. This looks kind of stupid, but it has an awesome trailer. I guess it would be OKAY, but I won't get my hopes up just yet.

When I first saw this as an upcoming project months ago I rather assumed it would be a big screen adaptation of Diana Gabaldon's successful series that starts with Outlander. Her books are sort of a cross between The Time Traveler's Wife and Highlander. You've got time travel, swords and battles, but at its core it's a romance. That's probably what's stopping it from becoming a movie, that it would need a huge budget like an action movie but its target audience is really chicks. But The Time Traveler's Wife, a phenomenally successful book by Audrey Niffenegger, is coming for the end of this year, starring Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana. I suppose if that becomes a hit it may pave the way for Gabaldon's Outlander...though now they'll have to look for another title.

As for the movie that this thread is devoted to...looks like a hunk of *****. Vikings, space men, dragons? Why not throw in a time traveling animated talking monkey, wise-cracking vampires, and Jason Voorhees, too? The only real puzzler is how did Uwe Boll not direct this?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A PHD in Whiskey and Stonerology
Holden, I wouldn't pass judgment so fast on this. The premise sounds somewhat lame, but at the same time it sounds like one of those things that could be very enjoyable if only it didn't take itself seriously. And for that, we'll have to wait and see.

I'll have to mention this thread to my mom; she knows Diana Gabaldon a little bit, if I remember correctly.

Funny little story vaguely related to the author; I was playing a game of Trivial Pursuit with a group of people at some party thing (intoxicated trivia = hysterical), and was, if I may say so, doing extremely well.

A girl read a question from a card (not aloud) and laughed with delight at how bizarre and esoteric it was. Something about "this author wrote a series of novels about a woman who travels back in time to Scotland to..." etc. Very goofy sounding, from the description. She reads it aloud, prefaced by "okay, he can't possibly know this one." It was for the other team, though, so I got her attention and mouthed the words "Diana Gabaldon?" across the table, at which point her eyes went wide and she started pointing and yelling "yes! I can't believe it!"

Wish I had video of this, because the look on her face was priceless. You don't often see shock that genuine. Goodtimes.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Yeah, I was secretly hoping this was for the Gabaldon series -- I'm a huge fan. I actually got to read huge chunks of the very first book while Diana G. was writing its first draft and posting pieces on the LitForum of CompuServe for questions on things like Scottish dialect, etc. (since she wasn't a published novelist then at all).

Somewhere around here I have the printout of one of those scenes -- which I printed out on my daisy wheel printer on scrap paper way back around 1989-90 or something. Crazy how incredibly great the series is (she's a natural storyteller). She's working on Book 7 right now (each book takes her at least 18 months to write), and her fans are usually bummed if the books come in at under 1,000 pages. We just never want them to end.

I did get to meet her once at a book signing in Cleveland in 2001 when The Fiery Cross came out...

But anyway ... you guys are talking about some OTHER Outlander movie ... which won't be nearly as good.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Side note to those of you who know fellow member Gracie (who is Yoda's sister): It was during a chatty online forum discussion with Diana Gabaldon about numbers of children in a family that she changed my mind about stopping at just two children. I had jokingly said that I was nervous about the children outnumbering the parents in any household....

She said having her third child felt like a completeness (I'm not sure I remember just how she said it), that it was a delight having three. So I rethought my previous qualms about more children than adults ... and we had Gracie (and eventually Addie) not too terribly long after that.

hey did anyone see and like this? I enjoy Jim Cavaziel in all his movies, but the buzz around this one is that it was released to 81 theaters to very mixed reviews. does it really matter? a year ago, I wouldve said Id watch it anyway. that was before I watched 10,000 B.C. today? not so supercharged on the barbarian age movies. i wont even watch Apocalypto.

To me this movie looks sooo stupid. I mean the plot is too damn over-used and I can't stand the fact they are trying to become successful by throwing LOTR in there.

Yeah, I was secretly hoping this was for the Gabaldon series -- I'm a huge fan. I actually got to read huge chunks of the very first book while Diana G. was writing its first draft and posting pieces on the LitForum of CompuServe for questions on things like Scottish dialect, etc. (since she wasn't a published novelist then at all).

Somewhere around here I have the printout of one of those scenes -- which I printed out on my daisy wheel printer on scrap paper way back around 1989-90 or something. Crazy how incredibly great the series is (she's a natural storyteller). She's working on Book 7 right now (each book takes her at least 18 months to write), and her fans are usually bummed if the books come in at under 1,000 pages. We just never want them to end.

I did get to meet her once at a book signing in Cleveland in 2001 when The Fiery Cross came out...

But anyway ... you guys are talking about some OTHER Outlander movie ... which won't be nearly as good.

Not sure about this... but thought you might be a wee bit interested...

Outlander

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)