Should movies be made available on youtube?

Tools    

what do you think?

Depends on the movie. If they're very old, yes, I think that's probably a good thing. If they're new, no; movie piracy is easy enough as it is and the more we erode the industry the less, in time, will be spent on such films, the less gambles will be taken on unconventional ones, and the less studios might spend on finding and highlighting independent films (IE: Fox Searchlight).

If the question is actually whether or not there should be a simple mechanism by which we can pay to watch relatively new movies on YouTube, I'd be all for the studios trying it to see if it's at all profitable. I think there are probably plenty of smaller films that would benefit greatly from that kind of expanded reach. But most wide releases probably wouldn't, at least not yet.

I hope some kind of solution is reached on this front, because I am increasingly fed up with people's behavior at theaters, and would gladly pay the same price (or maybe a tad bit more) to have new releases playing in my home.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Yoda, what are you talking about? I love the long lines, getting the back of my seat kicked, hearing cell phone ringing, loud obnoxious conversations, large groups of people coming in late and making you stand up so they can get to their seats. I adore the couple that comes in way late and asks you and your family to move over so they can sit together. And I truly love the couple that sits in front of you (not the 5' girl, but her 6' 9" boyfriend) And I live for the large group of boisterous teenagers sitting right behind me. It's a grand movie-going experience!

deathroman13
Maybe for the old movies but not for the new ones.
It's pretty annoying to watch movies on youtube. But if you can watch old movies on youtube, maybe some more people will buy the dvd's of it.
But I still prefer watching movies at the cinema.

If the copyright holder allows it and wants it, sure. I guess.

What are you really asking?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Well it depends on the movies..
If they are really old then they should be added in youtube but I disagree about the new ones because they I feel very annoyed for watching shows or videos on youtube...

No. Watching youtube sucks, mostly.

Don't be so friggin lazy. Join a torrent tracker, download it and burn it to a dvd and then watch it on your LCD 40" TV.

Absolutely not. youtube should be for trailers and funny cat videos exclusively.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Depends on the movie. If they're very old, yes, I think that's probably a good thing. If they're new, no; movie piracy is easy enough as it is and the more we erode the industry the less, in time, will be spent on such films, the less gambles will be taken on unconventional ones, and the less studios might spend on finding and highlighting independent films (IE: Fox Searchlight).

If the question is actually whether or not there should be a simple mechanism by which we can pay to watch relatively new movies on YouTube, I'd be all for the studios trying it to see if it's at all profitable. I think there are probably plenty of smaller films that would benefit greatly from that kind of expanded reach. But most wide releases probably wouldn't, at least not yet.

I hope some kind of solution is reached on this front, because I am increasingly fed up with people's behavior at theaters, and would gladly pay the same price (or maybe a tad bit more) to have new releases playing in my home.

That certainly seems to be the direction plenty of documentary films are going. At least the ones that aren't backed by a major studio. The festival circuit is all well and good, but increasingly i am seeing non-fiction films on google video and the like to either help generate buzz to aid in landing a DVD distribution deal, or one that provides a link to the films home site.

I am one consumer that this approach has worked on. I prefer to own the hard copy of Doc films if at all possible as the extras are often a real treat, with complete interviews of subjects that may get a few minutes in the final cut of the film.

For those interested in these sorts of offerings,

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/

When it comes to short films, B movies and rather obscure oldies, yes, I agree that those movies should all be available on youtube. Yet, though, one wouldn't be able to have a digital (or physical - DVD, Blu-ray) copy of the film, which sucks, since I like to keep the films I enjoy. About having to pay for those films on youtube, I believe there are already many websites where one can see those not so known films (theauteurs.com for example) by pay-per-view, so it wouldn't be anything new.

Whatever. I'd make use of it.

DeadPin or KingPool?
Documentaries, old sports reels, foreign fan subbed shows, that's it as far as I'm concerned... We have to many websites advertising false films and shows to lire you in... And it even happens on YouTube when I search for a misic video... Otherwise the only thing YouTube should be doing is promoting the new hungry film makers and artist...

I agree with most people that have posted to this question so far. If the movies are older why not, or like other sites, pay for the movies or at least have the option. I would love it if movie studios would allow people to watch movies at home the same day they are released in theaters. There are movies I will always want to watch in the theater but a lot of times I don’t have the time to go. It would be a lot more convenient at home. To only be able to watch on computer would not be preferred option but like Netflix downloading, I have youtube through my tv and that would be great.

There are those who call me...Tim.
Pretty much as Holden says, as long as the copyright holder has given their permission then it's fine by me.

I've seen plenty of interesting* documentaries and fictional pieces on Google videos in the past few years that I probably would never have seen if they weren't there.

It's a terrific way of getting your own films out there in the big wide world. If you're good at spreading the word you could get yourself a few hundred thousand views (maybe a million or two!), which would likely be a lot more than the average person could in the past (speculation of course).

*Not including Loose Change

y would u go to youtube when u have sites lyk novamov and megavideo for that?

Some movies are available on Youtube.

yep some are, but there in parts like part 1/64 lol

Some of the ones I've seen are usually broken up into around ten parts.
i know i was being a funny a** lol, ten parts is still very annoying tho.