Prometheus

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think Ridley Scott tried to do too much with this movie. Mid-life crisis, perhaps?
I think that Ridley Scott is about 75.

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
I think that Ridley Scott is about 75.
So his mid-life crisis actually occurred around "Thelma and Louise," then?

When was the last genuinely good Ridley Scott film?

I'm a bit put off by the amount of coverage the prequel sequel is getting, makes this seem more and more like a gimmick filled with hookum they'll try and "explain"/retcon in a sequel. Seems almost correlation between slatings and confusion to discussion of sequel filling in gaps. Meh. I'm a bitter cynic.

American Gangster was good. But besides that, this has been his best effort in quite some time.

I think had it been very clear from the beginning that this was meant to be the start of a trilogy or series or whatever then sequel prequel talk would have been alright, but yeah, we're kinda been robbed, mate.

I love thinking about movies. However, when there's hardly a theme in the film that was even addressed, it's quite difficult to bother.
Exactly. There's a difference between a film that makes you think and one that's such an incoherent, incomplete mish-mash that you end up desperately trying to put together pieces that don't fit. The latter type of film is simply playing its audience for suckers.

I thought American Gangster was great. I'm kind of bias though cuz I love Denzel Washington.

A system of cells interlinked
Loved this. Still talking about it, still THINKING about it, and want to see it a second time. I hate that all the complaints I've read about it on various sites is that it forces the viewer to do the "Heavy Lifting" OF THINKING instead of just giving you answers. I like that it's making me do a bit of work, actually. The conversations with my GF about the movie and what it means have been just as fun as seeing the movie itself.
Right there with you, Monkey. My friends, my GF and I have all been having a blast talking about the film. Plenty to chew on there, IMO.

When was the last genuinely good Ridley Scott film?
My previous comment was harsher than I intended. I thought Prometheus was a fantastic thriller, only I didn't want to understate or ignore the fact that a lot of stuff that was presented as climactic or central to the script was completely peripheral and uninteresting to me. I guess it's unavoidable to when there's 130 million dollars and a merchandisable cosmology on the line.

I really like Ridley Scott in general, too. Off the top of my head I can't think of any movies by him that I've taken a strong disliking to, and the only ones I haven't seen are Legend and Someone to Watch Over Me.

Netflix changed my life.
Seems to me that the problem with a lot of movies coming out lately is they are trying to cram too much stuff into a movie that's a couple of hours long. You end up with herky jerky story movement, lack of character developement, and a dis-satisfied audience.

Alien was terrific because it was so frickin' simple, the terror was there, but other than the exploding chest, most of it was implied. Same with Aliens.

I think a lot of the disappointment with Prometheus is because the fan base was expecting to see Alien. I liked the movie, but not for the storyline, I just love sci-fi, space movies, and it didn't disappoint in that aspect. I didn't like the frenetic pace needed to get all the story information into the allotted time.

The pace of a movie is something that I am appreciating more and more.

Purveyor of Incredibility
★★★★ 1/2 (out of 5)

Prometheus is a brilliant visual sci-fi marvel. Ridley Scott has given us an epic film that survives independent of the Alien movies even if it is somewhat of a prequel to the series. The look of the film is arresting from the onset. The opening sequence, presumably on Earth, sweeps through a massive lake and waterfall, up the cliff face and to a single living being. The being is human-like, but not quite human. He drinks something that causes him to decompose rapidly. Eventually, his DNA ends up in the water where it seems to recombine and, again, presumably, become human DNA.

While many films presumptuously try to take God or Darwin’s side, Prometheus side steps the issue by not trying to give us an answer. At the heart of the movie is a faith vs. science discussion between Elizabeth and her boyfriend, Charlie. They’re both scientists searching for our origins, but for very different reasons. After finding proof that we are descended from some alien beings, Charlie states it as a proof for Darwinism. After all, we evolved from them. Elizabeth is quick to point out they don’t know who made the alien beings.

There are a slew of characters surrounding these two on their quest. The Weyland Corporation shells out a trillion dollar spacecraft to aid in their mission as well as an android named David. In yet another amazing performance by Michael Fassenbender, David is one of the most interesting androids you’ll ever see. Fassendbender doesn’t make the mistake of playing him as too robotic in his movements. After all, it is 2093. No, David is somewhat distant in his knowledge of what it means to be human on the inside, and in his dark humor delivery of words. He’s not like the Terminator. David learns fast. So fast in fact that he can learn almost anything from alien language to human motivation. It’s his motivations that are a big secret throughout the film.

Weyland employee Meredith Vickers’ motivations are more transparent. She’s the boss. She’s in control and she makes sure people know it. Charlize Theron gives Vickers compassion. This type of role often seems to be the one dimensional cold hearted bitch, but what separates Vickers is that she’s logical. She sees a contaminated member of the crew trying to board and without thinking burns them to a crisp with a flamethrower. Between Meredith and Elizabeth there’s plenty of girl power on the ship.

