The Cloverfield Paradox

Tools    

This might just do nobody any good.
Man, that thing I said about character over concept? Yeah...

I'm in the minority here

I ****ing loved it. Thought the strangeness of the whole thing was exciting and fresh. I loved the fresh perspective in New York, even if it wasn't as exciting, and It has three black leads which is fresh for a film like this.

Very good cast, gorgeous music, and pretty fun to watch. A major nod to films like Alien & Black Mirror.

10 Cloverfield Lane wasn't just about the monster outside the bomb shelter.. it was more about the monster inside the bomb shelter.. the Human Monster .. each human possesses this.. it's by our own actions if that monster comes out or not.

كُنْ فَيَكُونُ
The immediate thing I thought even just in the opening of the movie alone, is that the first two had quite a confined filming style (10 C.L. being literal) but this one was free cinematography and went all over the place, which didn't give it a "Cloverfield look" and it had plenty of CGI, so..........

I didn't love or dislike the Cloverfield Paradox (unlike how I LOVED the first Cloverfield and loved 10 Cloverfield Lane too a lot in it's own right). The first two where really compelling (despite how they have flaws, like every movie) but the Paradox felt more like a last-minute thing.

10 C.L. had the whole thing of "is he telling the truth or not, are there things going on out there?", which gives a good reason for the Cloverfield inclusion.

But for the Paradox, it does feel less planned, and in a sense; hamfisted. There are only a few Cloverfield hints, aside from the 2 second clip of the Clover monster at the end. It feels like JJ Abrams took the "lets make a pill that explains everything" approach, as a defense strategy, possibly for not knowing what to do with Cloverfield after 10 C.L.

I do still wish he'd do that movie that takes place simultaneously with the first film, to be honest :'(

I didn't like 10 Cloverfield Lane or Paradox, they were both trash. They were both predictable and not thoughout clearly. I read in the comments 10 Cloverfield was originally a different story called The Cellar and they changed it to relate to the first movie, that was obvious, it didn't work. Same situation with Paradox, I went into the movie thinking it was going to explain what was going on and how it started, but it didn't. It shot them through space and told an unrelated story. It almost seemed like they couldn't think of another name for an original movie that is not related to Cloverfield so they just slapped the name on it and were like "See, they are related". Trash.

hosted by an Average Moviegoer and a Movie Guru
Think thats BS. I think they used the Cloverfield title to pull in the audience. Apparently 10 Cloverfield had 3 previous titles before they actually went with the Cloverfield title.
I agree with you. The alternate universe thing could be used to tie any movies together and abused to create plot twists with ease **cough cloverfield paradox cough**.

My co-host AJ (our aspiring movie critic) told me that the Cloverfield Paradox was originally going to be a standalone space survival movie but was bought by the studio to join the Cloverfield franchise.

- Charlie, your average moviegoer

Also answers to Jabba
I just finished watching it and I thought it was merely ok. People love interconnected film universes which is why this got the Cloverfield title, but the connection felt a bit random. I liked some of the ideas that were included regarding the merging of two dimensions (the woman inside the wall was a great example of that), but some went overboard-like the hand. I was surprised to see Chris O'Dowd from the IT Crowd in such a film, until his character became something of a comic relief.

It certainly borrowed a lot of themes from various films that take place inside a spaceship but little things like the flooded chamber freezing in space or the moving wall in the hand scene were nice touches. All in all, they could certainly have done a better job with it, and even though it was probably the worst addition to the franchise, it was still watchable.

PS. Did anybody understand why in O'Dowd's death scene, the magnetic glue he used strangled him? It started going towards the wall like the rest of the tools, but the moment it reaches him it turns back like a hand (very Evil Dead) and grabs him. It seemed very paranormal-ish and made no sense.