MovieMan8877445's Top 100 Movies

→ in
Tools    

Swan, you've actually met or chatted with someone who didn't like Shawshank? Wow, I'm amazed, maybe they did a stretch somewhere and the rape scene brings back horrific memories.

Anyway, looking like we're right at the end MovieMan, looking forward to it.
I've never met someone who didn't like Shawshank, but there are a lot of people who find it extremely overrated.

That movie's beggining was the definition of underrated, it's climb up the popularity ladder is equalled by none. Mind you it did see some recognition from the Academy, which is a rarity for them to be ahead of the curve.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I think its original gross was somewhere just under 30 million, but word of mouth and cable tv helped that film to make it to I think # 1 or 2 on imdb.

10. Dirty Harry (Don Siegel, 1970)

This is my second favorite character from Eastwood, he just plays the role say great. I also really loved the 70's movie type of feel I got from this, I thought stuff from the 70's, like Starsky and Hutch, were great so I was really happy to see it in this. And the .44 Magnum he uses is just great, but I do think the 'Do you feel lucky, punk?' is a little overrated though, I mean it wasn't that amazing or anything. I think this is a movie that everyone should see at least once.

9. The Incredibles (Brad Bird, 2004)

This is my all-time favorite animated movie, I just really love superheroes. I also really loved the Watchmen feel I got from it, because a lof of things in it really did remind me of Watchmen. Jason Lee did a great job playing the villain, his character was probably my favorite throughout the whole movie. Samuel L. Jackson was hilarious in this though, he was definitely my second favorite character in this. Anyone who's looking for an animated movie to watch needs to check this one out because it's great.

8. Memento (Christopher Nolan, 2000)

This movie is just a masterpiece in everyway, it's done so differently, but it works so amazing though. It's definitely not your traditional movie, but it's just done so amazing, I could definitely consider this movie art. Guy Pearce is just perfect in this, I can't express how amazing he is in this. Everyone really needs to watch this movie to get why it's so great though, you definitely won't be disappointed if you do.

7. No Country For Old Men (The Coen Brothers, 2007)

This movie is nothing, but perfect. I don't see how any movie fan couldn't like this one, because it's just perfect in every way. Javier Bardam is just amazing as Anton Chirgurh, Anton is probably in my top 3 favorite villains of all-time. He's just so amazing in it, I don't even think I can describe how amazing he is in it, because he's just so damn amazing. The ending is definitely complicated though, it actually took me a couple of watches to get, I guess you could say, because the first time I got done watching this, I was just ike WTF just happened when it ended. It definitely deserved 'Best Picture' at last years academy awards.

6. The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly (Sergio Leone, 1966)

My favorite western of all-time, with my favorite actor of all-time starring in it. The music for this was one of the best things about it though, it just really got me pumped. And boy, what an ending, I just really loved it. The Showdown between the three of them getting ready to shoot each other was just awesome. I would probably put that scene alone in my top 5 favorite movie scenes of all-time. Everyone who loves westerns really need to see this if they haven't already.

5. Batman Begins (Christopher Nolan, 2005)

This movie is the perfect superhero movie IMO, it's still barely not quite the best though. Now I'm a huge Batman fan, so I absolutely loved this movie, it was the perfect Batman movie for the longest time, up until The Dark Knight came out. Ra's Al Guhl was also a very amazing villain, Liam Neeson is one of my favorite actor's though, he was just really great in the role, I just wish he could've got some more screen time. Christian Bale is the best Bruce Wayne though, maybe not the best Batman, but the best Bruce Wayne definitely. Any Christian Bale or comic book fan needs to check this one out.

4. Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994)

Now this was my favorite movie for the longest time, it got pushed down a few spots since though. Tarantino is still my favorite director though, and this is by far his best movie. This is also by far Samuel L. Jackson's best movie, he was just so perfect in this. Anyone who hasn't seen this yet really needs to check it out sometime soon because I'm postive you won't be disappointed.

3. The Dark Knight (Christopher Nolan, 2008)

Now I was hyping myself up for this movie so bad, I don't even think I could explain all my hype for this movie. And it certainly lived up to all of it, especially Heath Ledger, now if he doesn't get 'Best Supporting Actor' this year at the academy awards, I'll be really upset because he deserved it more than anyone. This movie is just like the Godfather of superhero movies, this is way more than just a popcorn movie and everyone needs to see this if you haven't yet.

2. Leon: The Professional (Luc Besson, 1994)

This movie is just so amazing, everyone really needs to see this movie, they won't be disappointed. It has a great mix of action and drama in it, and it's all done so perfectly. Gary Oldman is just amazing in this, he's my second favorite actor of all-time and this is my favorite movie of his. He just does such an amazing job playing the villain in things, and he also did a great job acting crazy because he sure can act crazy for his roles in movies. If you haven't seen this movie yet, you need to go watch it now.