Not to be completely outdone, the ship’s pilot provides a very much needed nonscientific member to the mission. He’s the “coolest” character, and for how little screen time he has, it’s quite amazing how much we see his character evolve. He may not understand fully why things unravel as they come undone, but he understands his role in the process.

The most interesting scenes are in a pyramid on an alien planet capable of sustaining life. There’s a great sense of tension and discovery in the pyramid. We don’t know what we’re going to find or how we’re going to find it. We find holographic recordings from the past that give us a peek into what happened in the pyramid and David unlocks even more of it’s mysteries in a visually arresting scene where he explores one of the rooms by himself.

The visuals are what sell Prometheus. These are the best effects since Minority Report, and the cleanest since Jurassic Park. The 3D is also the best ever easily outdoing Avatar or Transformers 3. There’s no darkness or loss of contrast or color due to the 3D, and the depth of field is enhanced flawlessly without resorting to the “jump out at you” 3D effects. Whether the film is quietly taking us on a spaceship to another planet or delving into a horror nightmare in the third act of the film, the look is never sacrificed.

Prometheus is easily my favorite movie so far this year. Due to it’s highly philosophical nature, it’s not quite as mainstream as 20th Century Fox may have wanted it to be, but it is one that will please true sci-fi audiences for years to come.

Purveyor of Incredibility
Exactly. There's a difference between a film that makes you think and one that's such an incoherent, incomplete mish-mash that you end up desperately trying to put together pieces that don't fit. The latter type of film is simply playing its audience for suckers.
I completely agree Arch. We do disagree on which side of the fence Prometheus is on though. I think it does a good job of addressing it's theme of faith without blurting out what the viewer should believe. That would defeat the purpose because it wouldn't let us grow and have our beliefs (and Dr. Shaw's belief's) challenged in the process.

While I loved Prometheus, I completely acknowledge the numerous logical holes or "characters doing something absurdly stupid" moments in the film. I do think it still succeeds in making you think and surrounding Dr. Shaw with people that think differently than her in a variety of ways.

This is what happens when you want to appease your loyal fans while trying to earn the approval of new audience- a movie that thinks its too smart for a summer blockbuster.

A system of cells interlinked
But, it's a far more mainstream and family oriented flick...I would have bet cash Madagascar would be in front this weekend.

Madagascar movies are cute too!

WARNING: "Prometheus" spoilers below

I thought the whole point of the prologue was showing us how life on Earth was created. Either way, my main issue with the maps was how would the primitive societies painting them KNOW of the stars considering it's explained they're not even viewable by eye. And why take pains to even draw them as the societies had no means of reaching them? I'm sure if you try hard there's a reason but it's still contrived for my money. I thought it was explained that the bio-weapon/black goo got out of control and killed the engineers but the storage of it seems odd as there's a cargo hold then the Face Room, not really primed for delivery.

Anyway, it's said the engineers decided to destroy us about 2000 years ago before they were wiped up, which cancels out the we've become too advanced theory, much as that would answer a few questions. Maybe it was the coming of Christ they were worried about

You think that's why David was destroyed? I thought that was pretty open but potentially something he'd said. I'd have liked that scene to play out a bit longer as i'm sure whatever David said to the Engineer would have outlined his true motives a lot more clearly.

I think David spiking the drinking is a lot simpler, just to see what would happen. I like that almost dangerous curiousity about him, though would have liked to have it emphasised a bit more than ambiguity as it remains unclear. What undermines this most though is why he never seems interest in what happens to her and what was growing inside, considering this curious streak. Just another example of all cause and no effect in the script. I think he's not bound by Asimov's laws, yet seems more advanced than Bishop or Ash in his seeming ability to learn and have curiosity and experiment opposed to being bound by restriction or a strict order/mission. There's the scene where Bishop is mesmerised by the facehuggers, yet he never seems to have that childlike obsession of David.

I think the film would have been a lot better if it was the LV-whatever planet the others were set on and neatly dovetailed, i.e. that was a Queen born who layed the eggs. The only thing about that alien evolving into the one we know is that there was a muriel on the wall which seemed to depict the typical xenomorph, so it seems they were originally aware of the species. I suppose, considering Alien, the spaceship with the eggs on, was a similar ship designed to unload a bio-weapon, only this time it was the organic pods opposed to the Engineer designed jars. So the engineers obviously seem to have a way of producing the eggs and aware of their potential.

WARNING: "Possible spoiler" spoilers below
The impression i got was that the cave paintings were showing the engineers pointing to the star map almost to say "this is where we, your creators come from, hence this is where you are from" The ancient civilizations saw them as their creators, but as religion started to grow (and i think in the context of the film, particularly Christianity) people started to believe that god created us, and we forgot or lost sight of who are true creators were - the engineers, and as such, they got kind of angry, and wanted to destroy us for forgetting them. Just an idea.

Didn't he like redistribute a "newer" version of Alien in 2003? Or are you using sarcasm?

Haha like "I gave you life, and I can take it away" kind of thing? lol