G.i. Joe

Tools    

Nice TUS, I posted a bunch of stuff about this flick on another forum and then the strike hit and I wasn't sure if they were even going to make this flick, I'll scrounge around and see if they've come up with a cast yet. I think they were trying to get Mark Wahlberg to play "Duke".

From USA Today:

G.I. Joe refers to the team, not any one person, and Snake Eyes is its mysterious lone wolf. In the movie, shooting now and set for August 2009, this fearsome figure is played by Ray Park (Darth Maul in the first Star Wars prequel).

"He's the world's greatest ninja, but he's also next-generation. He's not afraid to use a sword one second, and a split-second later he's pulling out his Glock," says director Stephen Sommers (The Mummy and Van Helsing). "His chief nemesis is arguably the world's other great ninja, Storm Shadow. The two grew up together, were blood brothers and now are mortal enemies."

Channing Tatum (Step Up) plays all-American team leader Duke. Rachel Nichols (Alias) plays the crossbow-wielding Scarlett, Marlon Wayans is paratrooper Ripcord and Dennis Quaid is the commander, Hawk.

On the evil-doer side, Sienna Miller plays the raven-haired Baroness, Christopher Eccleston is Destro, the arms dealer who hides behind a silver mask, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt (3rd Rock From the Sun, Brick) plays multiple roles, including the Cobra Commander.

Transformers producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura also is overseeing this project. He says the appeal then, as now, is broad, across race and even gender. (G.I. Joe was one of the few toys for boys that had female characters.)

"There are quite a few characters in it, and almost certainly a character in which an audience member can see themselves, or want to be," he says.
Sommers stresses that the movie is an origins story, so his challenge is to explain why the bad guy wears a metal mask, why Snake Eyes doesn't talk and other strange things kids took for granted. "For people who know nothing about it, it'll make sense," Sommers says. "And to people who love this stuff, it'll show where they all came from."
Wow, I wish Bay was doing this one too, although Sommers is Ok I guess, I liked Van Helsing and The Mummy alright.

I'm glad they went ahead with this flick and didn't go after Walberg, it actually looks like most of the talent is on the "Cobra" side. Sienna Miller is Smoking hot. Rachel Nichols is alright but she's no Sienna. I'm sure Lennon will be happy to see Dennis Quaid making an appearance.

Yeah, very cool indeed those two. I wonder how they are planning to make this an origin story though, seems like they are gonna have to just bombard us with flashbacks to get all the sheep up to speed and then get into the story. But hey, this is Hollywood, they know what they're doing right?

"He's the world's greatest ninja, but he's also next-generation. He's not afraid to use a sword one second, and a split-second later he's pulling out his Glock,"
Almost had to censor this line...

I haven't seen the G.I. Joe cartoons since I was 4 or 5 yrs old, so I don't remember any of the characters. It still looks like it will be a good movie.

ok it seems that this is snake eyes so who are the rest of the characters I mean Cobra Commander and the rest that are in the movie.Where is Sci Fi fuy when you need him?

hell yea this looks sick!!! i wish i had one of the suits!! the guys at the lounge would love me then!!
I don't know.
Is it Captain Howdy?

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Scarlett's first photo:

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
yes sir

i'm actually pretty excited about this one

In the Beginning...
So according to IMDB, we have in the pictures above...

1. Snake Eyes
2. Duke
3. Scarlett
4. Ripcord
5. General Hawk? (wtf, I would have guessed Flint, who isn't even listed)
6. Breaker? (again, wtf, I would have guessed Tunnel Rat)
7. Storm Shadow
8. The Baroness
9. Destro (why no mask?)

Why cast Ripcord and Breaker, but leave out bigger names like Ace, Dusty, Shipwreck, Tunnel Rat, Wet Suit, or even Bazooka? I can see leaving off Lady Jaye, Beach Head, Road Block, and others because status quos were already met (woman, leatherneck marine, black guy, etc.); but in the first film outing, wouldn't you want to throw a few more fan favorites in there? We might not get another chance!

And while I'm all for disregarding race for any role, why choose to change the races of Ripcord and Breaker when you already have guys like Doc and Tunnel Rat, who are black and hispanic, respectively?

And what is the deal with these:

Brendan Fraser ... Gung Ho
Joseph Gordon-Levitt ... Cobra Commander
Actually, I think Gordon-Levitt might turn out to be a pretty good decision. I was thinking Edward Norton myself, but whatever. Somebody seemingly puny, but strong in spirit. Still, Frasier as Gung Ho is just silly and wrong. I can't wait to see that train wreck carnage.

But let's not kid ourselves. "Good acting" in this film will only be equal to "acceptable acting" in anything else. G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra is going to steam like a dragon's turd.

The Snake Eyes promo is really the only thing selling the movie to me at the moment.