1. Mystic River (Clint Eastwood, 2003)

This movie is just so amazingly powerful, all the acting from the entire cast is just top notch. The story for it never slows down once right from the very beginning of it, and I love that. And it has the most powerful ending of all-time I think, it also has a great twist added with it too, it may not be quite a twist like Se7en or Fight Club, but it sure is a great twist. This movie is just the perfect example of extrodinary filmmaking and Clint Eastwood is surely an extrodinary filmmaker, and he is my second favorite director of all-time. My favorite scene for this would definitely be the one in the image I added with it, because it's by far the most powerful scene of the movie with the best acting that I've ever seen. If you haven't seen this yet, you really need to get seeing this.

I'm surprised that Memento is on your top 10. I didn't know you liked it that much! Mystic River is also a great film.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
20. Dawn Of The Dead (Zack Snyder, 2004)

I don't know, maybe it's just me but I really love this movie. This was one of the first zombie movies that I ever saw, and I automatically loved it, it's what made me love zombie movies so much. Zack Snyder is such a great and underrated director, because I've seen him get quite a bit of crap. I actually have a lot of hope for Watchmen because he's directing it.
I'll say one thing: I hated 300. But the more I watch Dawn of the Dead the more I like it. Such a great ending.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
10. Dirty Harry (Don Siegel, 1970)

This is my second favorite character from Eastwood, he just plays the role say great. I also really loved the 70's movie type of feel I got from this, I thought stuff from the 70's, like Starsky and Hutch, were great so I was really happy to see it in this. And the .44 Magnum he uses is just great, but I do think the 'Do you feel lucky, punk?' is a little overrated though, I mean it wasn't that amazing or anything. I think this is a movie that everyone should see at least once.

I've gotta say, I wasn't impressed by Dirty Harry, Clint's character was just to unbelivable to me.

Nice list, lots of my favourites. Probably too many recent films for a rounded list, i imagine many of those will have gone by time you come to doing a re-draft, as many do. Would suggest some foreign films as well

Great top ten MovieMan, I had guessed what a few of them were going to be due to some of your previous posts. Thanks for all the effort you put in to making this. Are you going to add any new movies you see that you think would belong on this list, as a sort of supplement?

Great top ten MovieMan, I had guessed what a few of them were going to be due to some of your previous posts. Thanks for all the effort you put in to making this. Are you going to add any new movies you see that you think would belong on this list, as a sort of supplement?
I'm probably gonna do it again a few months down the road, maybe even a year down the road, once I see some more movies, because there's still a lof of movies that I need to see, so once I see as many of them as I can, I'm probably gonna re-do this list.

I didn't really like Lady in the Water that much. I tell you, M. Night is ruining his career. The Happening sucked, and I bet 5 grand next movie he makes will be a flop.

I'm probably gonna do it again a few months down the road, maybe even a year down the road, once I see some more movies, because there's still a lof of movies that I need to see, so once I see as many of them as I can, I'm probably gonna re-do this list.
Yeah, Watchmen might be on my top 10.

I didn't really like Lady in the Water that much. I tell you, M. Night is ruining his career. The Happening sucked, and I bet 5 grand next movie he makes will be a flop.
I really loved Lady In The Water, it just has some amazing storytelling with an amazing score to back it up. I liked The Happening, while it may still be one of my least favorite Shymalan movie, I still liked it. My least favortie Shymalan movie, which I still liked, was The Villiage, I think it was just too slow paced for me, I really loved the ending though.

Yeah, Watchmen might be on my top 10.
Yeah I actually doubt it, because I really love the movies in my top 10, and I'm not expecting to like Watchmen more than that. I mean I am hoping to love it, but I already know it's not gonna be perfect, I mean it's incredibly short for how long Watchmen is supposed to be (which I'm glad that they're gonna be a super long director's cut that's gonna come out), and the ending was changed. I'm still really hoping to still love it though.

Damn that Watchmen was good. I'm really looking forward to see what they do with it in the film (I mean, that ending alone is pretty crazy), not expecting it to be the same as the graphic novel though, I don't think that's possible. Hurmm.

But anyway, thanks for getting into that little discussion with me over 2009 box office grosses Movie Man, that's what reminded me I needed read it.

I had no interest in Watchmen until yesterday, when I saw that Carla Gugino was in it. Short of blisteringly good reviews that make it sound interesting, I still won't be seeing it on its release, but I might check it out sometime in the future. She is one sexy lady.

I had no interest in Watchmen until yesterday, when I saw that Carla Gugino was in it. Short of blisteringly good reviews that make it sound interesting, I still won't be seeing it on its release, but I might check it out sometime in the future. She is one sexy lady.
Her character actually isn't gonna have much screentime in it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Well, she doesn't have much screen time in Sin City, but "what's there is cherce" (quoting Spencer Tracy in Pat and Mike).

I am half agony, half hope.
Nice top 100, MM. I enjoyed it very much.

Johann von Goethe